• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Tomino Thinks Young Voice Actors All Sound the Same

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:
This man, this geezer, is utter garbage.

Yoshiyuki Tomino created Gundam. You don't have to agree, but have some respect. The man knows anime. He's been working in the field as long as Hayao Miyazaki, so if he says Japanese voice actors are starting to sound the same, maybe, just maybe he has some kind of point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree to a point, female wise it's pretty hard to find talent when it's masked by all these moe and bubbly characters.

Not to say i don't have a few favorites myself that specialize in their cute voices. And it goes without saying there IS talent to be found in new and fresh voice actors such as... crap i just realized most of my favorites are in their 40's. Embarassed

But i believe Tomino is more looking for someone like Kawasumi, Ayako and her role specifically as Abriel Lafiel.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
konqueror wrote:

I can't stop laughing!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
konqueror wrote:

Yoshiyuki Tomino created Gundam. You don't have to agree, but have some respect. The man knows anime. He's been working in the field as long as Hayao Miyazaki, so if he says Japanese voice actors are starting to sound the same, maybe, just maybe he has some kind of point.

For some people him being old and creating Gundam is more then enough reason to not have any respect for him.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
....there's at least 4 VAs now that can mimic Rie Kugimiya's tsundere typecasting near perfect if not perfectly......

Au contraire! The wavering, Kugimiya twang that puts my heart on a rollercoaster is often imitated but never duplicated. Laughing

Last edited by VORTIA on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Randomfart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
konqueror wrote:

For some people him being old and creating Gundam is more then enough reason to not have any respect for him.

Judging by your description these people would be ignorant and ill-mannered.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
That's odd, I can pick out who sings all my favorite character CDs just fine. They all sound pretty different to me. Rolling Eyes

penguintruth wrote:

Someone's past achievements don't automatically make someone an expert on the field, especially if they're achievements from half a century ago. Times change, and more often than not people who make these kind of claims are irrelevant to the modern anime industry and don't make very many, if any, works anymore.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
All these old anime legends sound the same to me, so...

I think he's right that they add flair that makes them sound unnatural, but wouldn't natural-sounding voices be worse in the "sounds the same" department?
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
"According to Tomino, current voice acting adds too much flare and he was looking for actors whose voices sounded natural."

If you have watched old anime series like Ashita no Joe, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu or Macross (because a lot of people get mad whenever you mention Gundam...) you can compare old voice acting to current voice acting. Then you'll understand the point.

I personally don't see it as bad, though. I love that "flare".
oujosamadeshita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
finally someone said it. but I can't wait for these young voice actors to find their own talent... who knows. aside from Ishikawa Kaito, every other new ones out there sounds the same.

if you can't tell about the new voice acting and the old one, watch some episode of Love Stage! the main guy's brother on that series voice acting is the worst. the seiyuu assigned for it seem to be related to the mangaka so
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, there's not only more talent available today, but it's also more diverse, despite the constant reusing of the same types of characters. Having watched my share of 80s series and OVAs i've seen some... questionable acting, though still not as bad the overall quality of the current US anime dubbing scene. Still, lots of stiff, out of place, weird and over acting to be found if you go back.

@Mdo7, I disagree with you as well, even with my minimal Japanese skills. Voice acting puts emphasis on the voice as there are no physical expressions involved from the actor, and whatever language you may be listening to isn't as important as the emotions created through the sounds that the actor makes.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Unsourced summarization of other artists.

Anno - Otaku's are scabs.
Miyazaki - otaku's should leave the industry
Tomino - Voice actors suck.

Anyone else?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
oujosamadeshita wrote:
finally someone said it. but I can't wait for these young voice actors to find their own talent... who knows. aside from Ishikawa Kaito, every other new ones out there sounds the same.

if you can't tell about the new voice acting and the old one, watch some episode of Love Stage! the main guy's brother on that series voice acting is the worst. the seiyuu assigned for it seem to be related to the mangaka so

Ishikawa Kaito is a rising star though, he's even surprisingly popular with westerners, and that's saying a lot. Comparing his greatness to even the really good VAs is still unfair Wink. And the Love Stage actor you're thinking of is the brother of the mangaka, and while he is a good singer, he's not a good actor. His acting tells me that he actually believes that he's a genuinely good VA, when in reality he's really bad and can only act in one really narrow way. And sadly that way of acting is, to me at least, annoying.

Last edited by SouthPacific on Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki also has issue with voice actors.
http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-says-cutesy-anime-voices-are-unbearable-669265148
"Especially the young women's voices," Miyazaki continued. "It seems like they're all speaking with an 'Aren't-I-so-cute?' voice. That's unbearable. I always want to do something about that."
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
LondinCalling wrote:
Unsourced summarization of other artists.

Anno - Otaku's are scabs.
Miyazaki - otaku's should leave the industry
Tomino - Voice actors suck.

Anyone else?

I want to know the opinions on lesser known artists, there's at least 3 novelists that I really want an opinion on the industry from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8