• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion #1 at Amazon - Sort of...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I saved a screengrab, might be usefull when I see the umpteenth story about "SERENITY IS STILL IN THE TOP TEN!" on digg and few odd message boards.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
I would think they would HAVE to honor it if you paid for it. If not, what they are engaging in is false advertising. I know this happens in stores sometimes, where the price on the box is cheaper than what it rings up as. If you complain enough, you can usually get it for the lower price. You can't advertise a price for a car and then when you show up, you find out it's actually a higher price. Glitch or not is irrelevant.

Read their policy on pricing. When you order/sign up from them, you have to agree with their policy on "misprice" item. Everyone that got their order cancle should have recieve a nofication of their policy. Store and business create policy and have the right to refuse service to protect their investment.

Also a accidental "misprice" is not false advertisement.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
The proble is that since Amazon.com advertised the $5 price they were obligated to sell that item for that price at the time the orders were placed. They can't backtrack and say "oops we goofed so now you get the higher price." That philosophy just doesn't work. I imagine that the FTC, the BBB and the State Attorney's General will be filing complaints against Amazon.com once the complaints start rolling in.

Class Action law suit? LOL this has been done already on other "misprice" item and usually never win unless they can prove it was false adverstiment or breach of contract. And yes business can goof and still protect their investment because of the policies they setup. That's why there's a term of contract to protect businesses.

I say the majority of people who order Evangelion knew it was a misprice (from site like slickdeals and fatwallet) and were trying to take advantage of the situation. And while most knew that it their order would be cancle when they place their order. But we still get people who are mad because they couldn't take advantage of it. It makes you wonder who the real victims are.

Caro-chan wrote:

EDIT: About honoring the offer - I'm pretty sure what other people have said on here is true: if your credit card was immediately charged for that price, then I do think they have to honor it. If there's a delay, though, and you actually haven't paid for it yet, then they can change it back. I could be wrong, though.

You are wrong because it's not necessary true.

Last edited by darkhunter on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:38 pm; edited 16 times in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
I would think they would HAVE to honor it if you paid for it. If not, what they are engaging in is false advertising. I know this happens in stores sometimes, where the price on the box is cheaper than what it rings up as. If you complain enough, you can usually get it for the lower price. You can't advertise a price for a car and then when you show up, you find out it's actually a higher price. Glitch or not is irrelevant.

It doesn't really count as false advertising in this case, because false advertising is when you deliberatly mislead the consumer. This was a mistake, and so by definition not deliberate. Amazon sent everyone who bought the set an email basically telling them politely that there had been a mistake and that the order had been canceled. And that's that. Their system is pretty much set up to allow them to cancel any order, and when you sign up with them you have to agree to that.

Considering how many thousands and thousands of items Amazon has, this kind of thing probably happens every day. We're only hearing about it because this time it happened to an anime-related item and it ended up on the bestseller list.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

I say the majority of people who order Evangelion knew it was a misprice (from site like slickdeals and fatwallet) and were trying to take advantage of the situation. And while most knew that it their order would be cancle when they place their order. But we still get people who are mad because they couldn't take advantage of it. It makes you wonder who the real victims are.

I did that with a King of the Hill boxset at a Wal-Mart once, where some of them were marked $27.99 CDN while the regular price was, I think, $36.99 CDN. They had to sell it to me at the cheaper price, but, as soon as I bought it, they closed the electronics cash for a couple of minutes as they rapidly removed the other stickers.

If it had been a mis-pricing on the Amazon goof scale, I probably would just have pointed it out without buying, since I'm only a little bastard, not a big one. The King of the Hill misprice seemed "nickel-and-dime" to me, but I know the Amazon misprice isn't even wholesale, so they'd be taking a bath.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Actually, Amazon.com is required by Federal Law to honor those prices if you ordered them and paid for them at that time..... It's there, all retailers are required by law to honor the advertised price.

This does not apply to online sales. They may cancel your order and refund the money at any time before they ship the item. The sale is not considered final until the item has been shipped. What they are not allowed to do is charge you the higher amount without first sending you an email saying "We screwed up, please contact us to agree to pay for the higher price or we will cancel your order." This is very clearly written in most stores policy pages.

In the case of outpost, it is like making a reserve on the item and then they send it to you when it is in stock.

Also, the #1 was for the day. It will fall back down to where it belongs within 24 hours.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

I did that with a King of the Hill boxset at a Wal-Mart once, where some of them were marked $27.99 CDN while the regular price was, I think, $36.99 CDN. They had to sell it to me at the cheaper price, but, as soon as I bought it, they closed the electronics cash for a couple of minutes as they rapidly removed the other stickers.

If it had been a mis-pricing on the Amazon goof scale, I probably would just have pointed it out without buying, since I'm only a little bastard, not a big one. The King of the Hill misprice seemed "nickel-and-dime" to me, but I know the Amazon misprice isn't even wholesale, so they'd be taking a bath.

