• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Twilight Graphic Novel's 350,000-Copy Run in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, shows its fans are overwhelmingly paying for their shit, unlike manga cows. Yen Press would be wise to continue mining where the money is - young tween girls and their moms. Laughing

Tch, if they were real fans like us, they'd have scans of that stuff online within days. Cool
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Yen Press is making what appears to be a good amount of money on their OEL titles (Twilight and Maximum Ride et al), and I wonder if they'll have any success launching series that aren't based on best-selling books. (Also, where's my Harry Potter manga?!) Even if you don't like Twilight, you have to appreciate that the money the company makes on that title is helping them keep up their high printing standards, so we're kinda all benefiting from that.

I wonder how many-- if any-- of the people who buy the Twilight graphic novels have been turned on to manga in the process? Like, where does one purchase these books in a store? With the other Twilight books, or with the manga?
I haven't been in a brick-and-mortar bookstore (other than a used bookstore) in so long I would have no idea...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Heh, shows its fans are overwhelmingly paying for their shit, unlike manga cows. Yen Press would be wise to continue mining where the money is - young tween girls and their moms. Laughing

Tch, if they were real fans like us, they'd have scans of that stuff online within days. Cool

Haha!

Then again, regular girls tend not be gadget techie as otaku, prefer sitting on comfy mama chairs, letting their hearts a-flutter with papyruses... papyri... papypothamus... whatever.... Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

That's what it comes down to. If the fans show their support than they will be rewarded, if they don't than a company isn't a charity, and needs to make money and will simply cancel the release.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

And yes, I have read all 4 of the books.

Usually when I don't like a book, I don't read the sequels, just saying.

I thought I liked it at the time as people were telling me it got better later on in the series. And it didn't....but I can safely say that all 4 books are trash since I read them all. The Twitards usually rage at you for not "giving the books a fair chance". Now they can't use that against me when I state how much the franchise sucks. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
(Also, where's my Harry Potter manga?!)

There are doujins. Wink

Saturn wrote:

I wonder how many-- if any-- of the people who buy the Twilight graphic novels have been turned on to manga in the process?

I'm not sure many would. It's like blockbuster hits convincing non-comic book fans to buy comics. That's why I said it's an interesting "manga" success in a non-manga-buying country.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Like, where does one purchase these books in a store? With the other Twilight books, or with the manga?
In Borders, I've seen them with the manga and with the Twilight books.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
OK, Yen. Now rescue Hetalia please and keep publishing gems like With The Light Very Happy
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I....really don't know how to feel. On one point, I enjoyed the first movie the first time and only the first time. On the other hand, the book I found to be crap and the later films to be crap.

If they're going to do stuff like this with Vampire Human romances....Vampire Diaries manga where? That has enough action to fill my quota, unlike this crap.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Twilight is the incoherent fantasy spawned from the addled mind of a sex starved Mormon

THIS.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
Twilight is the incoherent fantasy spawned from the addled mind of a sex starved Mormon

THIS.

Just change "Mormon" to "otaku" and you'd describe a large swath of anime. Laughing
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Look, I hated Twilight with a passion and it's sad that trash like this "story" is selling as "manga" but then again it's true what others have said, manga fans aren't buying, and that makes companies look elsewhere for a cash cow...
Before TP collapsed, Fruits Basket was its cash cow and they milked it until the company's collapse....so yeah...
Actually I bought the 1st volume for a friend of mine on her birthday and the art and condensed story makes it a little more readable than the actual books and it is a really pretty book
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2