• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Oscar Campaigns For Anime Worth It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I was going to come in and explain why I don't take the Oscars seriously at all but...

Snakebit1995 wrote:
As many Film buffs will tell you the Oscars are an antiquated, overated system for most of the Film Industry to stoke it's own ego. Most will agree not getting nominated doesn't mean your film is bad and winning an Oscar doesn't even mean your film is good. Some Directors and Actors get nominated every year for just being who they are and not for the film the made. For years people would say Miyazaki got nominated for being Miyazaki, not for making great films (Not that his films were awful or anything but not always as good as some that were snubbed for his to get in.).

That's everything I would have said.

The people who vote don't even watch everything nominated. MetaCritic is more reliable.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Kimi no Na wa. didn´t get "snubbed", it´s the Titanic equivalent of the anime scene. It sure looks nice but boy oh boy is it a formula driven slog.

Funny you'd make that comparison since Titanic is currently tied with All About Eve and La La Land for most Oscar nominations ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least we can all agree this was not as god-awful as the nominations for the first ever Best Stunt Coordinator Oscar. I mean, MY GOD. Also, Silence got snubbed way too hard, and despite being the biggest movie this year Civil War went empty-handed when freaking SUICIDE SQUAD was nominated! At least the Big Eight categories are fine as they are; I thought La La Land was flawed, but I wouldn't mind if it won Best Picture (Manchester by the Sea was better though).
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Your Name got "snubbed" doesn't bother me in the slightest The Oscars have always been as far back as I can remember have felt kind of safe and old fashioned, Good art will survive even if it goes unacknowledged by the Academy.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The oscars are a shame just like pretty much every other award show. It's for hollywood elitist who live in their own perfect little world where anything that is strange or even remotely challenges there beliefs doesn't exist. I find the whole ordeal laughable actually. Laughing
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime already wins tons of awards at Japanese award shows, I don't understand why people obsess over American award shows so much, rather than Japanese ones, which are more relevent to the medium.

-Stuart Smith
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Anime already wins tons of awards at Japanese award shows, I don't understand why people obsess over American award shows so much, rather than Japanese ones, which are more relevent to the medium.

-Stuart Smith

That IS true. All of Hosoda's films have won the Japanese version of the award for Animated Feature, and Your Name is nominated. In the long run, I think it has to do with the Academy (and Hollywood in general) giving more appreciation to foreign products, specifically anime, and allow these films to be widely seen by the masses. I mean, if you walked down the street and asked people about anime films, a few will know Spirited Away, and next to none will know about Akira (yes, I just said that, but it's true). It really boils down to us trying to have our medium recognized when the Academy's only exposure to anime is likely just Ghibli and Pokémon.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Another factor that worked in Miyazaki's favor was that the guys at Pixar were big fans of his work at the very time they had reached the peak combination of studio success and 3D novelty. Spirited Away was originally released in Japan in 2001, the same year as Monsters Inc.was released in the US. Monsters Inc lost out to Shrek for the very first Academy award for animated feature and Sprited Away won in 2002. Pixar's John Lasseter was in charge of the English dub and the film was distributed by Disney in English. So compared with your.name and other anime it had a lot of power backing it up - even if its initial release was only in a few dozen theaters.

Disney and Lasseter teamed up on several other translations of Miyazaki's worth including Ponyo, but never really recaptured the lightning of Spirited Away.

Bottom line is: if you want to even get mentioned for an Oscar, you'd better produce an English dub as your qualifying release, and give word of mouth enough time to do its work if you don't have a budget for promotion. Rushing a one week run into one theater in LA isn't enough. Though your.name may not have had a choice: the earlier screenings at film festivals in North America may have disqualified it for a 2017-18 bid. Dunno enough about Oscar rules.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Well, at least we can all agree this was not as god-awful as the nominations for the first ever Best Stunt Coordinator Oscar. I mean, MY GOD. Also, Silence got snubbed way too hard, and despite being the biggest movie this year Civil War went empty-handed when freaking SUICIDE SQUAD was nominated!

Suicide Squad was nominated for Best Makeup. That doesn't count.
If it did, then you'd be in rages that Robin Williams, Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy were all in "Oscar-nominated movies".
("Remo Williams" I don't mind seeing nominated, but Joel Grey was robbed for Supporting Actor.)
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film has had almost zero exposure in the US so far, and its theatrical release won't happen until April. I don't know if Funimation sent out screeners specifically to Academy members, but I know a lot of people that get awards screeners every year for the other major awards (SAG, PGA, DGA, WGA, etc.), and have yet to hear of a single person getting a copy -- which means that if screeners did go out, they didn't carpet the town with them as is usually the practice

I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation were under similar restrictions to Anime Limiteds BAFTA push of Your Name in the UK, one of which was that no screeners could be distributed.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The movie made $330 million already. Why should the anime community desperately seek the approval of a bunch of rich, corrupt, out of touch guys?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:
As anime fans and professionals, we should probably stop looking to the Oscars for affirmation.

In fairness, we should strive to adopt an attitude like this. That is not to say it isn't difficult though!
Given that the charade is so respected by the public as the primary indication of which films are the most aesthetically significant, one cannot help but see the omission of highly worthy titles as somewhat of an injustice. Not an especially large one given the world's political woes, but still significant enough for a pang to register.

