• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Banana Fish Anime Reveals Cast, More Staff, 1st Promo Video, Modern-Day Setting

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
I think this is the first time Noitamina airing 24 episodes anime since Psycho Pass.

KimiUso had 22 episodes, though. But yes, it's their first 2-cour show in ~4 years. Which also means that the announced Kabaneri project will most likely not be a TV show, unless Fuji decides to expand the noitaminA timeslot to a full hour again.
Or it could just come out in 2019 now.

I guess that's possible, but I think they wouldn't have announced it for 2018 in the first place because it's probably decided relatively early on what shows are going to air (a year in advance or more, I guess, at least based on previous announcements). But I could be wrong, of course.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
I've heard nothing but good things about the Manga so I'm happy this is adapting the entire story. Also love the fact that the series has a "hard-boiled supervisor." Also nice to see Unshō Ishizuka get work.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

US certainly hasn't had a shortage in the last 30 years.

Laughing
If it's the 2010s then perhaps they'll use a fictional place set in the Middle East or if they are bold, it will be Iraq after 2001.

Yeah I just realized that there were many moments when Ash and Eiji are on the run or early on when Ash's gang gets into trouble esp. "that" scene so if they have cellphones, then I'm curious how it will change things in the story. Shocked
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So, I was thinking some math on this, and going by their manga age, Ash is 17 and Eiji is 19. So assuming it takes place in 2018, they'll have been born in 1999 and 2001 Embarassed

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Yeah I just realized that there were many moments when Ash and Eiji are on the run or early on when Ash's gang gets into trouble esp. "that" scene so if they have cellphones, then I'm curious how it will change things in the story. Shocked

I had the exact same concern. Sure, if Ash has a cellphone, he can ditch it. If he's with a small group of people who trust them, he can also make sure they ditch them (and let's face it, Eiji will do whatever Ash says, so just the two of them won't be a problem). But what about with a really large group where not everyone likes him? How can he ensure they all ditch their cell phones? Especially spoiler[during the fight with Arthur, where he has no authority over Arthur's men]? There's just so many times where a simple GPS ping would completely screw him over. And where would you ditch them, that might also matter. But also, I recall manga Eiji had a camera, so he'd better be bringing a separate digital one and not using his phone to take pics (though if he wants to go pro at it, one can assume he has one)

I just feel like modern technology is almost like an excuse to pass around an idiot ball a few times, but let's hope I'll be proved wrong. And also, what about the computer joke scene?! Then again, if you've ever seen an old person try to use a computer, I guess it applies just as well in 2018 as it did in the 80s! Twisted Evil

With a series like Parasyte, I could see having cell phones and tablets not really changing much except that time someone used a pay phone (although the father had to toss in a throwaway line about losing his tablet and thus, needing a newspaper), but here, I think it's more important to the structure of the story and staying off the grid is important.

@64BitRatchet
I was hoping with Strike shutting down that that might change things, but apparently not.

Also, as someone who doesn't really use Amazon, I have no clue how popular their shows are. Though I guess everyone liked and watched Land of the Lustrous.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it's noticable that the show is going to be 2 cour from Noitamina, the first one they've done since around 2014.

Personally, I'm definitely looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I’m not going to prejudge it before I see it but, the choice of a modern day setting is somewhat difficult to understand. So much of Banana Fish grew out of notions of the 1980s and America with gangs, illicit drugs, ultra violence, and poverty along with high profile child abuse and murders creating hysteria. New York being one of the cities those abroad would point to about the US being debauched and wrong. Yet the US has always been somehow exciting at the same time which is why so many creators have traveled or been inspired to create narratives about it. While issues still exist it’s been decades since. Recently even a Japanese creator I’m aware of who has been working on a title with LGBT characters, gangs and corruption was worried about it feeling old fashioned and decided to place their story more in an alternate reality of the USA's large cities. I don’t feel the themes of Banana Fish are outdated; in fact some of them still seem incredibly appropriate for 2018. I just hope moving these characters and their story into now is not going to create some difficulty in suspension of disbelief. Or worse add to the current incorrect narratives and upset people who live in the large cities the original series depicted.

