• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: FLCL Alternative

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, fudge Pets. Mossan literally overworked (and over ate) herself to exhaustion, should Kana just do one nothing. If she had all this stuff to say, she should have said it sooner, and come to think of it, last week Pets and the other two butted in on Kana's by trying to force her to confess. So she's a hypocrite, too.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I've found the best comparison for these three seasons:

FLCL is Coke, Alternative is Pepsi, and Progressive is La Croix. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Pets's home situation with spoiler[her mother] was pretty intense when it came up, and it does make me feel sorry for spoiler[the poor woman]. And of course the big bomb drop moment of Episode 5 was spoiler[Pets calling Kana annoying and letting her have it in regards to everything up to now].
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of still not sure how I feel about this show. Like, I'm certainly enjoying it and I want to see what happens, but it's so wildly different from the other two and has so many things left up in the air that I think I need to see the finale to get a proper read on it.

I feel like I probably enjoyed Progressive more just because it was more what I expected out of FLCL, but I am liking what a change of pace this has been. Though this episode did kind of torpedo Pets probably being my favorite new character from Alternative going into it. Probably give the nod to Hijiri now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Man, fudge Pets. Mossan literally overworked (and over ate) herself to exhaustion, should Kana just do one nothing. If she had all this stuff to say, she should have said it sooner, and come to think of it, last week Pets and the other two butted in on Kana's by trying to force her to confess. So she's a hypocrite, too.

Pets is probably pushing Kana away to lessen the emotional blow knowing they would be separated.

belvadeer wrote:

Pets's home situation with spoiler[her mother] was pretty intense when it came up, and it does make me feel sorry for spoiler[the poor woman].

And that was Ash's mom. Wink
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can already tell the ending is going to be something people are going to be debating for years to come.

spoiler[Personally I'm leaning toward interpreting it as Haruko having been sent to an alternate universe and Alternative actually being a prequel to the other two but I can see a LOT of different ways to read that.]

On the whole, yeah. I'd say I liked Progressive more but Alternative is still pretty good. Neither's nearly up to the level of the original but I think they're both acceptable followups.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
It’s definitely an alternative, but it isn’t exactly good or even necessary at the end of the day. Just watch the original.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
I watched Alternative and Progressive in theaters in Japan, where they were presented in that order. I really think I got the superior viewing experience; I walked out of Alternative feeling like I'd just seen a pretty good slice-of-life set in the FLCL universe, with a predictably lackluster ending, but was highly enthused by Progressive's much weirder vibe and more satisfying conclusion. Watched in that order, the two sequels just work thematically, somehow, as if you're first expanding your universe and then watching it collapse in upon itself into a single youthful kiss.

I have no idea why American distributors felt compelled to be slaves to pure chronology in their broadcast of the series, especially given that it's not entirely clear that the two shows inhabit exactly the same timeline...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I honestly felt a little confused at the ending. Did Kana and everyone end up living on Mars thanks to her massive N.O. teleportation power burst? Or, as the title of this FLCL suggests, did she create an alternate timeline of sorts?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s definitely an alternative, but it isn’t exactly good or even necessary at the end of the day. Just watch the original.

I don't want to I've watched it 7 times already and even read the weird manga adaptation Razz
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I honestly felt a little confused at the ending. Did Kana and everyone end up living on Mars thanks to her massive N.O. teleportation power burst? Or, as the title of this FLCL suggests, did she create an alternate timeline of sorts?

As with all FLCL its open to interpretation, I was disappointed that after she said she hated bad endings we got a mostly bad ending (ok Kana had a happy ending but the rest of the Earth was destroyed and Haruko was lost). As to Haruko my reading was she saw the multiverse and then vanished.

Thematically I agree that Progressive following Alternative is a better ending, though there are dialog and prop references in Alternative that establishes it follows the other two rather than precedes them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
As with all FLCL its open to interpretation, I was disappointed that after she said she hated bad endings we got a mostly bad ending (ok Kana had a happy ending but the rest of the Earth was destroyed and Haruko was lost). As to Haruko my reading was she saw the multiverse and then vanished.

During the ending credits, Haruko and her now signature Vespa appear in some Grand Canyon-esque place though. Perhaps she's been sent to an alternate Earth, though it's hard to say.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
FLCL Alt was an okay slice-of-life version of FLCL, but as a sequel to the original it falls flat. I was hoping these stories would've gotten more into the Lore. But instead in Alt, Haruko was just there acting as Obi-Wan. (On a personal note, I was expecting government guy being an older version of Commander Eyebrows of the original. How disappointing.) That ending, guess they wanted to end with a WTF Moment.

All in all, Alt and Pro were okay as standalone series, but I rather stick to the original.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yeah but like, what sequel is necessary, really? 99% of sequels, anime or otherwise, are worse than the originals.

Maybe this is just because I'm a heathen who honestly finds the original FLCL to be Just Okay, but my hot take is that neither of these sequel shows were ever going to be regarded as well as the original. The original FLCL is a legend in both a positive and negative sense. It's very good, which made it a legend, but like all legends, it now sets a mythic, nigh-impossible standard for people/creators to live up to. If somehow every single animator, writer, and actor involved in the original project were gathered to make a sequel, I feel like it'd still be called inferior. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice, but I don't think it's a sin to try. Alternative isn't perfect but it was never going to be.

I didn't like the end but ultimately I feel like the journey is more important than the destination, and I sure liked 5.5 of the episodes of this show. I've definitely watched worse shows with weird endings.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I like Alternative more than Progressive. Progressive was trying too hard to ape the original but failed miserably, while Alternative just sort of did its own thing and succeeded at it, though not in the same league as the original. It helps the characters were actually likable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3