• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Simulcast shows properly or GTFO

I still don't understand this mentality. I don't subscribe to every single streaming service out there, so there are a lot of shows that I wait to watch until they come out on Bluray. You'd rather not watch the show than wait a season?

Additionaly, I don't have time in my schedule to watch US TV shows when they air, so even if a show airs on basic cable, if I want to watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy or Riverdale I usually need to wait until the next season begins airing on TV for Netflix to make it available. Netflix has a way better air-date-to-streaming-date turnaround for anime than almost any of their other content. At least they are trying to accomidate the blisteringly fast turnaround that anime fans seem to take for granted.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
30 more Neo Yokios. I hope my body can take it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I work in New York and I've seen printed advertisements for Neo Yokio and other netflix original shows around. Yet none for any of the exclusive anime titles that are under the "Netflix Original" branding, and I'm fairly confident that I'll be pretty sure I won't see any such ads any time soon, and that kinda bugs me.

Yeah, their track record with advertising their anime stuff is abysmal. Every month, CNN runs an article listing all of the new stuff that's going to come out on Netflix / Hulu / etc. that month. There's never ANY anime on it, and I can't help but blame Netflix for not pushing it harder.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
I will continue to do my part by not subscribing to Netflix. Especially if they're gonna be manipulative about it. the proper term is Netflix "EXCLUSIVE." My red light went off when they claimed Sidonia was a Netflix Original. You mean the show clearly based on the manga of the same name that they did not have any part in writing? They can just elbow in some money and then claim it was their 'original' idea.

By the way, this article is now a Forum Original, since we slid in at some point and contributed. Is this how it works?

As to the Action heavy nature, yeah, that's a bit distressing. Already I get images of all the anime revolution over here where it was COOL because of SEX AND VIOLENCE. There were so many anime that weren't like that, and the foreign community barely knows they exist - despite how important they were to the art. To some people there haven't even been sports anime until a few years ago.

This whole situation stinks.

As to getting 'more' anime, the problem is I have way too much new stuff to watch already, and the fandom for anime is being fractured as its nearly impossible to watch all of the good shows. We're losing a common canon of trusted classics.

BAAaah, I can't find much to be happy about with this announcement.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company aims for 50% original content in its entire library by the end of 2018.

That statement really needs some clarification, because as it reads, it's saying Netflix is looking to have only 60 titles on the service by the end of next year. That can't be right. And since it can't be right, I'm left wondering what they're actually intending.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The company aims for 50% original content in its entire library by the end of 2018.

That statement really needs some clarification, because as it reads, it's saying Netflix is looking to have only 60 titles on the service by the end of next year. That can't be right. And since it can't be right, I'm left wondering what they're actually intending.

Netflix is aiming for 50% original content in its "entire library" — not just the new 2018 titles, and not just the anime titles.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting but it sounds like they want to move away from licenses and make there own content. So basically they would not be in competition with CR/Funi anymore or at least to a lesser extent then they are now.
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
If they would just simulcast them everywhere I would be happy.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
This helps address recent concerns that too many anime are being produced, albeit by the crude means of simply placing a large number beyond the concerns of many. Paywalls could well become today's equivalent of DVD singles...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
Netflix is at least easily affordable for most people and it has more mainstream accessibility for casual audiences than Anime Strike. As long as these shows eventually get home video releases (I still don't know why the Voltron reboot hasn't been released on BD yet), I'm fine with this. Crunchyroll still has plenty of hot properties but Netflix will do a lot more to introduce newcomers to anime than Crunchyroll is able to.
Nekki Basara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
you seem to be under two misconceptions the first that your tastes are some how superior and the second being that there is only fan service shows airing. I assume you can read since you wrote that post so maybe you should head over to https://myanimelist.net/anime/season and look at what is airing.

There is good anime, bad anime, bad quality anime, good quality anime, ambitious anime,etc, as there is good music and now we have plastic garbage auto tune singers, just as there are average x sport players and top players, that is the reality,if you accept it or not that is another thing entirely.

You are under the wrong assumption that just because we have some exceptions and we have one piece, dragon ball super, kids shows, Pokemon, the Japanese market its not contaminated and its healty, its NOT.

Anime like the one that Netflix is aiming to make or license exclusively its extremely rare in the Japanese market since a decade ago, why? Because that market is so busy to cater to the hardcore otaku fantasies of waifus and the like, why make a series like baki or risk it with originals when you have bigger possibilities for money by easily pandering to the moe otaku and fujoshi, you can get lucky and sell a ton of discs, release a lot of figures, events etc.

