• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I don't make a point of it but I'm the founder and owner of J-Novel Club. So yes I know about Little Apocalypse I licensed it Smile.

It's all of course my ultimate plan to use my site as a platform to advertise my own novels. Of course.

Neat! I've read a few of the novels you guys have put out, and the translations have been top notch. Faraway Paladin is an absolute treasure, as well. I know you guys don't have the property, but are you excited for Overlord S2?
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It's all of course my ultimate plan to use my site as a platform to advertise my own novels. Of course.

Suddenly there's an increase in unillustrated novels by Japanese writers you've never heard of that all have a similar writing style on the platform.............. People vaguely smell something fishy going on, but enjoy the stories too much to be concerned.
(But in serious, mad props to you for founding the service. The more LNs getting officially licensed the happier I am)

On topic, the novel sounds like it has potential but it also sounds like it could either end up being rather boring due to drowning the reader in info dumps and stuff, or it will end up getting generic and the ideas that make it different will be shoved aside.

Personally I'd like the main dude to have a dilemma regarding his harem once it expands, as he starts becoming suspicious of whether any of the girls actually like him or if they're all faking it to gain a position of power.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While this could be a wish-fulfillment issue later on in the series, at the moment, Kazuya isn't even planning on marrying Liscia right now, so the fact that a fourth contender for his heart is set to appear next book.

Seems like the end of this sentence got lost. So the fact means what?
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Lost me at him being automatically being made king. I would've preferred him moving up the ranks by serving as a kind of a "court wizard" or something while maybe trying to pull the strings from behind the scenes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Seems like the end of this sentence got lost. So the fact means what?

Hmm, not sure what happened there. The fact that she's set to appear seems about par for the harem course, but given Girl #4's identity spoiler[as the daughter of one of his political rivals], the whole polygamy thing may be about to take on a more important role.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Lost me at him being automatically being made king. I would've preferred him moving up the ranks by serving as a kind of a "court wizard" or something while maybe trying to pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Seriously, you should read Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court if you want that.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

well he got summoned, so overestimating him is logical.
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I love this idea. "Spice and Wolf" - Holo = Realist Hero.

Even more promising for me is that this seems to be the second (that I know of) in what may be a new type of Japanese story: light novels for people with intellectual interests. One of the things I loved most about Spice and Wolf was how often I had to think really hard to follow the economics in it. Usually the economics seemed right to me from the little I know of it.
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why more of those heroes and heroines summoned to other worlds don't put their knowledge of modern life to work?

No Game No Life
Log Horizon
Knights and Magic (sort of)

And that's just off the top of my head.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever wondered why more of those heroes and heroines summoned to other worlds don't put their knowledge of modern life to work?

No Game No Life
Log Horizon

theres also Rudeus Greyrat of Mushoku Tensei and Tomokui Kanata aka Goblin-Rou of re:Monster.
In the case of the first he used his (high school?) knowledge of weather to create a self-generating tornado opposed to one that needed to be sustained through magic.
the latter used his life experience from his original world to go from well a goblin to practically demigod status though i suppose thats mostly because of his broken ability (which apparently he also possessed in his orig world)
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Xavon wrote:
Quote:

No Game No Life
Log Horizon

theres also Rudeus Greyrat of Mushoku Tensei and Tomokui Kanata aka Goblin-Rou of re:Monster.
In the case of the first he used his (high school?) knowledge of weather to create a self-generating tornado opposed to one that needed to be sustained through magic.
the latter used his life experience from his original world to go from well a goblin to practically demigod status though i suppose thats mostly because of his broken ability (which apparently he also possessed in his orig world)

GobuRou doesn't use anything from 'modern life'; he has a super power.

Rudy I considered, along with Naofumi the Shield Hero, but both Rudy's use of modern physics to improve his magic, and Naofumi's use of supply and demand as a merchant are more occasional and less central to their respective plots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2