• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Characters That Can't Resist Cats

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velocial

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
What about Miu and Kisara from KenIchi?
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course Sebastian won. He is one hell of a butler after all Laughing
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I would have had Miu Furinji from Kenichi Mightiest on the list.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@rankothefiremage
Doesn't Ranma hate cats?

That was a good list of cat lovers.

For the new poll I did not even vote because there are just too many possibilities. I had not heard of most of them before because I have not watched the shows, and those that I was familiar with, such as Pantyhose Taro, seem completely normal compared to the others.

Was the first item intentionally blank to represent a character who actually has no name?

Yep he does, but the list says "resist" which can also be more combative. Due to his fear Ranma would have a hard time facing a cat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

Yep he does, but the list says "resist" which can also be more combative. Due to his fear Ranma would have a hard time facing a cat.

Damn shame Shampoo turns into one.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Another cat lover I can think of is Tsukasa from Shugo Chara!. He loved playing with Yoru and Ikuto's cat ears.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Man, I liked looking at the voting list, I'll have to check back later to see more silly names. The funny thing is that some of those, like Jacuzzi Splot, are probably cool in Japanese but funny in English. I added Straight Cougar from S-Cry-Ed myself. Not sure why a "Subaru" is on that list, seems pretty vanilla to me.
But the pun-tastic names that Japan would find hilarious are totally lost on us and need to be explained. I actually find it funny that for No More Heroes, Suda51 purposely chose "Travis Touchdown" knowing it would sound funny in English and cool in Japanese.

Still, when I saw "Welldone the Pussyhand", I had to vote for that one.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
She may not have had a large group of cats, but Matsushima Michiru's interactions with Nyanmel are note-worthy (1, 2, 3), IMO.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV from Cowboy Bebop wasn't on the poll so I added her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Still, when I saw "Welldone the Pussyhand", I had to vote for that one.

I had a hard time choosing between that and Quatro Vagina.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's almost as if the writer wanted something that sounded foreign but didn't think that highly of foreign languages... or internet searches.

This is most likely the case. You know they use random English words over there, and many of them don't even know what the words actually mean. They just use them because "it sounds cool when you say it" and don't care what the technical translation is. Sounds rather familiar.

Eisenmann V wrote:
I had a hard time choosing between that and Quatro Vagina.

Ditto. I couldn't decide which of those made me laugh more. XD
albanian

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Knew who will be in the first place as soon as I saw the title Very Happy

Yes. It took considerably less than a second for the name Sakaki to spring to my mind too.

As for the poll, I just find the very long names (adopts voice of the late, great Graham Chapman) "Very silly!". It simply has to be Radical Ed. (And no - her name isn't very long. It's just the perfect length, and perfectly weird)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much every name in Mardock Scramble is insane, giving Gundam a run for its money as far as percentage of characters with, um, "creative" names. Welldone's is probably the craziest, but he's among people named Medium the Fingernail, Rare the Hair, Mincemeat the Wink, Fresh the Pike, Dimsdale Boiled, Cleanwill John October, and Œufcoque Penteano.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, speaking of weird Gundam names, most of the names in Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket were relatively normal, and one of the most ordinary-seeming names is the name of one of the protagonists, Bernard Wiseman, "Wiseman" being a not too uncommon British or Jewish surname.

However, I always found "Bernard Wiseman" weird because it's also an intersection in the Montreal borough (formerly a suburb) of Outremont, although I presume that's just a coincidence and not a deliberate in-joke for Montrealers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Lots of crazy entries in the poll. I voted for Grimmjow because his name sounds so ridiculous when you hear it.

As for the list, how about an Honorable Mention for Barakamon's Handa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU2Pw_dc2p0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4