• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevilMan

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Overrated:
Evangelion
Noir
Fushigi Yugi
Saiyuki

Underrated:
Patlabor
Fist of the North Star
Shin Getter Robo
Brain Powered
Hakkenden
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I think some of you are confusing "overrated" and "overexposed". Sure, Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Rumiko Takahashi's stuff, and Akira is becoming more and more recognized and mainstream (amongst anime fans and maybe regular people), but I don't think they're overrated just because lots of people have watched it. I think the ones I mentioned are really quite top notch and that some otaku have gotten sick of hearing about them over the years and mark them out as overrated now that they've found new, more obscure anime to adore.

Quote:
Dragon Ball Z is definitely overrated.What is so interesting about people beating the crap out of each other over and over again!It has nostory or interesting parts!Please remove it!

So far from the truth! If you're judging from a quick surface glance, you really won't get it. How much have you actually watched? If you really want the full feel of it, start with the classic DragonBall series when Goku was a kid. There really is quite a long continuous story to DragonBall. Yeah, there's lots of fighting, but there certainly is much more to it than that, and I really hate it when people are quick to judge like this when DragonBall really is quite a great series and continues to endure as a classic today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Actually it all has to do with opinion, how many people know about it, and experience from "certain" fans.

In other words if you were to not like a certain show because you did watch it and told those fans why you didn't like it: Those fans either scream at your guts or act snobbish towards you.

While alot of members over at OLS.Net liked both OLS and CB, I got snobbish treatment by CB fans at AnimeNation's forums because I said I liked both shows. And the some of the Trigun fans were just insane over there. Now not all fans are like this, but some of these guys give people bad names by how they act.

As for obscure anime, I try to promote what I like in hopes that it might get a fanbase. I'm not someone who freaks if someone shows an interest in a anime I like.
I mean I only know about 4 or 5 people very well who happen to be KO Century Beast fans so far.

Another problem is that some fans of an overrated series don't try to watch other series, as in the case of some DBZ fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ferquin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. To me, it just seems like when an anime goes somewhat mainstream, all the anime snobs that liked a certain series when it was obscure suddenly do a 180° and turn their noses up to it and say, "Oh well I like *insert super-obscure title here* way better! That stuff is so played out and overrated now that I've found *super-obscure title*! You're such a newbie! LOL, blah blah blah..." It's this elitist sentiment amongst many anime fans I run into and it just makes me wanna scream about their hypocracy. Me, I try to find positives in a series. I'm actually pretty easily entertained and many series, no matter how crappy many people say it is, are okay in my book. I guess yeah, it really boils down to personal opinion, but it's this elitism that I'm sick of and I'm noticing it in this thread, and this usually is the start of flame wars. I'm not trying to start anything, but a lot of the answers are the same, but they're also the names of really great anime series, and I'm beginning to wonder if people are just parroting each other or they genuinely have an opinion that they aren't backing up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll play...

Overrated:

Evangelion
Why?: Not really because of what it is, but because of what it could have been. The budget was blown way to fast, we could have gotten a much better ending. Half the time I think Anno came up with the idea of people coming up with their answers and reasonings behind Eva after he found out the budget was drained for the TV series. But, maybe this was all part of his master plan, well, I really don't have a problem with leaving with questions, but personally that's all I've left with. Thinking's fine, but I draw the line at having to research (which admitedly I did just like everyone else). I don't hate the show, I liked it enough to buy it and a lot of merchandise to go with it, I just don't think it deserves all of the hype.

Cowboy Bebop
Why?: Ok, it's cool and edgy and it's got a great soundtrack with some killer animation and perfect VAs. So what could possibly be wrong? Story. Where's the story? What the hell IS Cowboy Bebop about? It's a series of one shot episodes that don't mix at all other than retain crew members all the way through, but there really isn't any congealment until the last couple episodes. You could actually wach the first episode, the first Ein episode, the first Faye episode, the first Ed episode, and the last couple episodes and be no worse off than if you watched every episode. It's just one filler episdoe after another. Yeah, it is a good series, but really no better than anything else out there.

These two seem to be the ones that fight it out the most, both claim to be number one and I honestly don't believe either of them are. What is? I don't know if i can answer that, I've yet to finda series that has worldwide appeal and is flawless in everyway (or atleast near flawless).

Underrated:

Vandread/Vandread Second Stage
Why?: I never her anyone talking about this great series! It's kinda like and updated and more complicated Galforce. It's got so many great qualities going for it, it's well writin, funny and serious (often at the same time), complex, has great character desins (and lots of them!!), beautiful animation along with a great use of CGI, and just an all around great series. One thing that really makes it shine is the writer's ability to actually creat culture. They didn't just say "we've got the guys over here and women over there and that's the way it is" They actually went and wrote a whole culture for them and any other groups they run accross creating names, words, and phrases that become part of their dialect and civilizations. Really took strides to divide the sexes. Did that sound too fanish?

