• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing TV vs. Hellsing Ultimate OVA.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, though I am not sure what you mean by "index".

Anyway, it turns out the main discussion on Hellsing Ultimate OVA is here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Series Discussion Index that's been stickied at the top of the Anime forum for almost 8 years, where people look for discussion threads pertaining to certain titles. There are main discussion threads (which obviously get the most traffic), and then are are subsidiary threads that are a bit more broad.

I added this thread under the listing for Hellsing (TV), since it's not exactly "in-depth," but still provides some apt comparisons for people who are curious on the topic.

But yeah, the other thread I made goes into very specific detail. This one seems pretty useful as a kind of general overview, though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked them about the same I think, they all have advantages and disadvantages to them. The music was indeed far better in the TV series, but it was also not concluded all that greatly. The OVA despite lacking musical greatness, paid more attention to the manga and gave Seras and other minor characters more to do.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.: Thanks for the prompt. I am not big forum browsing guy, so I have never noticed such thread; I used (quite bad) forum search to find topics.

Kruszer: I did not read the manga, but characters definitely had more to do in Ultimate. Still, I would not be able to recommend one series over another, both series are worthy to spend time on, the newer series is not just retold and reanimated version of the older one, it is different.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The OVA is basically the same as the manga, only it's in color which allows you to actually interpret what is going on in the action scenes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I liked them about the same I think, they all have advantages and disadvantages to them. The music was indeed far better in the TV series, but it was also not concluded all that greatly. The OVA despite lacking musical greatness, paid more attention to the manga and gave Seras and other minor characters more to do.

So all the problems I have with the OVA series like Alucard's overpowering power {redundant phrase is utterly in line with series}, human's uselessness even as humans go, the wasted potential of immortal vampire Nazis [...Hitler... come on! Go big or go home!], the framing of the series so that the good guys' only interesting figure is out of the action for 20% of the story so we can watch cannon fodder be cannon fodder {minor characters more to do?} only for him to come back and basically declare "I win!" and it works, oh and the biggest sin of all: Making the Valentine Brothers, English vampires, into a tool of those Nazi guys, you know, Germans. Seeing how focused this series is on the Catholic/Protestant animosity between England and the Vatican, how the hell was that missed? "They're Nazis, it's not about Nationalism, I mean, sure, they all speak with a German accent for some reason but it doesn't mean they're using their immortal status to rework the ending to WWII specifically on their archenemy." [*Ahem* Why not?. If cutey girl anime Kamichu can do a tribute to the WWII battleship Yamato {I had no Idea how I was supposed to feel about that one. Even now, it's still...}, why the hell can't Nazis be Nazis?]

This is all from the manga? I liked Hellsing, even with that ending but I hate the OVAs." The music is better." Oh yeah, just the music...

Even the opening fight against the vampire priest: Why take the fight out of the church and put it somewhere in the woods? The virgin Victoria Seras {sigh, she's not named after Queen but after... something?} dying in a Christian Church, being turned in a Christian Church, means nothing? Hellsing Ultimate is as unsubtle and inelegant as kicking the face of someone who's already down.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Yes, most of those things you deem to be "problems" are from the manga too.

Hellsing is a shameless and brutal, over the top, bloodbath with guns, explosions and and death, that's about it. That's what makes it awesome though.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Yes, most of those things you deem to be "problems" are from the manga too.

Hellsing is a shameless and brutal, over the top, bloodbath with guns, explosions and and death, that's about it. That's what makes it awesome though.

That's what makes it unwatchable though. And in order for Hellsing to be shameless, it would mean the series would have to have standards, a line drawn in the sand. I think you mean "indifferent".

So the popularity of this series is based on violence without context, let alone subtext which is the worst kind of violence, meaningless not only outside its confines but within as well? And it pulls the same crap with death, making it both meaningless and expected? Most decent creators would be able to put something into {or pull something out of, heh...actual black humor for example} Rip Van Winkle's "death" but "because it looked cool" gets critically and popularly acclaimed? Such distastefulness and that's not even from the show, that just bored me.

This thread reminds me that I have to get the TV show eventually. I'll take a dozen Incognitos over one "fake" Nazi Vampire, let alone a whole army of them. Hellsing Ultimate is bad as the Evil Dead remake by showing everything and understanding nothing about real impact, only in this case it's the source material.

The funniest part is that I reached this conclusion from the first OVA when it came out but still watched the following seven episodes over the course of eight years {Was it 8? 2006... close enough} I'm done with it, I'm not falling for it again.

I will continue to watch its abridged series though. That is awesome.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I have a soft spot for the TV series mostly due to nostalgia, since it was the first part of the Hellsing franchise I was exposed to, but of course it pales in comparison to the manga/OVAs

even so I still think it's a pretty good series, I love it's moody, dark atmosphere, great music and the excellent dub, which elevates it a lot, it also has some interesting ideas not found in the manga/OVAs, particularly the idea of Hellsing being more of a paramilitary vampire hunting army with Alucard being more of an ace in the hole "last resort" as opposed to in the manga/OVAs where it's pretty much just Alucard (and later Seras) alone who do the vampire hunting

so I would say it's worth watching if you're curious, but there's no doubt that the manga and OVAs are the "real deal"
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The funniest part is that I reached this conclusion from the first OVA when it came out but still watched the following seven episodes over the course of eight years {Was it 8? 2006... close enough} I'm done with it, I'm not falling for it again.

I will continue to watch its abridged series though. That is awesome.

Hellsing Ultimate is 10 episodes (same as the number of volumes for the manga), and yes the "Abridged series" is also awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2