• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Does Darker Than Black's License Withdrawal Mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Aniplex hasn't done much to keep their older back catalog shows in print, but they do seem aware that these shows -- particularly hit shows -- have value. I expect they will be out of print for a few years to let demand build up, and then perhaps there will be a reissue.
I'm not convinced that they will do that. A few more years and the show will be just that much older and most fans will gravitate to what's newer. If anything I expect that they are will just put up these shows for streaming and make money that way and avoid the whole reverse import issue.

Quote:
Convenient though streaming services may be, you can't count on them always having a certain show. And discs go in and out of print all the time.
And this is why when someone says "you can always stream it!" it doesn't fly. Streaming doesn't always mean it will be available, not everyone is in an area that can stream well or has data caps, streaming doesn't always assure the best quality, streaming doesn't mean there will be extras included and finally if you are a collector you are not interested in streaming you want to own it.

XChampion wrote:
Yeah like Justin said you will have about 6 months to buy the remaining stock so go for it. Its interesting because I was never interested in buying the series but now that the license expired and I may never have the option of buying it again in a really long time I actually want to get it now. My real question is it just the first season or is it also the 2nd season and OVAs as well that has expired?
Both seasons. They are still available on BD at RightStuf, but there's no idea how low their stock is since they haven't brought back their stock counters yet.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This reminds me somewhat of Aniplex USA doing the Blu-Ray of Baccano!, after Funimation had released a DVD version. I think this was shortly after Aniplex entered the US market? It was curious because they ended up licensing Funimation's dub. It's also frustrating because Aniplex's BD has come and gone, so now if you want to see it HD, you're pretty much out of luck.

The other thing to look at is region/codefree blu-ray players, which are totally legal and not especially expensive these days. For Baccano!, for instance, Anime Limited in the UK did a BD re-release last year that retails for about 50 US dollars at the current exchange rate. You could get that and a regionfree BD player for about the same price that used copies of the AoA BD set go for now.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
This is definitely part of why I buy the shows and movies that I want to watch rather than streaming them.

Maybe you (or others) can explain, but I don't see why buying shows on home video has anything to do with streaming. They are two different ways to access the context and are hardly exclusive of one or the other. I personally stream a lot of anime and buy a lot of anime. If anything the two are complementary, it's good to have both options and there's no reason to look down on one or the other.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm not convinced that they will do that. A few more years and the show will be just that much older and most fans will gravitate to what's newer. If anything I expect that they are will just put up these shows for streaming and make money that way and avoid the whole reverse import issue.

I can actually see this as a possibility for a show like DtB, and to be honest, I'm not completely against it. As long as it's generally accessible is fine.

But, what about the mad-popular stuff like FMA or Soul Eater? That stuff is completely at risk to AoA's Martin Shkrelification. And that's what needs to be prevented from happening.

RHorsman wrote:
Quote:
This reminds me somewhat of Aniplex USA doing the Blu-Ray of Baccano!, after Funimation had released a DVD version. I think this was shortly after Aniplex entered the US market? It was curious because they ended up licensing Funimation's dub. It's also frustrating because Aniplex's BD has come and gone, so now if you want to see it HD, you're pretty much out of luck.

The other thing to look at is region/codefree blu-ray players, which are totally legal and not especially expensive these days. For Baccano!, for instance, Anime Limited in the UK did a BD re-release last year that retails for about 50 US dollars at the current exchange rate. You could get that and a regionfree BD player for about the same price that used copies of the AoA BD set go for now.

There's a thread in the retail section that talks about this. I've already had a region-free player (Oppo, specifically!), but I still found some very good that some of the people posted.

And the thing is, there's nothing dishonest about it. You're still supporting the original company, the creators, and even the licensor.

[Edit]: You can make your points but be polite. Errinundra.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
This is definitely part of why I buy the shows and movies that I want to watch rather than streaming them.

Maybe you (or others) can explain, but I don't see why buying shows on home video has anything to do with streaming. They are two different ways to access the context and are hardly exclusive of one or the other. I personally stream a lot of anime and buy a lot of anime. If anything the two are complementary, it's good to have both options and there's no reason to look down on one or the other.

The point he's making is that with streaming you don't know when shows will be taken down leaving you with no way to watch it, like what just happened with Darker than Black. Having the show physically means that regardless of the shows streaming status, you will be able to watch it. I don't think he was looking down on streaming, only that he doesn't solely rely on streaming for his favorite shows.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
And no Aniplex shows are not so expensive you will never be able to afford them. If you save up you can buy anyone of their titles, but if your stubborn and will only pay up to a certain amount for 1 show and that's why you won't buy the show in question well that's on you.