And when a studio wants to make something different it can get easily contaminated because committees demand that the show still panders to moe otaku primarily, one example of many? The shameful macross delta. Even Macross Frontier was contaminaked in the form of ranka lee as protagonist for starters and the recent delta was beyond shameful.

Just a couple weeks back I was in the Kyoto international anime fair and I found it extremely discouraging that all there was there was a shameful market for moe otaku and fujoshi, totally pointless fair if you are not a moe otaku or fujoshi wanting to purchase merchandise. I felt like I was totally wasting my time there and realizing I was stupidly naive to think that this was gonna be a more captivating and inspiring event, in fact I left early totally disappointed and having wasted 1300 yen to enter a glorified moe/fujoshi market.

Now tell me again this kind of anime does not rule the Japanese market and has caused a serious stagnation, Japanese hardcore otaku are limitless gluttons.

Now I doubt Netflix will go out of the way to ask for modifications and inclusion to specifically and artificially pander to the Japanese otaku, so I see a great opportunity to reinvigorate anime again.

But I see a win win situation, the lot of you moe fanservice and fujoshi otaku can keep getting your fix while another player enters the game with a more international aim and diversity in productions. Just like we had before 2006-2007.

Last edited by Nekki Basara on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
And yet neither Netflix nor Amazon has managed to get streaming rights for Eva.

Is it not just price? Have Gainax and Khara tangled themselves into a Macross-esque legal snarl?
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Nekki Basara wrote:

There is good anime, bad anime, bad quality anime, good quality anime, ambitious anime,etc, as there is good music and now we have plastic garbage auto tune singers, just as there are average x sport players and top players, that is the reality,if you accept it or not that is another thing entirely.

You are under the wrong assumption that just because we have some exceptions and we have one piece, dragon ball super, kids shows, Pokemon, the Japanese market its not contaminated and its healty, its NOT.

Anime like the one that Netflix is aiming to make or license exclusively its extremely rare in the Japanese market since a decade ago, why? Because that market is so busy to cater to the hardcore otaku fantasies of waifus and the like, why make a series like baki or risk it with originals when you have bigger possibilities for money by easily pandering to the moe otaku and fujoshi, you can get lucky and sell a ton of discs, release a lot of figures, events etc.

And when a studio wants to make something different it can get easily contaminated because committees demand that the show still panders to moe otaku primarily, one example of many? The shameful macross delta. Even Macross Frontier was contaminaked in the form of ranka lee as protagonist for starters and the recent delta was beyond shameful.

Just a couple weeks back I was in the Kyoto international anime fair and I found it extremely discouraging that all there was there was a shameful market for moe otaku and fujoshi, totally pointless fair if you are not a moe otaku or fujoshi wanting to purchase merchandise. I felt like I was totally wasting my time there and realizing I was stupidly positive that this was gonna be a more captivating and inspiring event, in fact I left early totally disappointed.

Now tell me again this kind of anime does not rule the Japanese market and has caused a serious stagnation, Japanese hardcore otaku are limitless gluttons.

Now I doubt Netflix will go out of the way to ask for modifications and inclusion to specifically and artificially pander to the Japanese otaku, so I see a great opportunity to reinvigorate anime again.

But I see a win win situation, the lot of you moe fanservice and fujoshi otaku can keep getting your fix while another player enters the game with a more international aim and diversity in productions. Just like we had before 2006-2007.
Being good at sports is a quantifiable fact as there are statistics based on performance. And while you could say an anime was successful based off sales (which we don't have access to) that is different from taste. There is no such thing as superior taste with anime since that is based off personal preferences which is highly subjective. What I consider good you may consider bad but neither of us are right. Also I see ~5 fanservice shows this fall so I really don't know what your talking about.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
And yet neither Netflix nor Amazon has managed to get streaming rights for Eva.

Is it not just price? Have Gainax and Khara tangled themselves into a Macross-esque legal snarl?
I'm not an expert but I think the big issue with Eva isn't that it's just expensive but that it's old and it can be hard to get anime fans to invest in anime that's older than five years at this point. Most of the anime fans who would have an interest in watching/owning Eva probably already do but it's frankly kind of too old for most everyone else at this point. Streaming companies like Netflix and Amazon are more interested in snagging what's hot and new and will make them the most money than going after fan favorites for old timer otaku.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Nekki Basara wrote:

I don't think you actually follow anime if you think we don't see original works. Your only gush is Baki, but how is that different than other modern adaptions of older manga like Jojo, Berserk, and HxH? Nothing in this article looks atypical from what we see every season already.

America and Japan's tastes arent that different, I hate to break it to you. Most popular stuff here last year was Re;Zero, Yuri on Ice, and Izetta.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8