• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Blood: The Last Vampire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animelov3r

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Oh man,I'm so freaking excited,I adored,Blood even though it was short. T__T And even more than that I love Ji-hyun Jun!
Not to mention the wonderful producers and directors working on this film. I can only hope for the best. <3
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I'm very excited about this film. Ronny Yu did a great job with "Jet Li's Fearless," and from what I read he's going to be 98% faithful to the original (aside from where it takes place, but having it a post-WWII flick is cool, too).
Wasn't the movie during the Vietnam war?
Eddie_S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Why Japan pulls this crap I do not know and would like to find out (assuming it doesn't just amount to "more money," which is fairly obvious). But unfortunately, they feel the need to spread stories out over multiple formats and force people to buy a book, a game, a comic book, a DVD, and another game on another system in order to make sense of it all (as opposed to, I dunno, just making it a novel or movie series or something simple and coherent like that). Gundam SEED and .hack fall prey to the exact same thing and it's aggravating as hell, especially when we only get fragments of these franchises that result in them getting really awful reputations here for being "crap" (when really, they're not, but Japan expects you to be a good Japanese consumer in order to find that out).

It's not just Japan!! The biggest offender of this IMO is the Matrix series. To appreciate the full story you have to watch the main movies, Animatrix, and play through the horrible Enter the Matrix game.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Eddie_S wrote:
It's not just Japan!! The biggest offender of this IMO is the Matrix series. To appreciate the full story you have to watch the main movies, Animatrix, and play through the horrible Enter the Matrix game.

Not necessarily. The Animatrix, even at its most plot-involved, is simply a collection of side stories. Ditto with Enter the Matrix. You can still watch the core movie trilogy and appreciate the story just fine without having to know how it all started, or how Neo's little brown-noser got there. With Blood or .hack, however, if you miss out on one part, you're more or less lost. Miss out on the manga side stories and you're up the creek. Miss out on the anime and you're up the creek. Yet with The Matrix, knowing what Niobe and Ghost where up to is not exactly vital.

The Matrix is also only spread across three separate media rather compactly as a single trilogy, a single anthology, and a single game. Whereas Blood spanned four separate media (cinema, literature, comics, and gaming), .hack's spanned four separate media in multiple incarnations (three separate television series, one direct-to-video series, one video game series, and I think two or three separate comic series), and Gundam SEED is spread as widely as .hack (two television incarnations, four major comic series, at least one canon video game—or part of it, anyway—an internet series, multiple photo novels, various MSV works, and a cinematic installment in the works).

I'm not saying Japan is the only country doing this, but they are the ones who seemingly love to take the most vexing approaches and spread it the thinnest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Eh...I'm not a huge fan of the Matrix but if you just watch the films you're getting enough plot and closure to ignore a couple of minor loose ends. And to be honest, the Japanese examples are child's play compared to what DC and Marvel have been doing with their "cross-over events": seven issue mini-series that in order to understand you need to read every about 50 or so regular comicbooks.
lovehinafan1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow... i havnt been here in almost two years?

Anyway, I just head the news.
JUN JI HYUN!<3 Couldn't have choosen a better pick for Saya. even if I didn't finish Blood+, i still think she was awesome.
Sigh, over two more years is the waiting period? Hopefully nothing goes wrong and they won't cancel production.

-Lovehinafan1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Production I.G has announced that 'Blood the Last Vampire,' produced in 2000, will be made into a live action movie by company French Pathe.

Do you mean "by French company Pathé"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
ok Blood is a pretty damn good anime. short, but awesome. and the gore.....*drool*.

but seriously, live action anime is bad, as seen in Sentai shows and street fighter movie. when i told my mom there was gonna be a speed racer movie, she looked like she had shit her pants. Transformers is gonna bomb like nagasaki.

heres the point short and sweet:

90% of any adaptations by america SUCK!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2