Magic Users Club
Why?: You've really got to bit your toung when labeling this series. You want badly to call it a magical girl series, but the senior members of the club are guys. You want to say it's Shoujo, but there are so many scenes with big boobs and bikinis that it starts looking more shonen. It's got both Yaoi and yuri instances so that doesn't help really. There's love and action. What the hell is it? Dunno, I still haven't figured it out. However I do have a point, MUC is a series that anyone can watch. Sure if you're used to watching just Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, and DBZ you're not going to like it as much as someone who enjoys Goldenboy, hand maid May, and Love hina. OK, I'll just get to point: Great animation, a great story (one of the few cases where the OAV comes first and the series takes off directly from where it leaves off), and over all well writen. What I really like is how they include a character that is a total enigma to anyone watching and just as much of one to the characters in the show. They don't even make it clear what the sex is of the character, everyone seems to see it differently. I'm just really happy with the way it was writen, holding the secrets all the way to the end, making you think, making you wonder, and actually giving a clear cut answer in the end. But once again no one talks about it. Sad

Man, I could write a book on underrated anime...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hmm... this is easy... I'll do my favourite one:

Overrated

Spirited Away

Underrated

Kiki's Delivery Service

Why? Because, to be frank, I don't usually give a crap about the subtext** ... I mainly care about the "surface" narrative level of a story and, especially, the characters. Kiki I care about on so many levels, and I can relate to her and sympathize with her. Chihiro/Sen, honestly, I never really cared for much as a character... all I care about was that she finds her parents and gets out of the weird spirit world. Also, and this is more personal preference, I liked the visuals of the city and the flying in Kiki's Delivery Service a lot more than the "imaginative" sights in Spirited Away.

Plus, of course, Kiki's Delivery Service didn't defeat my beloved Lilo & Stitch in the Oscar race, heh heh...

**Or, at least, I don't care unless the subtext moves me or is interesting to me on some level; merely the fact that anime A has a deeper subtext than anime B doesn't automatically mean I have to like anime A more. I've read all the popular explanations for what Spirited Away really "means", and none of them really do anything for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:49 am Reply with quote
From what I have noticed about anime the ones that are over-rated are the ones that introduce you to anime, for example: Dragon Ball Z, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Sailor Moon, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Where as the under-rated anime tend to be ones that you have never heard of, or are recomended by otaku on a message borad Wink My personal picks for under-rated anime are: Perfect Blue, Voices from a Distanct Star, and Ah! My Goddess OVA.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:13 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with LaughingHyena; Overrated means that people give it way too much credit for being really, really good when it might not actually be that good. I consider Cowboy Bebop to be massively overrated; the series is episodic and takes forever to develop the characters because it's so obsessed with style and pacing. Yet, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't say it was better than sex with a figure skater on Christmas morning.

Underrated.. this one is harder. It has to be something most people don't like or shrug off or ignore. My candidate in this case is Slam Dunk, a show most otaku claim to 'hate' but nine-tenths of them have never seen. Slam Dunk is a fun, interesting and often exciting shonen romance series that happens to also be about basketball. People hate it though, because it has icky sports in it, and we nerds aren't allowed to like sports!

-Zac
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Overrated? Underrated? As a guy with the name " Movie Guy" sayed over at the Tinker's guild forum. (Paintball tech forum) The only way to fully enjoy or dislike anything is to, Not watch previews, not read articles, Don't listen to other people's opinion. Completely close yourself off from anything about what ever it is your wanting to see or play until your able to see it for yourself. The only titles I've bought from hype is Akira and Maybe the X movie and those were the very first I ever bought. but all else is from wondering into a store and looking at the different titles. For instance, Kenshin and Trigun. Didn't know a damn thing about either of em. Bought them, and liked them, now there on TV. Was there production hype? Very Happy Its pretty hard not to want to listen or read anything especially as violent as advertising can be.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I am avid Eva fan. It is one of all time favorites. That being said Evangelion is overhyped as someone put it. The reason is some of its fans are rabid fanboys and girls who think anybody saying eva is not the best is commiting blasphemy. I don't think its fair to call Eva overrated because like First Gundam it was completly revolutionary. Sure it is easy to take potshots at some choices made by Anno and the budget, but just because you don't like it doesn't make it overrated because it still has the title of being the most revolutionary mecha anime since First Gundam.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Coral Skipper, I'll try to keep this on topic, but I have to disagree with you. Evangelion was not necessarily revolutionary, just a good idea.

