• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Except Stars needs some changes because it was crap in both 90s anime AND the manga.

Agreed. I doubt Crystal will change much if it gets to it, though. (and I'd say the odds of it doing Stars are fairly high)

Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Sexual violence? I don't remember that. Although it's been a while since I watched that season.

The Amazon Trio restrain you to a board, and then peer into your dreams against your will. It's very invasive, and the victims usually scream in discomfort and/or beg them to stop.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="1dbad"]
tootbrush wrote:
(making the Kings in love with the Inners.

That was of questionable canon to begin with, though. It wasn't in the manga, but there is a drawing of the Inners and Mamoru's Guardians in the first artbook where Takeuchi mentions "the couplings were very unexpected, I was thinking about the love stories of the past lives of these couples. I'd like to draw that some day..."
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I've mainly been supporting Crystal for so long because I've been wanting a faithful adaptation of Dream and Stars since I first read the manga way back in high school. I've always wanted to see the Sailor Quartet and Sailor Cosmos finally animated and I'm so excited it looks like we're finally getting that (this pretty much also solidifies a new Stars anime). But I'm wondering who's going to direct the new season since Chiaki Kon is busy doing Naruto? And is there still chance we can get this by the spring?
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
So kind of looking forward to this? Season 3 was a massive improvement over the first two Crystal seasons, but it was going up against my most beloved of Classic's arcs, so it basically had no chance there. (And I admit that I had some serious beef against the quasi-love-triangle it tossed in.) But I detested Classic's take on the Dream arc and actually enjoyed it in the manga (a far less obnoxious Chibi-Usa helped things immensely). Plus, the Classic version has some really unsettling (and probably intentional) parallels to sexual violence that really dampens my enjoyment on a rewatch, so yeah. Fingers crossed for a strong production team this time around as well.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of god, Toei, stop making other companies use your terrible subs.

Sexual violence? I don't remember that. Although it's been a while since I watched that season.
Most likely they're referring to the creepy behavior of the Amazon Trio in the 90s anime.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
NateSelwyn25 wrote:
That was of questionable canon to begin with, though. It wasn't in the manga, but there is a drawing of the Inners and Mamoru's Guardians in the first artbook where Takeuchi mentions "the couplings were very unexpected, I was thinking about the love stories of the past lives of these couples. I'd like to draw that some day..."

I understand why they included it. My problem was they didn't do a good job with it. If you don't have the screentime to do a new subplot well, it's probably better not to try it at all.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first of the new live action musicals did a better job of covering the Shittenou's romance. But the biggest disappointment for season one for me was they changed it so spoiler[Sailor Moon killed Beryl instead of Venus.]
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
NateSelwyn25 wrote:

I understand why they included it. My problem was they didn't do a good job with it. If you don't have the screentime to do a new subplot well, it's probably better not to try it at all.

Nope. Zoicite+Kunzite = Gay couple. I will not accept anything else. LOL
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Nope. Zoicite+Kunzite = Gay couple. I will not accept anything else. LOL

Yeah, I've never cared for the Inners x Kings ships myself. Instead of making me understand the appeal, Crystal's handling of them only soured me on them even more. Anime hyper
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
But the biggest disappointment for season one for me was they changed it so spoiler[Sailor Moon killed Beryl instead of Venus.]

I didn't like that change either but it did make sense and I could have let it slide if it wasn't for the fact that spoiler[they censored Beryl's death by making it about her necklace (in the manga she was stabbed) while keeping Moon's suicide attempt in the second half intact.] That and the way they handled spoiler[the Shittenou's deaths and afterwards] almost made me drop the series at the time.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DREAM ARC! DREAM ARC! Very Happy
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
YESSSS~~~! I was so excited when I saw the confirmation! I knew it was coming since Amour Eternal had been finished for a minute, but yay!

And I'm excited about all of these new collabs and stuff the show is getting. Maybe more money from merch now means an even better budget, lol.

I love Dream and Stars so much, and no shade on Classic, but I didn't like how it handled either so I'm excited for a more manga-faithful adaption. It's also nice to have Myu to give us some more interpretation as an adaption.

Looking forward to seeing the team for it. :')
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hated Super S, so this is welcomed and a huge chance I'll like it much more.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

There, that's the gif I wanted! :D

Seeing these comments about the pairings between the Inner Senshi and the Four Kings reminds me that there were even faint lampshades of it in the Sailor Moon Another Story RPG on Super Famicom spoiler[(each Senshi goes to a different country to find a sunlight stone and they end up going to their respective King pairing's area)].
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Is it TOO MUCH for some people to hope that they MIGHT do an honest to goodness adaptation of Codename: Sailor V and/or the SM Short Stories????

The remake is one thing, how about tackling things that were hinted at or promised the first time around when SM was adapted into an anime series?

There was more than a hint they were going to do a Sailor V OVA series... Some of the design and concept art for the proposed "V" OVA ended up in the original Sailor Moon TV series.

[Before somebody else makes this joke -- Yes, Sailor "V for Vendetta." She's an anarchist AND has a bone to pick with the Negaverse!
[T-shirt design already available on Deviant Art!]

I think Sailor V is different enough yet still similar enough to SM. Something new but not so different that it drives away fans from the main franchise (which ironically WAS the spin-off and NOT the reverse in this case).
I can't imagine that if they DID do an adaptation that it would be much more 6 episodes, a mini-, mini-TV series, unless they decided to pad out and create new story arcs.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
The SuperS arc is what I've been waiting for since they announced this manga-ish cannon project.

It has like 90% of my favorite parts of the entire manga story.

And really, I can't wait till Stars gets here, too, so it can be a confusing mess to people who only know of the old anime.

SuperS is one of the first of the huge changes between old and new; Stars would be completely new to anime in its form.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3