It's not even about not being able to save up for a show at a particular price point, so much as the fact that doing said saving precludes making multiple other purchases. I'd imagine that most of us who buy anime don't just get 2 or 3 shows per year, and anime isn't the only thing we spend our discretionary budgets on. (*glances nervously at Steam backlog*) Spending $200 on a single 26-episode release may be within many people's budgets, but when it's a question of either doing that or purchasing 5 other series at an average of $40 each, one of them makes much more financial sense. I think what many Aniplex defenders miss is that buying anime isn't a zero-sum game. It's not buy one Aniplex series vs. buying no anime at all, it's buy one Aniplex series vs. buying several other series and/or games and/or whatever. Couple that with the fact that Aniplex titles essentially never go on sale, at least not remotely to the extent that every other US distributors' titles do, and it becomes an easy choice for the budget-conscious anime fan.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Welp, now I regret being unemployed back when you could actually buy the Anime Classics version of season 1. The artbook for the BD release looks nice, but the packaging seems like a joke.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
Welp, now I regret being unemployed back when you could actually buy the Anime Classics version of season 1. The artbook for the BD release looks nice, but the packaging seems like a joke.

It's not as bad as it seems. ...From youtube unboxings, anyway.

And if it's anything like the Bebop exclusive, it'll be quite the rare item soon.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
I'm so glad that I own Darker Than Black Funi's releases and don't have to pay Aniplex ridiculous prices.
here here, I'm also glad I still have my bandai release of gurren lagann, I found the blu ray set that aniplex put out with the movies at an anime con last year and if I had bought it even at the vendors discounted price I would've been broke on day one
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Dfens wrote:
And no Aniplex shows are not so expensive you will never be able to afford them. If you save up you can buy anyone of their titles, but if your stubborn and will only pay up to a certain amount for 1 show and that's why you won't buy the show in question well that's on you.

It's not even about not being able to save up for a show at a particular price point, so much as the fact that doing said saving precludes making multiple other purchases. I'd imagine that most of us who buy anime don't just get 2 or 3 shows per year, and anime isn't the only thing we spend our discretionary budgets on. (*glances nervously at Steam backlog*) Spending $200 on a single 26-episode release may be within many people's budgets, but when it's a question of either doing that or purchasing 5 other series at an average of $40 each, one of them makes much more financial sense. I think what many Aniplex defenders miss is that buying anime isn't a zero-sum game. It's not buy one Aniplex series vs. buying no anime at all, it's buy one Aniplex series vs. buying several other series and/or games and/or whatever. Couple that with the fact that Aniplex titles essentially never go on sale, at least not remotely to the extent that every other US distributors' titles do, and it becomes an easy choice for the budget-conscious anime fan.

This is it for me, why would i buy from Aniplex when I can get 3X more bang for my buck form Funimation or Sentai. if it costs me $200 for 12-26 episodes of on series from Aniplex I can get that many episodes across 5 series from Funimation who only charge $50 for a 12 episode set.
siromkun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I know it's not the right place to ask this question, but were the results for best OP/ED of 2015 pols actually posted? I can't find it anywhere on the site.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:

And if it's anything like the Bebop exclusive, it'll be quite the rare item soon.

Either way, I already put my order in because I'd like to own season 1 without paying $250 for it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:

I'm kind of interested to see whether their model is sustainable for them (and I would include Pony Canyon in that too). My sense has always been that it is ultimately not sustainable, but I guess time will tell. I'm not an economist, and I'm as likely to be wrong about that prediction as not.

There's the joke, though. Any measure of success for Aniplex of America is done by Aniplex and that's completely dependent on what their goal is. As long as the parent company is satisfied, they'll still be around. What do we know? AoA is very stingy on physical releases with the popular titles getting priced per episode through various combinations with the lesser titles getting dumped in complete SD DVDs, yet very open about streaming, with services spread across all the major sites each with seemingly unique content. And most of those are region locked, aren't they? Very controlled, very localized.

If everything was released in overpriced HD- or SD- then I could give them credit but, come on, everything AoA does is to curtail reverse importation for Aniplex of Japan. Even for the titles that Japan doesn't want, they offer editions that even Americans don't want. "Sure, it's a sub only DVD that's lower quality that what we're streaming for free but what do you expect, effort? We don't want to release it- at quality product level- because no one wants to buy it- at premium prices."

I can't even call them successful with their own model since they can't even decide on an HD release format; Kill la Kill got singles while AD0 got drawn out and quartered. Their latest release Saekano is getting 2 parts with 13 sub only episodes- spread over 4 BDs?

*looks at BD collection that averages 9 episodes per BD* To quote someone somewhen, that ain't right. Are they using 25 GB discs on purpose to inflate perceived value or are they wasting 50 GB space just because they can?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
That season 1 BD set was somewhat tempting, but the wonky packaging coupled with the fact that I haven't even watched my Anime Classics set yet makes double-dipping seem like kind of a waste.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Percival King wrote:
Eisenmann V wrote:

I've seen Youtube unboxings, and it looks BAD. The ways the discs are held looks totally unsecure and likely to scratch the discs. It's why so far I've avoided the so-called "Premium" editions from FUNi (why not just give it a nice normal LE like they did with the Eureka Seven BR?), and for DtB I've got the DVDs but may actually buy an AoA BR release of it since at least they seem to know how to securely package discs.

As for those worrying about AoA's shows going OOP, well sure if you wait YEARS that could be an issue but it's rare you'll just be out of luck getting a release within a year of its release date or so. Heck, Garden of Sinners just got another BR release last year and more copies should be arriving at TSRI soon (got my order, so looking forward to finally seeing this films in HD!). They actually just did one last run of the Bakemonogatari sets surprisingly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10