• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Real Drives

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
This week I'll be buying...nothing. Instead I'm gonna hold off, power through the last of my course work and then just spend the entirety of December binging on Smash Bros, Pokemon and Dragon Age. Very Happy

ParaChomp wrote:
I can't help it personal messages in news articles make me cringe to no end and it keeps happening especially with the X Button.

Uh...the X Button isn't a news article. It's an opinion column. Did you not see that it's clearly tagged as such and placed on the right of the homepage with the other op/ed stuff instead of on the left with the news?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
However bad (or "bad") the Battletoads may have been, at least they weren't Bubsy the Bobcat. No, I'm not sorry for dredging that up Evil or Very Mad

enurtsol wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

If Battletoads gets a physical release and turns out to be good I may get an Xbox One sometime along with Raiden V.

Hopefully not as cruelly difficult as the original.
I'd at least settle for "cruelly difficult, but not so buggy as to make 2-player mode unwinnable."
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Oh, Battletoads. Now that is something I've not thought about in a long time. Don't think I ever played it on the NES...but I think on the SNES? I mostly remember how hard of a game it was, and that I'd die consistently on one of the early levels...yet I'd continually play the game. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

If Battletoads gets a physical release and turns out to be good I may get an Xbox One sometime along with Raiden V.

Hopefully not as cruelly difficult as the original.

I'd at least settle for "cruelly difficult, but not so buggy as to make 2-player mode unwinnable."

That too. 2-player was both pro and con - it helps to have a fellow warrior to survive in some places, but makes it hellish to keep track of in other places (like the hoverbikes - who's who where when jumped).
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
However bad (or "bad") the Battletoads may have been, at least they weren't Bubsy the Bobcat. No, I'm not sorry for dredging that up Evil or Very Mad

Bubsy was always just a shitty knock off of Sonic; along with trying to cash in on the mascot craze at the time. At least it killed itself off with the hilarious Bubsy 3D Laughing
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
After Double Dragon Neon and TMNT Reshelled, any revival of some beat-em-up in modern day is met with disinterest from me. They always feel soulless and clunky. Or in a worst case scenario, we get a full budget remake like Bionic Commando did.

Did you actually give Double Dragon Neon a chance, or did you play the demo while half asleep without realizing there was more to the game than mashing square (like I initially did)? At the very least, it's factually inaccurate to call the game soulless. They clearly put more effort into it than, well, than probably most beat 'em ups in general (not the most inspired genre, as a rule).

Also, the 80's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YySGy_4Wag
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh...the X Button isn't a news article. It's an opinion column. Did you not see that it's clearly tagged as such and placed on the right of the homepage with the other op/ed stuff instead of on the left with the news?
Yes. That doesn't change my opinion that people need to stop whining about what they don't get. Let's drop this.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Did you actually give Double Dragon Neon a chance, or did you play the demo while half asleep without realizing there was more to the game than mashing square (like I initially did)? At the very least, it's factually inaccurate to call the game soulless. They clearly put more effort into it than, well, than probably most beat 'em ups in general (not the most inspired genre, as a rule).

I couldn't get into the art of animation style. It felt floaty, and cheap, like it was made in Flash or something. Maybe I'm just stuck liking sprites and retro-graphics, but anytime I get one of these 3D or "2.5D" remakes it just feels wrong and nowhere near as good as the original. The fact they weren't made by Technos or Konami and instead Ubisoft and WayForward probably didn't help. I don't like any of their productions to begin with. Leave retro games retro and make new games rather than looking for cash ins.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Yes. That doesn't change my opinion that people need to stop whining about what they don't get. Let's drop this.

Then maybe either shouldn't read it, or at least try to give a better counter-opinion then just dismissing the author's thoughts as "whining", because that certainly isn't going to convince Todd to stop!
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Then maybe either shouldn't read it, or at least try to give a better counter-opinion then just dismissing the author's thoughts as "whining", because that certainly isn't going to convince Todd to stop!
It just annoys me when people are disappointed at what they don't have since I believe what is present is what should be judged. No, I shouldn't read it since it affects emotionally nor should I give counterarguments since they'll always be opinion based. In turn I have labelled myself as a straw man.

If Other M wasn't such a failure. On topic of people screwing up their franchises, how do you think Microsoft will handle Battletoads?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Xenoblade is probably my most anticipated Wii U game for next year. I also don't think like the Bioware-style, self-insert main character, but hopefully the story will still be good. Rodea was a big surprise, I thought the game was pretty much dead. As a big Nights fan, Rodea looks like a proper successor.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

It's funny how people run the the forum to whinge about something. Then, only when they get shot down because their dumb complaint is factually incorrect, suddenly this huge desire to "drop this" wells up inside them. Rolling Eyes And by the way, what are you even talking about? Literally all he said about Metroid was that there was no new game on the horizon. It wasn't even a complaint let alone whining. Just an observation relating to why they're playing up Xenoblade so much. Please stop spewing your own weird baggage all over the forum.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I do not understand the desire for a new Metroid game. The story concluded to the point they had to make a prequel to squeeze out a new game from the franchise. Don't people usually complain about game companies milking franchises too much? 6 main series games and 5 spin-offs seem fair enough to me. I would rather not see it driven into the ground and am happy with what we got. The creator said he had no desire to go back to it currently and I wouldn't want to see more games where the creator isn't involved because it never turns out well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
It's nothing more than different fans wanting different things. I don't know much about the Metroid stories, but I do know that if a series ends after a short time or only after a few installments, you always have fans who say that what they have is fine and there doesn't need to be more, and you have fans who demand more and don't feel it isn't enough.

Sometimes though, extending a franchise beyond what was originally intended DOES work. Immediately coming to mind is the Shrek franchise--while it's had its ups and downs, the kids always love it. "Milking a franchise" is not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
It's strange that the Ice Climbers aren't playable in the Wii U version, since director Masahiro Sakurai stated that they were removed from the game due to the limitations of the 3DS.

Sakurai's policy is to keep both versions of the roster exactly the same, even if that meant removing the Ice Climbers from the Wii U version.

Levitz9 wrote:
That said, I'm surprised that Pokémon is coming out on a Friday and not a Saturday. It's a silly thing, but Pokémon X and Y came out on a Saturday. Having a big game released on a Saturday seems so much more convenient, considering you'd expect a player to have more free time that day.

Most likely, this was done to avoid it being released on the same day as Super Smash Bros. Wii U. I was wondering if either would back down.

CoreSignal wrote:
Rodea was a big surprise, I thought the game was pretty much dead. As a big Nights fan, Rodea looks like a proper successor.

Yeah, Rodea is definitely going to be on my list for 2015. It looks like the first big thing out of Prope in a long while, if not ever. Well, the most ambitious, at least.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
If Other M wasn't such a failure. On topic of people screwing up their franchises, how do you think Microsoft will handle Battletoads?

I doubt that there are enough dedicated fans of the franchise to even create a noticeable backlash if they go all Michael Bay on it. Honestly, the only reason why anyone cares about Battletoads is it due to being a joke online, causing anons to crank call GameStops for bogus pre-orders seven years ago.

Hitting while the iron's hot, apparently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3