• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: GANTZ:O

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scriver058

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
Lack of Kurono isn't a deal breaker for me, since this is the Osaka arc that was adapted and he didn't figure too much into that one in the manga.

As far as the movie itself, review is on the money. Gorgeous CGI and cool action, with a few nice character beats is all I need out of this. Disappointed that the vampires, telekinetics and a couple of the more controversial Osaka team members didn't make the cut, but I get why, and again not a deal breaker when it comes to the movie. I do hope it gets a physical release one day.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the film.

Story was sub par and cliched, but the action and visuals made up for it.

Of course I've read the whole manga so those who haven't will just feel lost.

I hope this was successful enough for them to animate the whole thing, from the start and to the end in several movies

The CG, while not Square Enix level is still one of the best ever made. Those creature and monster rigs and animation are no joke! Impressive stuff!

Also they were obviously aiming for a stylized look and not just hightened realism, so the manga's character designs are retained well. Action choreography and camera work was excellent. Completely outstanding compared to the horrible execution of Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV.

I have money ready for a blu ray version of this and the hopes of seeing more films.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

I don't know nor care much about the manga. What I do know is they way Gantz:O introduces its main character & audience to the game world (or whatever it is) is taken straight from the "I watched Battle Royale" playbook. I mentioned Ichii the Killer because Gantz:O feels like a film made ten years too late to ride the extreme Asian cinema fad.

Gantz 0's film is not mainstream/off the street viewer friendly, you do need to be acquainted with the Gantz universe.My two cents.

Gantz still sells well in Japan.

Bearing in mind that you have stated "I don't know nor care much about the manga"

I'll ask how is Gantz 0 "taken straight from Battle Royale"? or "a film made ten years too late to ride the extreme Asian cinema fad"?

Again I understand why a someone without any knowledge of Gantz would dislike the film version of Gantz 0 and why fans would disapprove of the changes.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
What I do know is they way Gantz:O introduces its main character & audience to the game world (or whatever it is) is taken straight from the "I watched Battle Royale" playbook. I mentioned Ichii the Killer because Gantz:O feels like a film made ten years too late to ride the extreme Asian cinema fad.

It isn't, so please drop this bizarre effort to link it to Battle Royale. It was a nasty commentary on population control, while Gantz is a live-action video game about fighting aliens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
ganz is a socail commentary on how people would act in a particular extreme situation Razz
AngeloB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the movie, but there's something in the end that I didn't understand very well. For most of the movie, I was fed the idea that Kato had to earn 100 points and choose option 3 (freedom with memory wipe) to be released from the games and go back to his brother.

Yet, in the end he chose option 2, to resurect the girl and yet, Gantz allowed him to go out of that room and go meet his brother. So, what's going on here?

1 - When not participating in a game, they can still lead their normal lives, they're just teleported to that room when a crysis happens? This means that option 3's advantage is that the players cease to be conjured to the games, right?
2 - Kato received a double reward?

Also, it's weird that, if they knew him, they didn't behave like they knew him.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
AngeloB wrote:
I've enjoyed the movie, but there's something in the end that I didn't understand very well. For most of the movie, I was fed the idea that Kato had to earn 100 points and choose option 3 (freedom with memory wipe) to be released from the games and go back to his brother.

Yet, in the end spoiler[he chose option 2, to resurect the girl and yet, Gantz allowed him to go out of that room and go meet his brother. So, what's going on here?

1 - When not participating in a game, they can still lead their normal lives, they're just teleported to that room when a crysis happens? This means that option 3's advantage is that the players cease to be conjured to the games, right?

Also, it's weird that, if they knew him, they didn't behave like they knew him.]

Your first theory is correct: spoiler[surviving players can move on with their lives in between missions. And the others acted like they didn't know Kato because they didn't want to make things awkward, considering he didn't remember them anymore.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
AngeloB wrote:

Yet, in the end he chose option 2, to resurrect the girl and yet, Gantz allowed him to go out of that room and go meet his brother. So, what's going on here?

Also, it's weird that, if they knew him, they didn't behave like they knew him.

Well your points highlight the changes from the manga,changes which muddle up the story for both fans and not-fans.

Had the movie followed the storyline of the Osaka Arc, just a little closer,stuff may have had made more sense to everyone(maybe).

Opening should have established that Kurono and Kato were the best of friends not some quick nod at the end.
Kato should have been on the team from the start and shown as a experienced fighter.
Kato should have used his 100 points to resurrect Kurono and not Yamasaki(who is a minor character).

Sorry for rambling.

To answer one of your points without going on much.

In the movie Kato uses his 100 points to resurrect the girl(Yamasaki) then walks out the door leaving newcomers with the impression of a happy ending.(yes he is still part of Gantz and not free).

That is one the plot holes/story contrivance in the Gantz.What team members could and could not do after leaving the room.
Gantz would make copies of those who were either on the verge of death or had just died,some of which had very public and messy deaths.
So having copies of recently deceased people go back to their normal 'life' for me created a weak spots in the story.
Considering team members were forbidden to talk about Gantz to non-members or their heads would explode.
That was changed along other rules dealing with what members could or could not do, for ....reasons as far as I understood.

Sorry for rambling again.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
Just watched this, also read the manga a while ago, so my memory of specifics is hazy, but this movie is DEFINITELY GANTZ through and through. So what if the details are altered (I don't remember the boss monster going through like 10 different forms just so we could see all the fan favorite villains, but maybe I'm wrong?)? But the stylish ultra-violence, body horror, cool black suits, and ham-fisted attempts at emotion are all pretty spot on. People who compare this to Battle Royale just aren't really looking close enough. Death/survival games go back a long way, and the devil's in the details and themes. I think I remember the manga writer actually citing American blockbusters like Back to the Future as inspirations rather than any specific Japanese fare, and it kind of shows with all the cool sci-fi weaponry and realistic character designs/scenery (boob design notwithstanding).