I wouldn't think so. The Oscars are just a self promotion event for Hollywood: Its just a self promotion event by the movie industry of one country. We pay attention to it because that country is highly influential but actually we shouldn't, we know better than that.

I think ANN should just focus on the Japanese film critics awards that they give in Japan for animation, they have a whole animation division there as well: prizes for best voice actor, actress and musical soundtrack, etc. Girls und Panzer Der Film even won a prize there, something far more interesting than looking at which identical Disney/Pixar children's movie will win a prize.

Quote:
Certainly, I can admit to being somewhat sullen after I saw the nomination list. It was to suggest that this juggernaut of an award ceremony, which for all its organisational flaws still ensnares the media and thereby the general viewer, is highly unlikely to acknowledge even the most exceptional anime for the foreseeable future.

Well, they don't even acknowledge the world's largest film industry: India. An Indian film never won an Oscar for best film even though they produce more films than any other country and whose theaters sell more tickets than any other country as well (more tickets are sold for Bollywood films than Hollywood films even including the foreign gross of Hollywood films). Why would they acknowledge Japan which is by far the world's largest animation producer?

I still think it's pretty weird Spirited Away won an Oscar. I think that might be because of a exceptional combination of factors that time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
It seems like a lot of people are missing the point as to why anyone actually cares. The reason that Justin talked about very clearly in the post. Why does anyone care about the Oscars? M O N E Y! LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY! I don't personally care if something I like gets an award. It's irrelevant to my enjoyment of it. But if something wins an Oscar, like Justin said, it could literally multiply the amount of sales it would have otherwise had. Probably several times over for an anime movie. That's enough reason for people to care about it. That mainstream visibility by itself can be invaluable too.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
An overlooked factor by Justin is Hayao Miyazaki´s utter lack of respect for the academy. He is Mr. Anime to them and he kind positioned the well with his behavior. The Oscar race is a "political" game after all!

The fact that it's a political game is a pretty good sign that Miyazaki shows the Academy the amount of respect it's due.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
As was mentioned in the article itself, GKids seems to be really, really good at getting anime movies nominated. But once the voting actually happens, it's completely out of their hands. I think the issue here is either companies other than GKids putting out nominations or getting an anime movie the win.

Something I noticed however, observing circles for western animation, foreign animation, and animation in general, the anime films GKids manages to get on the ballot will catch their attention and become recognizable to them. (I think your name is already recognizable to a lot of these communities though.) It's when the movie wins, as with Spirited Away, that it seems the mainstream will pay attention to it. That's what needs to happen. It's not enough that your name needs to get nominated, but that it also needs to win.

In any case, there's still the Annie Awards and the Golden Globes. Or, since it hasn't had an official American release yet, perhaps it's eligible for the following year.

Brutannica wrote:
But let's be honest with ourselves here -- how many of us watch all the animated film nominations each year? Especially the obscure, usually European movies that usually get nominated at least once each time?

I managed to pull it off one year with the help of Redbox. There are some local Redbox machines that even have those foreign nominations, though they don't stick around for long. (I kind of procrastinated every subsequent year and eventually forgot to watch them though.)

Zin5ki wrote:
In fairness, we should strive to adopt an attitude like this. That is not to say it isn't difficult though!
Given that the charade is so respected by the public as the primary indication of which films are the most aesthetically significant, one cannot help but see the omission of highly worthy titles as somewhat of an injustice. Not an especially large one given the world's political woes, but still significant enough for a pang to register.

Certainly, I can admit to being somewhat sullen after I saw the nomination list. It was to suggest that this juggernaut of an award ceremony, which for all its organisational flaws still ensnares the media and thereby the general viewer, is highly unlikely to acknowledge even the most exceptional anime for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, Kubo and the Two Strings was nominated for Best Animated Film. It is American, but I was worried it'd be completely passed up.

0nsen wrote:
Haven't the Oscars stopped being relevant, like, 20 years ago? Are they still doing their shenanigans? Geez.

They have never stopped being relevant. That year with The Dark Knight was the first time, to my knowledge, the Oscars didn't bring in the top viewership, but it went back up to the top the following year. (Also, every year, the Oscars become the dominant topic of conversation around me, and it's been this way for as long as I can remember.)

kinghumanity wrote:
The movie made $330 million already. Why should the anime community desperately seek the approval of a bunch of rich, corrupt, out of touch guys?

Because the North American mainstream is one of the groups where your name is still obscure, and they (and that includes me) want it to be more well known. The box office a movie brings in means nothing if you can't chat with about it offline with your classmates or co-workers.

(I was pretty surprised, towards the tail end of my most recent retail job, to find someone whom I could discuss Sailor Moon Crystal with. She seemed just as surprised as me.)

Jose Cruz wrote:
I wouldn't think so. The Oscars are just a self promotion event for Hollywood: Its just a self promotion event by the movie industry of one country. We pay attention to it because that country is highly influential but actually we shouldn't, we know better than that.

That country also has the third highest population, a very high per capita income, and a culture geared towards entertainment. Entire industries bend over backwards to sell to the United States because the company heads know that if they can sell to these people, it's an instant windfall.

You see this most evidently with the automobile industry: The United States has among the highest emission standards in the world, and every major car manufacturer makes absolutely sure they'll meet them. We saw just two years ago in Volkswagen how they'll do anything to pass those standards so they can sell to Americans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4