• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"The Biggest Attack on Titan Manga Announcement Ever" Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maoyen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
*Yawn* Here I thought it might be something exciting. But no. Sorry, but I can't care. I read manga and not American mainstream comics because American mainstream comics are like the opposite of what I like, 99 percent of the time. I wish American comics were more like manga, not the other way around.

I mean, in Japan, manga isn't a niche thing, it's widely published and sold everywhere, it has a huge variety, spanning just about every genre, it has wide appeal. American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

Maybe this is cool for those who actually like both, but I don't think there's that many of those, and I can't imagine those people who actually read American stuff and don't read Attack on Titan would care that much either.

This might come as a shock, but there are people that read more than one thing. Lots of them. This whole "Us vs Them" mentality is getting ridiculous.

Also, show of hands: Who DOESN'T want to see Hulk vs a Titan? Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
You also left on out costumes! Better and more female friendly costumes! Even purveyors of cheesecake like Dyanmite Publishing are getting in on the act

Dejah Thoris's new costume looks good, but don't like the new look of her face. Don't care for the hooded cape for Red Sonja. There are other ways of keeping your hair out of the way than a hood.

It is nice they are doing this and all, but all I care about is the continuation of the main story manga and the anime.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
meruru wrote:
American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

But they change the sexes and ethnicities now! They're so progressive and innovative!

Yes with skin tight clothes and big boobs too on top! O wait I don't think thats progressive is it?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

You joke, but I honestly think it's starting to become true, and for the first time in over a decade I'm becoming less and less embarrassed to be a comics fan.

You also left on out costumes! Better and more female friendly costumes! Even purveyors of cheesecake like Dyanmite Publishing are getting in on the act

Part of me screams no at them re-doing Vampirella's outfit. She is such an iconic character and so is her outfit. For better or worse. However, that is a pretty kick ass update so the other part of me says give it a chance.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
Also, show of hands: Who DOESN'T want to see Hulk vs a Titan? :D

Hulk punches Titan, Titan dies.

The concept of any Marvel character being in true danger from a Titan attack is utterly laughable at best, and I can't see the crossover holding any real tension.

That said, the Western anthology looks intriguing. I'm curious as to what directions they'll go in their stories, and what the different art styles will be like.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.

Get away from Marvel and DC, then, looks up some of the stuff being put out by Image, IDW, Top Cow, Dynamite, and Aspen. There's a lot more diversity in characters, art styles, and genres when you move outside the super hero realm.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I mean, in Japan, manga isn't a niche thing, it's widely published and sold everywhere, it has a huge variety, spanning just about every genre, it has wide appeal. American comic writers are stuck writing the same characters over and over in an extremely corporatized controlled system. Ew.
Actually, American writers are getting out of that trend as of late. If you want to blame anything, blame the Comics Code Authority. Regardless, we have some awesome talent working on these books.

Vennex wrote:
"The biggest attack on titan manga dissapointment ever"

That's how I now read the title of this article. I can see how some can get excited for this but I am sadly not one of them. American comics bore me to no end.
Why is that so? If anything, this is why we should be interested.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see such a negative tone here. I mean, even if you don't read many American comics (and I don't know why you'd be diametrically opposed to them, it's not all superheroes, guys), the creators involved are talented folks. Seeing a fresh bunch of stories/alt-universes from talented people on a fun world like AoT will be fun (at least to me).

Plus I like American comics, sue me. Embarassed Scott Snyder's basically been writing Batman like a horror comic for the past couple of years, I can't wait to see what he'll do when he gets to write a story featuring actual literal monsters
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
I love anthologies for manga/comics. I read the Getter Robo anthology about a month ago and I loved the different art styles of artists like Go Nagai and a bunch of other mangaka. It would be cool to read given an opportunity to do so.

With that said, wow, is Attack on Titan getting a damn pull in North America.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

The concept of any Marvel character being in true danger from a Titan attack is utterly laughable at best, and I can't see the crossover holding any real tension.

I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of Marvel characters that are not that super powered and would have a tough time with a titan. I mean sure Cyclops could blast away, The Human Torch could fly around and roast them, and Thanos wouldn't even consider them worth his time. I think the Punisher though for example would be screwed with a handful coming his way. I won't even go into Hindsight Lad. Yes that's a real character.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Crossovers always have the potential to bring in new fans, so, I hope that it'll get some comic fans into manga.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Vennex wrote:
"The biggest attack on titan manga dissapointment ever"

That's how I now read the title of this article. I can see how some can get excited for this but I am sadly not one of them. American comics bore me to no end.
Why is that so? If anything, this is why we should be interested.

Personally I'm not American, I'm not into superheroes, nor mainstream American comic art styles. I don't really see why I should be excited...
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
maoyen wrote:
Also, show of hands: Who DOESN'T want to see Hulk vs a Titan? Very Happy

That said, the Western anthology looks intriguing. I'm curious as to what directions they'll go in their stories, and what the different art styles will be like.

Ok maybe against normal Titans but what about colossus,armored, and the worst of all ape Titan! But for a one punch man crossover saitama could kill any super hero with one half-hearted lazy/simple punch.

Last edited by Exalted Incarnate on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
As an otaku, I really don't see the appeal. American comic books are confusing, overpriced, and nerdy. Plus they just recycle the same garbage storylines. And practically nobody even knws the whole story with some of them, like Spider Man has been going since the 60's and I for one am not going to go through 6 decades of backstory to understand what he's all about.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Plus I like American comics, sue me. Embarassed Scott Snyder's basically been writing Batman like a horror comic for the past couple of years, I can't wait to see what he'll do when he gets to write a story featuring actual literal monsters

Batman is the only thing I was interested in from the New 52. I remember getting into American comics about three years ago and reading the Court of Owls, and then reading, if I recall correctly, the Joker arc right that comes right after. I also got into reading the Golden Age Superman because there was some cheeky writing and good banter in those comics. But then I noticed that DC was obviously pushing some obnoxious political agenda so I quit reading American comics because Marvel was also probably doing the same. But that was 2012, and it makes sense in retrospect that they would get political (to a fault) just to milk out revenues. I wonder if they've sobered up and how they will act around the 2016 elections.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4