• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual to Release Gunbuster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
dahpaper wrote:
i'm not sure i care much for the collectibility of it all. i'd go so far as to wish they'd straight port the vhs quality to dvd for the sake of purity and that's it. i don't like that there will be new subs (supervised by the orginal guys or not) much less god forbid dubs that'll ruin the nostalgia of it all.

Wha...? Seriously, what the hell? Why would you possibly...? VHS-dumps...? Subs..? What?!

Words fail me.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
...for my part, I'm still not entirely clear on what Image has to do with any of this? Are they just the distributor?

Image handles pretty much all the production of BVUSA titles. BVUSA is a very small operation, they don't have any technical staff.

I don't know if you're privy to inside information or something but according to the initial press release on the agreement:

Quote:
Bandai Visual USA, based in Torrance, California, will oversee the production, creative design
and manufacturing of the programming released under this agreement with Image handling all
North America sales, marketing and distribution responsibilities.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But the press release didn't mention the science episodes. So are the science episodes definitely in this release? Sad

What do you think those "new clips" are about?

I was also expecting my wallet to die from a massive hemmorhage for this one. Laughing

Considering that even the old US Renditions release had the science episodes (not including the two made after the release of course), I have little doubt they'll not be there. They should most likely contain most if not all the R2 set had to offer.

Apart from the science episodes, the R2 had three new clips. I'm not entirely certain on the origin of them. I don't think they were made for the renewal, so I assue they were like the added science episodes and made for the LD release. I'm not certain, so don't quote me on that.

The three clips are:

A clip of students using their RX-7 trainers in Osaka.

A short battle scene detailing some of the episode four battle pre-Gunbuster launch.

Jung Freud testing out the new Cyzler battle suit.

I've seen all three, and they're short but sweet.

I'm assuming these, combined with the science episodes are the thirty minutes of material mentioned. It would be about right. If not, they'd be remiss not including them.

What that statment doesn't leave room for, however, is the open-matte version of episode six. It'd suck if they didn't include it.

Unlike dahpaper, I'm quite glad they'll be retranslating it. The US Renditions subtitles were horribly loose for the first two episodes, with no sign translation as well. Manga used them for their release. Nothing against Manga, but we lucked out that Bandai's releasing it themselves. They basically screwed Manga over to get it back though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
dahpaper wrote:
i'm not sure i care much for the collectibility of it all. i'd go so far as to wish they'd straight port the vhs quality to dvd for the sake of purity and that's it. i don't like that there will be new subs (supervised by the orginal guys or not) much less god forbid dubs that'll ruin the nostalgia of it all.

Sounds like you want the old (now OOP) R2UK Kiseki release - one i've had on my shelves for about 3 years (I bought it when it looked unlikely we'd see a decent release) - it's awful a straight port from the old U.K. VHS tapes (it looks like they didn't even use the VHS masters, just a retail copy of the VHS)..

Personally I'm very excited about the new R1 release, given a better picture, more consistant subs etc the only thing that would stop me making an R1 pre-order is if there is an R2UK release announced.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
$65 is pretty hard to swallow, but snapping it up either at preorder prices or at a TRSI "40% off all Bandai" sale shouldn't hurt *too* much. I tracked down Manga's VHS version at Anime Central 2 years back (having never owned it, though I used to borrow the US Renditions version from a friend CONSTANTLY bak in the day) and the show still holds up. Can't wait for the remastered video, and I do really hope we can get a dub of this show. And where do I sign the petition to get Amanda Winn-Lee as the voide of Noriko? Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Nezu:
Quote:

The masters for the audio have been unavailable since the beginning, so unless they go through the expense of making their OWN masters for it, there will be no dub.

Wait, I thought there was an R2 version.

Pyoko:
Quote:
You're forgetting that not even the power of Evangelion can stand against most of today's anime fans' natural resistance to OLD ANIME.

True, but if Evangelion can get people to buy bore-fests like Honneamise and Nadia, I don't see why the fans wouldn't go for
the real deal with Gunbuster.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

My understanding is that there are no original masters available, so the Japanese dialogue is on the same track as the sound effects and music. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Gatsu wrote:
if Evangelion can get people to buy bore-fests like Honneamise and Nadia

BLASPHEMY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Canadian Bacon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much it cost to buy these on three VHS tapes that were subbed only back in the 1990's, this seems to be much cheaper.

They could have issued this as three discs with 2 episodes each for $24.98 and nobody would have complained about the price. Getting a set fir $64.99 doesn'y seem too bad considering that the VHS tapes probably cost $34.98 each when I bought them.

Back in VHS days, you were lucky to get two or three episodes per tape. Some only had one episode! Now you are getting much better quality and a lower cost per episode that you ever did on VHS.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I paid $90 for the Japanese DVD set and I'll gladly spend the $60-something for this one. I wonder if it's going to have the alternate version of the last episode. Now if only we'd finally get a good DVD release of Honneamise...
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
YES!!!! I must have it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It confuses me as to why people are being whiny little girls about the price. It's GUNBUSTER. I'd buy that box for $1,000 if I had to.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
GATSU wrote:

My understanding is that there are no original masters available, so the Japanese dialogue is on the same track as the sound effects and music. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Actually, the way it was explained to me was...

The video is the remastered R2 version (HD 24P format). The audio is the same because they are missing the music and effects track. So, no dub or 5.1 in the main anime feature.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

True, but if Evangelion can get people to buy bore-fests like Honneamise and Nadia, I don't see why the fans wouldn't go for
the real deal with Gunbuster.

Just a question but did Nadia actually sell that well? I was under the impression that some people got all giddy about it, but it never actually sold very well.

Quote:
It confuses me as to why people are being whiny little girls about the price. It's GUNBUSTER. I'd buy that box for $1,000 if I had to.

THANK YOU!

This is precisely what I was looking for. For everyone complaining about the release, be it price or lack of dub, our friend here, Second_Ignition_Yui, is PRECISELY the person this release is marketted to. It's a long-awaited release or something done by nerds, for nerds, that nerds will buy. The price is that much because they need to make a profit back. Lalalalala.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
Just a question but did Nadia actually sell that well? I was under the impression that some people got all giddy about it, but it never actually sold very well.

It convinced ADV to get Abenobashi, so it must have done something right. If not, the Atlantis controversy probably helped.

Quote:
It's a long-awaited release or something done by nerds, for nerds, that nerds will buy.

And that differs from Evangelion, because...? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The price is that much because they need to make a profit back.

Well I guess it would be cheaper than FLCL, but I still think it'd make money.
dr. worm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
$65 is pretty hard to swallow, but snapping it up either at preorder prices or at a TRSI "40% off all Bandai" sale shouldn't hurt *too* much. I tracked down Manga's VHS version at Anime Central 2 years back (having never owned it, though I used to borrow the US Renditions version from a friend CONSTANTLY bak in the day) and the show still holds up. Can't wait for the remastered video, and I do really hope we can get a dub of this show. And where do I sign the petition to get Amanda Winn-Lee as the voide of Noriko? Mr. Green

Actually the Bandai that TRSI does studio sales for (Bandai Entertainment?) does not include the Bandai that is releasing Gunbuster (Bandai Visual).

Last edited by dr. worm on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3