Anyway, regarding the movie, I just wanted to say that the scene very early on where Kato dies (it's in the review, I don't think this is a spoiler) actually made me laugh out loud. After he gets stabbed (in a pretty lame fashion, I might add; also the murderer is DUEL WIELDING knives LOL), the killer runs off and ACTUALLY KICKS THE BIRTHDAY CAKE that he had bought for his little brother who he had JUST LIED TO about not remembering his birthday in order to surprise him. It could only have been more cringey if Kato had also just mentioned that he was a day away from retirement. I don't remember the manga ever getting that transparently tropey, although it came close sometimes.

Last edited by DrunkAyanami on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:09 am; edited 2 times in total
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I liked this movie. I'm a bit disappointed that they changed so much from the manga since there are some reactions and scenes that I would have wanted to see, but it makes sense to try and make it more viewable to new comers. Muscle rider and that psychic dude were missing which annoyed me a bit though.

There's a muscle rider cameo at the end, in case you missed it. Although it's largely just a (glorious) butt shot: http://imgur.com/jhZnLPG

P.S. Are we allowed to post screenshots? If so, here's another fun shot of all the dead GANTZers that we can play "who do we recognize?" with:
http://imgur.com/8lXnMGe
I definitely recognize a few. Makes me wonder whatever happened to the dog and the panda in the manga. I kind of remember them just disappearing with no explanation. Which I guess is preferable to some dog-gore scene, but still, some closure would be nice.

EDIT: Also just noticed that muscle rider's pic is with the dead people too, and they used manga character designs for SOME of the pictures but not all, which makes it WEIRD to stare at for more than 30 seconds.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
So having copies of recently deceased people go back to their normal 'life' for me created a weak spots in the story.

Allowing the Gantz players to go back to their ordinary lives after a game was a good thing IMO, because it provided development as well as insight into their characters, and it showed the separation between their personalities inside and outside the game at times. One of the best examples (in the manga) was the sneak peek into the Osaka team's daily lives outside the game; most of them were pretty regular and respectable members of society. Inside the game, they got to unleash their most degenerate desires.

The rest of the stuff was abandoned as the scale of the fights increased, and those elements weren't particularly useful anymore anyway.

DrunkAyanami wrote:
After he gets stabbed (in a pretty lame fashion, I might add; also the murderer is DUEL WIELDING knives LOL), the killer runs off and ACTUALLY KICKS THE BIRTHDAY CAKE that he had bought for his little brother who he had JUST LIED TO about not remembering his birthday in order to surprise him.

That's not even the best part of it for me. It's the swagger the killer displays when he walks off after stabbing Kato, he's bopping like he's hot shit. It's like he gives absolutely no fucks about being caught.

Highlight of the movie for me was definitely Oka and his arsenal against the Nurarihyon. It's a shame he didn't last that long.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
P.S. Are we allowed to post screenshots? If so, here's another fun shot of all the dead GANTZers that we can play "who do we recognize?" with:
http://imgur.com/8lXnMGe

Cool easter egg. The only somewhat important character they forgot about was the Lara Croft lookalike from the Buddha mission. Was the guy who looks a lot like Kohshi from Flow in the manga, too? I can't recall.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
There's a muscle rider cameo at the end, in case you missed it. Although it's largely just a (glorious) butt shot: http://imgur.com/jhZnLPG

Oh, nice catch. I did miss that one. That little kid who follows him around and calls him Muscle Rider seems to be standing next him too. Don't get why he has been killed off in the movie though. I liked his character, and I also liked the psychic dude so I'm wondering why they were left out. Maybe they wanted to make the cast smaller?
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for a feature length movie based on the Osaka arc some character cuts had to be made, plus the vampires and to an extent the ESP guys invite too many questions having to do with the greater Gantz mythology for a standalone 90 minute movie.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
If anything 'Hunger Games' is the knock off of Battle Royale

This I would absolutely agree with. In fact, that was my first thought when I read the Hunger Games novels, though I'd be surprised if Suzanne Collins was even aware of the movie or print versions. (She doesn't cite it as one of her inspirations and could easily have put the concept together only from the ones she does cite.) Claiming Gantz is a rip-off that is a sizable stretch.

i agree. gantz being a rip off is definitely over the top and completely untrue. though hungering games is definitely a blatant rip off of battle royale. it's one of the reason why i never watched the move let alone read the novels. hell i'm pretty much positive that some people dont even know that the twilight series is basically a very very bad rip off of vampire knight which is frankly ten times better.

Quote:
All of the other casting choices are solid too, although there seems to be some dispute about the accuracy of the credits; Cristina Vee and Laura Post are listed in Netflix's credits for the two female roles, but both actresses have insisted on Twitter that it's not them. The English script sometimes alters what's being said, but not in any impactful way.

something is very very fishy about that. its clear that one of the two parties are either lying or something else. i really doubt that netflix would add the name of a VA in the credit listings then it turns out they never did voice work for that series. accident or not, the VA can sue the pants off of netflix for slandering their names which would pretty much end their plans in the anime industry. then again, i am definitely not concluding that the VA are lying themselves cause i do not have any proof and saying otherwise is irresponsible. but there is definitely something seriously wrong here. both actress in their twitter pages have stated that neither one of them did voice work in the series.

so the ball is pretty much in netflix's court now. but if they make a statement that they did, things could get seriously ugly and costly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3