Masamune Shirow's works, as well as those of Yoshiyuki Tomino and Shoji Kawamori, have much of the ideals that Anno thrust into the forefront of his "magnum opus". The key concepts of identity, power, and man's role in the universe are readily explored in Kawamori's Macross, Shirow's Appleseed & Ghost in the Shell, and Tomino's Zeta Gundam and Gaia Gear. They were simply less abrupt about it. In my estimation, Anno was heavy handed and crude in his presentation and came off as little more than the angsty teenagers that he created. I appreciate the shot in the arm Evangelion gave to mecha anime and that its presence has given us excellent series like Raxhephon and Argentosoma, but it was not truly the tour de force everyone claimed it to be.

But then, it's all relative to one's own opinion. Isn't it?
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Someone actually thinks CLAMP is overrated??? wow. I'd like to check your shelf and see what anime dvds you got in your collection, Gatsu. I'd bet the overrated stuff takes up a good amount of shelf space. Twisted Evil

I'm glad that someone mentioned Please Save My Earth. It was a little short, but still very well done, particularly the dubbing.
KiMasterMike

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of that. This whole thread is relative to one's opinion. One person can say eva is way too overrated and overhyped, but another person...who is just as avid a fan as much as the next person...thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. It's cool to get into these discussions about the reasoning behind peoples opinions. But It's not fun anymore when people start telling people that they are just soooo wrong about something. I personally am an eva fan. I own the series, movies, and lots of merch as well...but I definately see the point that it is overhyped. That said it still is a top notch series in my opinion. Some of the series that are being called overrated...I disagree with lots of them. Cowboy Bebop is a great series in the respect that its episode-to-episode story is what makes it good. Some series don't follow one linear storyline and most of the time, that's what makes it great. We'll all get bored pretty quick if all we see is straight story and no random fits of insanity. A lot of us mock those episodes that have nothing to do with the rest of the show...but if they weren't there...I know I'd feel that something was missing. I though Excel Saga was a great series...not for its story, but for the lack thereof. I could go on for hours about this stuff...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:00 am Reply with quote
Overrated
Fushigi Yuuji - Almost everyone I've spoken to adores it, but I just find a girl falling into a book and then falling in love with a mysterious swordsman seems plucked out of a cheap, uncreative fantasy.

Underrated
Pokemon - It's tough seeing one of my favorite anime being bashed almost unanimously by anime fans, often with unjustifiable reasons. Maybe being too popular in its first year hurt it, but for me, it's still the only monster-training anime that is truly engaging and 90% of the series is wonderful and entertaining. And its Japanese opening and endings are the wackiest and best in all anime. :)

Quote:

So far from the truth! If you're judging from a quick surface glance, you really won't get it. How much have you actually watched? If you really want the full feel of it, start with the classic DragonBall series when Goku was a kid. There really is quite a long continuous story to DragonBall. Yeah, there's lots of fighting, but there certainly is much more to it than that, and I really hate it when people are quick to judge like this when DragonBall really is quite a great series and continues to endure as a classic today.

I've watched all of DBZ, and while I still think it's the best anime as far as cliffhangers go, it definitely could be vastly improved. Too much ridiculous and contradictory filler, and the animation quality was often terrible. The manga is brilliant -- the anime should've done a direct translation with just 100 episodes. Maybe the Namek 5-minute explosion would've indeed be 5-minutes. :)

radicaledward wrote:
From what I have noticed about anime the ones that are over-rated are the ones that introduce you to anime, for example: Dragon Ball Z, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Sailor Moon, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Where as the under-rated anime tend to be ones that you have never heard of, or are recomended by otaku on a message borad ;) My personal picks for under-rated anime are: Perfect Blue, Voices from a Distanct Star, and Ah! My Goddess OVA.

Perfect Blue underrated? Every review I've read so far is positive. Everyone I know loves it, except me (I just get turned off by gore, but I do understand the purpose it served)

Ferquin wrote:
I think some of you are confusing "overrated" and "overexposed". Sure, Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Rumiko Takahashi's stuff, and Akira is becoming more and more recognized and mainstream (amongst anime fans and maybe regular people), but I don't think they're overrated just because lots of people have watched it. I think the ones I mentioned are really quite top notch and that some otaku have gotten sick of hearing about them over the years and mark them out as overrated now that they've found new, more obscure anime to adore.

Excellent point!
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:16 am Reply with quote
Coral Skipper wrote:
I am avid Eva fan. It is one of all time favorites. That being said Evangelion is overhyped as someone put it. The reason is some of its fans are rabid fanboys and girls who think anybody saying eva is not the best is commiting blasphemy. I don't think its fair to call Eva overrated because like First Gundam it was completly revolutionary. Sure it is easy to take potshots at some choices made by Anno and the budget, but just because you don't like it doesn't make it overrated because it still has the title of being the most revolutionary mecha anime since First Gundam.

I agree with Coral Skipper on this. Eva actually the very first anime I bought when I got a VCR. I do think Eva tends to be overhyped, but tht doesn't mean it's a bad show. Eva took the giant robot concept and took it in a new direction. Eva's a great show, regardless of the hype.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9