• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: VisualArt's to Release Rewrite+ Visual Novel in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Have never played a VN, but of the Rewrite anime leaves an impression on me, I may pick this up...if it's a physical release. Same goes for Angel Beats. And, have been meaning to pick up Steins;Gate.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Actually, revealed at Kazamatsuri: http://kazamatsuri.org/rewrite-and-angel-beats-1st-beat-planned-for-western-localisation/ from Anime Central. I think ANN just wants to confirm the story before publishing.

No, this would have been up here several days sooner - like probably on Saturday night - if I was more familiar with our current "breaking news" reporting procedure. Embarassed I was there when it was announced, but mistakenly submitted the news as part of an interview (pending publication) rather than as a separate news item. I'll know better for next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
So are you hyped for all of the Rewrite we are getting Theron? I sure as heck am. Absolutely my favorite visual novel and the adaption is probably making the correct choice to do a new story. Would be really hard to animate it normally.

And Ali07, it is entirely possible that the Rewrite anime will not do Rewrite justice for many spoiler reasons. Go into Rewrite blind and complete a single route, that's probably the best way to experience it. If you aren't interested after one route, then you can stop.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
I purchased Angel Beats 1st beat waiting for the eventual fan translation.

Looks like I'm gonna buy it again.. lol

Same here, I don't' mind double dipping for this stuff.

Let me just join this group.
I was actually ready to pay the double when I bought it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
So are you hyped for all of the Rewrite we are getting Theron? I sure as heck am. Absolutely my favorite visual novel and the adaption is probably making the correct choice to do a new story. Would be really hard to animate it normally.

Don't actually know anything about it. The upcoming interview will elaborate quite a bit on why it's being handled the way that it is, and that reasoning has definitely piqued my interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
I find it weird how the upcoming anime version of the show isn't being made by KyoAni. There has been a tradition that such works get adapted or have an adaptation by KyoAni. Also, a tradition that I don't think should that if Key shows are licensed by Sentai, Brittney Karbowski should play a character in it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
And Ali07, it is entirely possible that the Rewrite anime will not do Rewrite justice for many spoiler reasons. Go into Rewrite blind and complete a single route, that's probably the best way to experience it. If you aren't interested after one route, then you can stop.

I understand that the anime might not be the greatest. But, I'm interested in aspects of it possibly getting me to check out the VN.

And, as I mentioned, I'd only get the game if they offer it on disc. I'm a physical media kind of guy, especially with games, and have no interest in it if it is going to be offered digital only. Which, I assume is its current form...since it isn't available legally in English yet. Unless I've missed something?
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I find it weird how the upcoming anime version of the show isn't being made by KyoAni. There has been a tradition that such works get adapted or have an adaptation by KyoAni. Also, a tradition that I don't think should that if Key shows are licensed by Sentai, Brittney Karbowski should play a character in it.

While I large number of Key visual novels have been animated by KyoAni it has since shifted away. While this is only my speculation the reasons would be: First, KyoAni has been doing almost entirely their own original works for the past few years. While I use the term "original" I mean the light novel competition that they host and have been making there anime from. A departure from that trend would their anime movie adaption of Koe no Katachi. The second thing to keep in mind is that the anime adaption of Rewrite is not the first time that KyoAni wasn't responsible for. Going as far back as 2002 you have Toei Animation's version of Kanon (though KyoAni did redo Kanon and much better). Another sort of quasi exception was Angel Beats. Though it was an anime adaption first it is now currently a visual novel by Key and Angel Beats was animated by P.A Works. Of course those are sort of unfair examples but the fairest one would be the anime adaption of Little Busters which was animated by J.C. Staff.

While it is true that the most used studio by Key to animate their visual novels is KyoAni, KyoAni isn't even used in 50% of their adaptions and those were all in a span of five years. To add to the list of studio's that have animated Key visual novels we have 8bit for Rewrite and David Production will do Planetarian.

While I love KyoAni to death it makes perfect sense at the moment why they wouldn't be animating Key visual novels but who knows, maybe in the future we will see them come back to them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2