Amazon or other companies will sometimes honour prices if it's a small mistake on a smaller scale. But with thousand of people and thousand of copies order with such a huge discount, it usually never get honor online. So if some one knew about the deal, they should have just order it instead of posting it on "deal" site for thousand of others to see.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I work for an online retailer and mispricings can be devastating if not noticed. Online stores charge very little markup on their products and rely on the lack of overhead to make money. When something is accidentally priced dramatically under wholesale cost and there's a dramatic run on the product, it can eat up a lot of profits. I'm sure this is true even for a large retailer like Amazon. Even if it was only marginally under cost, honoring those prices could ruin a smaller company.

Anyway, we do turn down mispriced orders without fear of false advertising claims. The major fear is not the threat of a lawsuit, but that customers won't take future prices seriously.

As to the credit card queries, it usually takes a day or two for the charge to be settled with the bank. During that time, it's very easy to cancel the unsettled transaction. They don't even appear on the statement and technically "never happened." Once it's been settled with the bank, then credits and refunds have to happen and those do appear on statements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how accidental pricing laws work, but I don't think anyone should be acting like they're entitled to a $5 DVD boxset.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
I don't know how accidental pricing laws work, but I don't think anyone should be acting like they're entitled to a $5 DVD boxset.

Exactly. Everyone can just rest assured that nobody is legally entitled that 'deal.' In fact, the contract which was set in place for each individual order was cancelled by Amazon, per conditions set forth within that contract, which lays out the remedies they are entitled to in this type of situation. Those who wish to make the effort to read the commerce code, will notice that the system is setup to protect both the merchant and the consumer. They are allowed to set forth protections in certain circumstances. What they aren't allowed to do, is purposely screw you.

As for how this caught attention so quickly. Ordering systems such as the one Amazon employs spend their time watching trends on items. When one suddenly starts taking huge hits off of inventory, especially when we're talking 100's out of stock for each order, it gets flagged for review. What gets it caught so quickly, is that greedy people tend to get exceedling greedy when they have the chance. Instead of trying to get one or two at the reduced price, they have to break the bank thinking they will get a nice profit. Instead, they get everyone shut down that much faster. Ironic, I think. This happens quite often at Dell. They usually let the first hundred or so orders through (well, I'll say the first 100 that are not the greediest of the greedy), unless they are really taking a hit. In the world of dell, they are always taking some kind of hit.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
People didn't realize that $5.99 was a typo? Give me a break! There is absolutely *no way* you could get the Platinum set for that price. Even so, the real price for that set is way too high, considering that it has no extras. I also thought the Azumanga Daioh thinpak was overpriced. I have them both, but I turned in used DVDs at Suncoast to lower how much I was going to pay. I don't like the idea of paying almost $100 for a set with no extras.

Tammy
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Heck, I got the Eva Platinum Set for Christmas, so I paid nothing.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
They should honor it. It was their fault. I'd buy it for six bucks, turn around and sell it for 60. Turn it a helluva profit.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone want to buy it anyway? ADV will be repackaging that set till eternity ends.... or until they put out the next volume of the Noodle Fighter Miki manga Very Happy I mean, come on, this is the third monkeying. I'm sure eventually, there will be more versions of Evangelion than Stargate. I would buy the set if they dropped the last two episodes and replaced it with the End of Evangelion movie. Not the same publisher, so it probably will never happen. But the last two episodes of that series just ruined the rest of the show, not unlike Wolf's Rain. His and Her Circumstances was a much superior work by Anno. Now, THAT is a series that needs to be cleaned up an re-released! Exclamation
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:23 am Reply with quote
caro-chan, that is wrong. It's like walking into a retailer and you find a $50 DVD boxed set priced wrong at $5. SInce you haven't paid for it yet what you're saying is that the retailer doesn't have to honor that price.

The moment that you have it in your hands the retailer can't do anything about it because it's as good as bought. The same thing where concerns when you placed that Evangelion set in your shopping cart, Amazon is obligated to honoring that price. If they don't, I'm sure that those involved could file a lawsuit against Amazon for not honoring the price and Amazon could be found liable.
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
I have no love for big business, but I don't think they should have to honer those prices.

In a brick and mortar store it's different. False advertising is a problem, because brick and mortar stores make it their job to get you to spend the time (time is money) to actually come into to their place of business. A honest price misprint is easily and quickly fixed (unless it's in a printed ad) and little damage is taken overall. However, an online store, people from all over the world can stream in before the problem is solved.

It's important to hold brick and mortar stores accountable for pricing errors so that they can't pretend to make mistakes on a continuing basis, in an attempt to get crowds. (Larger chains have had to honer mistaken prices in print ads, which is one reason print ads are now very closely edited and looked over) What kind of time was waisted to the consumer for an on-line store? One click, really.

In any account, I managed to get to the link when it was still 5.99, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't be honored, so I didn't bother. If I thought they would honer it, I'm not sure what I would have done.

-Eric
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4