• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Replacement Re:Zero Blu-ray Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If anime fans in Japan reverse import because they can't afford those high end Japanese premium prices for every anime show, maybe Japan should rethink their business model instead of punishing American fans for the actions of Japanese customers. Although I often feel like American companies use the "blame Japan" argument as an excuse for their own bad encoding.

A Japanese is going to do what a Japanese...

In other words, don't expect other people to change their behavior to make YOU happy.
It's just not going to happen.

The Japanese home video industry is different from the US.
They price to sell what they can because A) the home video market in Japan isn't THAT big and Japanese people don't have the disposable income they have elsewhere in many places like the US because of cost of living (food is the big expense but so is rent); and B) they'd like to try to break even and make some profit by pricing at what they know the domestic fan market/collectors can bear! Hence why the $45-$60 average prices for most new releases that aren't re-issues or boxset editions.
Those are $45-$60 discs for MAYBE 4 episodes of a new show, NOT the $65 (usually $35-$45 online) people pay in the US for HALF-seasons of most TV shows.

They also occasionally do budget releases of popular films but even those are usually at least $35.

The anime companies don't earn THAT much money from the licensing. It's a pittance compared to the licensing for American shows and movies I'm sure. If they got more money from selling Aniplex LE sets here, I'm sure they'd be thrilled but they know those sets don't sell that well and they're limited edition for a reason -- they're more expensive to manufacture and ship with with things like soundtracks which on their own cost $30-$45 a disc in Japan! It takes years for a lot of that inventory to sell out but they do it here because they know there are Americans who will buy this stuff. We're the top market for anime outside of Japan and we're the nuts who still buy more on home video than anyone else but even most of the US anime releases today STRUGGLE to sell much about 1500 copies. 3000 copies is probably closer to the average now and, yes, that includes typical Funi releases! And those Aniplex deluxe releases are still generally much cheaper than the Japanese releases, too.

As far as punishing us goes, do you really think they're thinking about PUNISHING you in particular? Are you THAT self-centered and paranoid about companies located halfway around the world? Do you know how you come off to most fans that have been in this hobby for over 10 years let alone the 20-year and older veterans?!?
Again, these companies are NOT gonna change their business tactics because of a few whiny fans online. By now, companies have learned that the complaints of a few people on social media do NOT constitute an entire fanbase! They care about the people who actually SPEND money on this stuff than people who just complain but don't buy anything! A BUNCH of fans who DON'T buy the video releases, on the other hand, CAN make a difference like Toei, NISA, Pony Canyon, and a few other Japanese companies found out when they dipped their toes into domestic US home video distribution and sales. Half those companies failed because they produced INFERIOR (bad subs, bad video masters) on top of trying to sell TV series and movies that just weren't that popular in the US market.

Aniplex is making it much to many people's dismay because they sell shows enough people want to buy NOW that are actually popular unlike most of the $45 bookshelf, subtitled series NISA tried to sell.
They're NOT going away because you want to bitch about their pricing tactics. So you don't like it, FINE, but you're not going to convince other people who WANT their collector's sets by bitching at those fans!
quabojones22

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
So if I buy from Amazon, which release will I get? The new one or the defective?
AnonBaiter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation also said that its release of second half of the Re:Zero anime, scheduled for Tuesday, does not have the same issues as the first release. However, the set's trailer does appear to have color banding.

April Fools' Day isn't for another two months. Come on guys. Of course you're going to see banding, compression artifacts and major detail loss through a lossy format. We all know YouTube compression is terrible. Any anime that gets uploaded there will have banding and artifacting, no matter what the source was like. You might as well be comparing PNG images versus JPEG ones that are one-tenth of the size.

As other have said, Funimation's claim is false. While the amount is reduced, part 2 still has a very large amount of banding compared to the Japanese Blu-Ray.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm Reply with quote
"Funimation updated its post to clarify that it is not funding the shipping of returns"

Did we expect any less? Laughing

You know between this kind of crap and them firing that VA for lame reasons, Funimation no longer has my support. I take back all the times I tried to defend them & won't buy their products anymore. Screw them.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
"Funimation updated its post to clarify that it is not funding the shipping of returns"

Did we expect any less? Laughing

You know between this kind of crap and them firing that VA for lame reasons, Funimation no longer has my support. I take back all the times I tried to defend them & won't buy their products anymore. Screw them.

Also, some of their recent release has small problems that could've been 100% avoided. I'm sure there's more examples out there, but here's a few off the top of my head.

Speed Racer: cutting off/trimming the beginning & ending of each scene to keep the audio in sync.
Outlaw Star: Trimmed 1 second off of the English audio in Ep 2's prologue.
Tsugumomo: FUNimation lying about the home video release being uncensored.
Re:Zero PT-2: Video still has Banding issues due to poor bitrate.
Hellsing (TV) (Streaming): FUNimation can't de-interlace the video properly.

That's why I continue to "sail the seven seas".
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
Sure are some bitter people here.

Got my reply email from Funi today. Only took 6 days. See below:

Hello MacAttack270,

Thank you for contacting Funimation Support. We appreciate your business.

We apologize for the production error with the Re:Zero discs. Your return authorization number is #----. Please mail the defective discs, as well as the above return authorization number, to the following address:

Mainfreight
Ref #----
Funi Street Address
Funi City State Address

Please pack your existing Blu-ray discs for Part 1 with paper or plastic disc sleeves and send them as your proof of purchase. You do not need to mail them in a disc case.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank You!
Funi Support Person

Funimation Support
Heartfilia1286

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I was wondering if anyone else that has sent in their discs to get replacements have got their replacements? I believe it's been over a month since I sent my discs in to get the replacements and haven't seen them in the mail or anything.....

I emailed funimation twice about this and I have not got a reply at all.....so like how long does it take to get the replacement discs?????
Kippy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Heartfilia1286 wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone else that has sent in their discs to get replacements have got their replacements? I believe it's been over a month since I sent my discs in to get the replacements and haven't seen them in the mail or anything.....

I emailed funimation twice about this and I have not got a reply at all.....so like how long does it take to get the replacement discs?????

Funimation recieved my faulty discs on March 4th; my replacement discs arrived on May 10th.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quote
I allegedly got my replacement discs, too.
I have the envelope but I haven't looked at them yet...
It's been about a week, 10 days since I got them. Or was that two weeks?
Anyway, I got them this past month.
neon612

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
For those of you who have sent in the discs for replacement, about how long did it take to receive the new discs.
I sent mine in somewhere around the middle of June, and have not had any response from Funimation yet... 6+ months later!!!

I have tried sending emails, inquiring about what is going on and haven't had any response to those emails either.

I may just have to eat the cost and buy another set of, hopefully, the corrected discs.

Has anyone else had this kind of bad luck when it comes to working with Funimation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2