• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Sep 9-15

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The thing with Planetarian is it ended on a very good note so I believe that good rating is repeated for the null weeks which sort of overstates how consistently well the show executed.

No, I get that, I just don't understand how it shows a +2 move in the cumulatives when there's no change in any of the top 11 positions, and the list order for those 11 slots is also exactly the same from the week before. Their lines all look like this between this week and last: ._.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
#24. Twin Star Exorcists

No manga fan cares when it´s a good filler that adds to the themes of the manga, but when is one that harms it, EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MIND
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
The thing with Planetarian is it ended on a very good note so I believe that good rating is repeated for the null weeks which sort of overstates how consistently well the show executed.

No, I get that, I just don't understand how it shows a +2 move in the cumulatives when there's no change in any of the top 11 positions, and the list order for those 11 slots is also exactly the same from the week before. Their lines all look like this between this week and last: ._.

Oh that. That seems to be based off the difference between its current position and its last one all the way back in episode 5. Yeah the system isn't designed with long absences in mind. If a show is off for a week or two it doesn't make sense to compare the most recent episode to the phantom stand in's position but rather the last episode that aired. Which generates weird seeming results when you have long absences.

And Skerlly settle down bro
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Out of curiosity, does it have any impact if people go back and rate episodes from previous weeks? I fell behind on a lot of shows this season, somewhat intentionally, and went through and rated a lot of episodes from prior weeks, as well as the latest episode. Does that have any effect on the rankings, or are they locked into place after each week?

Once the ranking is published, it's locked into place as you put it.

But eventually we're going to show this data in the Encyclopedia as a graph for "best/worst episodes of the series", and that's going to include all ratings no matter when the votes are cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Ah, but there is a change in the top 11 positions. In the week of Sep 2-8, Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc fell below D.Gray-man Hallow. So that gives us
planetarian > D.Gray-man
D.Gray-man > Danganronpa
Danganronpa > planetarian
and through the magic of math, this nonlinear tie is resolved with planetarian coming out on top.

The system really isn't designed with long absences in mind, but it's not worth the time and effort of fixing it just for this exception.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Ah, but there is a change in the top 11 positions. In the week of Sep 2-8, Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc fell below D.Gray-man Hallow. So that gives us
planetarian > D.Gray-man
D.Gray-man > Danganronpa
Danganronpa > planetarian
and through the magic of math, this nonlinear tie is resolved with planetarian coming out on top.

planetarian > Danganronpa between Sept 2-8 and Sept 9-15. What happened between Aug 26-Sept 1 and Sept 2-8 shouldn't raise planetarian 2 slots between Sept 2-8 and Sept 9-15, and according to the graph, it doesn't. There is no change in the order of the top 11 between Sept 2-8 and Sept 9-15. The order both weeks is (1-4, 10-11 omitted for space, but they're unchanged too):
-- 5: 91 Days
2∆ 6: planetarian
-- 7: D. Gray-man
-- 8: Danganronpa
-- 9: Thunderbolt Fantasy

I've always taken the up and down triangles to be the change from the previous week. And if the line between two weeks is horizontal, I've assumed that should indicate no change between those weeks. Are you saying that's not what it means?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
#24. Twin Star Exorcists

No manga fan cares when it´s a good filler that adds to the themes of the manga, but when is one that harms it, EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MIND

Yep, One Piece recently climbed out of the latter. They sunk pretty low for that one.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Ok now I see what you mean. The "2∆" increase for planetarian is the difference between its last two episodes, episode 4 and 5. IIRC I set it up that way because it made more sense for the "final ep" repeat week of the weekly ranking. But yeah, for the cumulative ranking it's weird. I'll see if I can fix it next season.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Out of curiosity, does it have any impact if people go back and rate episodes from previous weeks? I fell behind on a lot of shows this season, somewhat intentionally, and went through and rated a lot of episodes from prior weeks, as well as the latest episode. Does that have any effect on the rankings, or are they locked into place after each week?

Once the ranking is published, it's locked into place as you put it.

But eventually we're going to show this data in the Encyclopedia as a graph for "best/worst episodes of the series", and that's going to include all ratings no matter when the votes are cast.

Thanks for the clarification! Interesting.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
On the cumulative chart, One Piece continues to rise in the ranking Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Ok now I see what you mean. The "2∆" increase for planetarian is the difference between its last two episodes, episode 4 and 5. IIRC I set it up that way because it made more sense for the "final ep" repeat week of the weekly ranking. But yeah, for the cumulative ranking it's weird. I'll see if I can fix it next season.

Ahh. Going back to episode 5, you're right, it's always 2∆ regardless of its movement in the ranking. Weird. Smile Thanks for clearing that up!

It's amusing how planetarian keeps steadily rising to the heavens since its death, while Arslan is barely able to keep from sinking into the quicksand.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Well, to be fair, it's pretty rare for one series to end significantly before any other series, so this is a problem that probably won't come up again for some time.
immidragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Are Felt and Priscilla sisters? ...... !!! Shocked
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
^Are you posting that question in the right forum? AFAIK no
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2