• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Broadcast Dub Casts for Tales of Zestria the X, Both Arcs of Danganronpa 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm pretty sure Lunarre in the game is voiced by Keith Silverstein, at least that's who he sounds like to me. Aside from Lunarre, I also heard him as Seraph Uno. It seems Keith is always left uncredited in the Tales games. I can't quite remember Baltrow's voice, but thinking of "T. Axelrod," his voice sounds about right.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one that loves Ayers' Monokuma without reservation. His gravely high-pitched voice works perfectly (imo) for a character whose main motif is that he's a murderous children's mascot. The game's VA made him sound more like a jester than anything.
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
It would have been nice if funimation put in the effort for Danganronpa season 1 dub but still its great funimation brought back the voice cast from Danganronpa 2.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tri-GuyDVD wrote:
It would have been nice if funimation put in the effort for Danganronpa season 1 dub but still its great funimation brought back the voice cast from Danganronpa 2.

In the commentary of episode 1, they actually address why they didn't have the cast of the game sans Bryce Papenbrook. They were working on the dub before the complete cast list of the game was made public, with the only voice actor known being Bryce.

Thankfully for them, Bryce was at Funi working on Attack on Titan and since he was already there they just decided to use him when they had the chance. (It's funny how Christopher Bevins put it: "I didn't want to go up to you and be like, 'Hey Bryce, how are you doing? Do you mind if I go ahead and recast you in Dangan Ronpa?'")
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure Lunarre in the game is voiced by Keith Silverstein, at least that's who he sounds like to me. Aside from Lunarre, I also heard him as Seraph Uno. It seems Keith is always left uncredited in the Tales games. I can't quite remember Baltrow's voice, but thinking of "T. Axelrod," his voice sounds about right.

Every voice actor in the Tales games is uncredited. We only know who some of them are because they either come out and say that they're in the games or we recognize their voices from other works. No one is sure who voiced Elize in Tales of Xillia, for instance (though I'm beginning to suspect it was Marisha Ray based on a similar-sounding character she played in Fire Emblem Fates).
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
[
Every voice actor in the Tales games is uncredited. We only know who some of them are because they either come out and say that they're in the games or we recognize their voices from other works. No one is sure who voiced Elize in Tales of Xillia, for instance (though I'm beginning to suspect it was Marisha Ray based on a similar-sounding character she played in Fire Emblem Fates).

Even after all these years the voice of Tear Grants remains a mystery.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. Got too used to Twitter announcements and treated them as official cast credits. Interesting bit about Elize, guess I'd need to hear Marisha Ray in Fire Emblem Fates then.
macattack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
ZeArNkN wrote:
[

All we know is that it is the same mystery VA who did Naoto in most Persona 4 media because the voice for both characters are identical.

I've heard some of the strangest theories over the years, my favorite being that it's Scarlett Johansson. But I doubt we'll ever know.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

No, it's been known for a very long time since her performance as Rondo in Eternal Sonata: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Nicole-Balick/
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Seif wrote:

No, it's been known for a very long time since her performance as Rondo in Eternal Sonata: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Nicole-Balick/

Oh well, the more you know.
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Tri-GuyDVD wrote:

In the commentary of episode 1, they actually address why they didn't have the cast of the game sans Bryce Papenbrook. They were working on the dub before the complete cast list of the game was made public, with the only voice actor known being Bryce.

Thankfully for them, Bryce was at Funi working on Attack on Titan and since he was already there they just decided to use him when they had the chance. (It's funny how Christopher Bevins put it: "I didn't want to go up to you and be like, 'Hey Bryce, how are you doing? Do you mind if I go ahead and recast you in Dangan Ronpa?'")

Alright that clears things up still its a shame though. Also with that said i guess Funimation can be trusted with dubs sometimes.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
It's great to see that Funimation always does there best to get as many of the original English cast as possible for Anime series based off video games. Very Happy

This Very Happy

It's great that they've gotten onboard with really trying to keep these casts.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
While I have not played "Tales of Zestiria", it is nice when you can get some of the video game VA to reprise their role in the anime. For one thing, it has consistency to it. For LA-based VA like Robbie, I think they might be using a home studio or using BangZoom! because flying to Funi back/forth for 12-13 weeks is such a waste.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While I have not played "Tales of Zestiria", it is nice when you can get some of the video game VA to reprise their role in the anime. For one thing, it has consistency to it. For LA-based VA like Robbie, I think they might be using a home studio or using BangZoom! because flying to Funi back/forth for 12-13 weeks is such a waste.

It truly is great. Since it's Christian La Monte who's directing the LA voice cast and from what I know he's done some work over at Cup of Tea Productions. I'd say it's being done there, which is great since they've recorded most (if not all) of the Tales games since Tales of Symphonia.

FUNimation had BlazBlue: Alter Memory dubbed there too with Patrick Seitz directing. Again, the games were also recorded at Cup of Tea.

Having seen the first episode of the Broadcast Dub and watched/played the previous Tales of Zestiria stuff, I'd say that the performances sound even better now. Also, greatly prefer Austin Tindle's Lunarre. He sounds amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2