• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy's Japanese Full Promo Previews Voices

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
It looks a fair amount like Bebop to me as well ... which for me isn't really a big selling point. But we'll see how it turns out, definitely worth checking out an episode or two.
Nothing in this looks like Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Seems that since Kill la Kill, it's time to spice of anime with more bright and shinny over the top creations. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll have to admit the animation these days are looking crisper by HD standards. And this is a Otomo project? Man when's the last time he's done anything since Steamboy? Well, hope this will work out. Steamboy was a grand piece but it wasn't without it's plot problems. I'll keep my eye on this. But man, look at that list!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Otomo did storyboarding and designs for Freedom (who remembers that pile?), wrote a short for the Short Peace anthology called Buki yo Saraba, and directed Combustible for it as well. I just recently got through Freedom, and even as high budget OVA as it was, Arpeggio of Blue Steel looks so much better. Same with Tokyo Metro Explorers, which he also produced and did character designs. So he's done a little bit since Steamboy.

There is one thing I've noticed about Otomo, money always follows him when he works on projects in a notable way, regardless of it they're good or not. Although, he's just listed here but we have no idea what for, maybe something minor in just one episode, like "storyboard – episode 3".
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll love this anime... it looks quite funny and I like sci-fi in general. Very Happy

On a not-so-related note, why is the voice actor for the main character listed as Vergo for One Piece... from 1999? Shocked
I seriously need to re-read OP all over again.

EDIT: I realized that's just the date when the OP anime started... silly me. Embarassed

Last edited by Sariachan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
I am so very hyped for this. All those names attached to this project, and from what we've seen so far, the casting of Junichi Suwabe and Hiroyuki Yoshino seems a perfect fit for their respective roles. I'm sure they're going to be hilarious. Even within a parody, Watanabe will probably manage to sneak in some of that wonderful melancholy I love his previous works for. Awesome. Can't wait.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I get this is the show that's supposed to save anime, and it definitely looks fun, but all the hype has led me to believe I'll be watching out of peer pressure more than anything else. Junichi Suwabe helps.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Otomo did storyboarding and designs for Freedom (who remembers that pile?), wrote a short for the Short Peace anthology called Buki yo Saraba, and directed Combustible for it as well. I just recently got through Freedom, and even as high budget OVA as it was, Arpeggio of Blue Steel looks so much better. Same with Tokyo Metro Explorers, which he also produced and did character designs. So he's done a little bit since Steamboy.

There is one thing I've noticed about Otomo, money always follows him when he works on projects in a notable way, regardless of it they're good or not. Although, he's just listed here but we have no idea what for, maybe something minor in just one episode, like "storyboard – episode 3".

Oh gosh, I forgot about Freedom. Funny thing is I had just came across it while looking for things to check out for the holiday. Totally forgot about that considering it was the one title of his that took so long to be released it was almost as if it didn't exist.

Well, he's a name just like our comic greats. They could be on cruise control artwise and just their name will get them work even if they're sucking. But Otomo is the man of the hour no matter how long he's been away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2