• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ushio & Tora

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

Really you have to be careful when you are re-adapting and redoing old 90s OVAs and not end up like either that Guyver one or even worse Babel II: Beyond Infinity which both make the OVAs look like masterworks in anime by comparison.

I found it interesting that though "a somewhat forgotten shounen manga from the early '90s" was referred to that no reference to the original OAV of this show was mentioned in this review.

I, also, would love to know how the new series stacks up against the original. Sounds like it might be better, but I am shy of investment in longer shows.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

Really you have to be careful when you are re-adapting and redoing old 90s OVAs and not end up like either that Guyver one or even worse Babel II: Beyond Infinity which both make the OVAs look like masterworks in anime by comparison.

I found it interesting that though "a somewhat forgotten shounen manga from the early '90s" was referred to that no reference to the original OAV of this show was mentioned in this review.

I, also, would love to know how the new series stacks up against the original. Sounds like it might be better, but I am shy of investment in longer shows.

This version is a lot better than the OVA. I own both and while the OVA has it's charms this is the definitive version - not to mention complete.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

This version is a lot better than the OVA. I own both and while the OVA has it's charms this is the definitive version - not to mention complete.

I have gotten rather use to the voices of the OVA version in the Japanese version though I'll get over it. Though what is weird is having Norio Wakamoto voicing Hyou in the OVA version and then in the 2016 TV series having him voice spoiler[the demon that killed Hyou's family.] And he really is actually pretty good in the original OVA version, not quite so as campy over the top as he is in the 2016 series.

Now comparing this to that Guyver Show that they tried to do in the early 00s where it really felt like they had sanitized it to an extreme compared to even the OVA. Also didn't like the animation style that much in the show.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I do find it pretty funny that Ushio has the same dub VA as Tomoya Okazaki who spoiler[has a daughter named Ushio ]
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Ushio & Tora Seemed like the perfect fit for me. 90's shounen anime style and energy, monster designs based on folklore and voice work by Megumi friggin' Hayshibara. Too bad that the character of Ushio made me drop it by the end of the 1st series.spoiler[Despite several indicators that he should improve (either in mysticism, yokai knowledge or spearhandeling) the blockheaded moron refuse right till the very end, even shrugging of the last arc with "nah, it didn't do my opponent any favours".] I get that not everyone has my love for training arcs, but when the main character refuses to improve on key character flaws for so long i seriously wonder why the cast or audience lets him get away with complicit murder Confused
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Azmodeus wrote:
spoiler[Despite several indicators that he should improve (either in mysticism, yokai knowledge or spearhandeling) the blockheaded moron refuse right till the very end, even shrugging of the last arc with "nah, it didn't do my opponent any favours".]

What show were you watching? Ushio improved constantly. He couldn't even summon the spear to him at first.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I have Ushio and Tora at the top my my list when I get around to buying it. I started watching it a few months back and the episode that I remembered was the whole "statues" in the school episode that was also in the OVA. I own the OVA. A late friend gave me hint to the ending only because he was connected to friends who collected the manga.

I'll also be getting this for the library collection as well, because we need more vintage anime stories and this is one of them that finally got a full visual completion. Now...if only we can get a 3x3 Eyes series. That's another long running series that deserves an anime as it has enough material from start to finish. That's another series I want to have the chance of seeing.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I have Ushio and Tora at the top my my list when I get around to buying it. I started watching it a few months back and the episode that I remembered was the whole "statues" in the school episode that was also in the OVA. I own the OVA. A late friend gave me hint to the ending only because he was connected to friends who collected the manga.

I'll also be getting this for the library collection as well, because we need more vintage anime stories and this is one of them that finally got a full visual completion. Now...if only we can get a 3x3 Eyes series. That's another long running series that deserves an anime as it has enough material from start to finish. That's another series I want to have the chance of seeing.

Come to think of it I wish Discotek or someone would re-release the old OVA series in a new DVD/Blu-Ray that includes the Pioneer Dub and the old Streamline Dub on one disc along with the Japanese audio, but that will probably not happen.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Come to think of it I wish Discotek or someone would re-release the old OVA series in a new DVD/Blu-Ray that includes the Pioneer Dub and the old Streamline Dub on one disc along with the Japanese audio, but that will probably not happen.

Maybe. Never lose hope. It was re-released twice. Remember the "Immortal's" ed and the later complete edition. Both by Geneon before they died. If anyone decided to revisit this and get it out for a BD release it will probably be Discotek. They wouldn't want it any other way. Also, Nuku Nuku as well as 'Blue Seed' also needs a re-release on BD as well.

ANN did an article awhile back in 2015 about the 3x3 Eyes project. So hopefully it will happen considering that news came out right during the time 'Ushio & Tora', was airing. Which was also in 2015. Will it still happen? We'll have to wait and see.
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

What show were you watching? Ushio improved constantly. He couldn't even summon the spear to him at first.

But never of his own accord. It was always circumstance that improved his connection with the spear. The one thing he did intentionally was too find out what happened to his mother. The rest is more or less the show throwing everything at him, which kinda makes him a pretty lazy protagonist in a genre where "i'm gonna train to take down the best!" is the norm.

And to be clear, i wouldn't mind this if the show itself didn't repeatedly present his lack of knowledge or training as crucial weaknesses, which it does from Episode 1 right until the last episode of season 1, where i dropped it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2