EDIT: So I read through the interview with Utsumi and Hayashi Comic Natalie did too. Apparently there were worries about the show being a hurdle for people not familiar with the comic if set in the 1980s. (Still not really understanding this since there are several current live-action films and movies I hear people rave about all the time set in the 80s.) Modern-day New York is also more familiar. Also talked a lot about clothes (which, now that I think about it we are fortunate to be spared). From the sounds of it they really worked on getting the character designs and expressions just right, how firearms are used etc.( I wonder if Ash may give off that River Phoenix vibe today or, like I see the joke already instead comparison to Yurio.)

After reading the interview I feel better and I’m am looking forward to it. So I suppose I will have to cave in to the great Amazon.

Last edited by katscradle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I've heard nothing but incredible things about this manga, but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. Really looking forward to this adaptation. (though Amazon Prime getting it makes me Mad )

wohdin wrote:
I'm a simple man. I see Hiroaki Hirata, I watch.

Same. Laughing His voice is so sexy.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll try not to keep my hopes up too high in fear of being disappointed but honestly, I haven't been this excited over an upcoming anime since YOI.

I've only read half of the manga so I'm curious to see how I will take to the anime's adaptation of the original material. TBH I could never really take the manga that seriously (the 80's aesthetic, mafia stories not being my thing, the Chinese characters in general). The manga seemed so of its time that I never thought that it would be made into an anime. But I am open to surprises and I am liking the look of feel of the trailer already. At the very least I hope it will be entertaining and attractive to look at.

...I am also so, so curious in how they're going to handle Ash and Eiji's relationship (which is the best aspect of the manga honestly). By today's standards their relationship can come off as pretty ambiguous so I wonder if they're gonna keep with that.[/i]
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
After reading the interview between the director Utsumi Hiroko and character designer Hayashi Akemi on natalie.mu, all I can say is, "Yikes!"

That was a remarkably tone-deaf way to talk about a series if you want to make it seem like you care about doing right by it. I'm not as upset about the change in time period as Japanese twitter seems to be, but I can certainly understand the fear they have when the change appears to be made more so the characters can act as modern fashion templates and do "cool" things like use smartphones. (I'm also not sure I would have admitted so breezily that I'd never heard of the series before being tapped to direct it, but that's probably a little unfair on my part.)

Honestly, the best way I can describe it is like reading an interview between people that thought a series had less hardcore fans than it did, and frankly, didn't want to go to the trouble of researching the 80s.

Sort of like a scenario where there's an interview where a director acts startled about how "good" a series of books from the 50s were, but they feel like they won't be successful as movies unless they have a steampunk vibe so they've updated the setting, and then laughingly admitting when the producer first asked them about it, they replied, "Lord of the Rings, does that have anything to do with Lord of the Dance?"

Would you feel excited about that director's Lord of the Rings trilogy?
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
I can see where the cause for concern comes from then. I was also weirded out when the director casually mentions that when first approached to adapt it she thought Banana Fish was a sweet Confused

Like why would you include that? I just hope the rest of the staff will give a damn enough that it turns out something at least enjoyable. But we all know series that has a lot of work put into it but is undermined by the writing/directing *ahem* Welcome to the Ballroom.

I sound like I have no faith in this project but just call me cautiously optimistic? I don't know we'll see.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
didn't want to go to the trouble of researching the 80s.
If that is true, that is very lazy, because other Anime have been able to capture a specific time frame from a foreign country before, Baccano had a lot of research into getting 20s and 30s New York right. And Emma Victorian Romance researched Victorian London, and got a perfect representation. I do not even think much research would be needed, as the series seems more a depiction of 80s pop culture than real life during that time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2