• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Stats: The Most Globally Streamed Anime for May 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
How is One Piece on the UK top ten? It's not available in the region.

Thanks for Validating me not paying a single penny to them.... Sorry if you region lock in 2019 I ain't paying for half a product.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
When I was paying for Crunchyroll it didn't seem worth it since so few simulcasts were available in the Philippines and videos would buffer constantly (not a problem with Netflix), so I'm surprised to see the Philippines in the top three for views per user.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:
As popular as Hunter x Hunter is, I'm still surprised it beat currently airing Shonen shows like My Hero and One Piece. Not that I'm complaining. Glad to see people are watching Mob.

It's in alphabetical order. We have no idea what is on the top of these lists (other than speculation).

Well I'm dumb.

Don't feel bad, it was in small print and I almost didn't notice too. Sometimes I speed read articles and it's late here. We're only human.

I am watching:

-Sarazanmai
-Demon Slayer
-Rising of the Shield Hero
-Hitoribocchi
-Attack on Titan (S2. I'm so behind it isn't even funny.)
-We Never Learn
-That Time I Got Reincarnated By A Slime (Also behind.)
-Promised Neverland (Also behind...)
-Dororo (So depressingly behind.)
-Helpful Fox Senko-san

That's in order per my enjoyment, I guess. It can change episode to episode though. I have trouble with some darker subject matter like Dororo or Demon Slayer. I'll watch a few episodes of something serious, switch to a comedy for a few episodes, and back again. The anime version of the compliment sandwich.

Edit: Spelling. I also haven't watched a single episode of Mob yet. Please don't pelt me with stones.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
consignia wrote:
How is One Piece on the UK top ten? It's not available in the region.

Thanks for Validating me not paying a single penny to them.... Sorry if you region lock in 2019 I ain't paying for half a product.

They are obligated to use region locking by the licensors of the titles. If the contract only lists specific countries and languages, that is what they have to work with. They don't have a say in it.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Sorry if you region lock in 2019 I ain't paying for half a product.

That's a roundabout way of saying "I don't pay for any streaming services". They literally all have to do region locking on at least some content.
Artanis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see my all-time favourite Hunter x Hunter in all lists! Very Happy
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
What country is the readerbase for Anime news network?

Movig on ->

I find it strange that, although there is a list of the top 10 views p/user countries, Crunchyroll doesn't bother to make special list for those countries like they do for the US, South America, Russia, ect.

If those 10 countries show the most engaged viewers, shouln't Crunchyroll be doing more to appreciate them? And what, in terms of the global streaming market, does America mean to Crunchyroll?

This is a claim I make without any proof, but is America the country with the most individual subscribers but least engaged because it's the country with the most wannabee Luffy's? Even though it's the country with the most legally available content why does it not have a more engaged viewer rate? I am sure for every 1 anime Uruguay has, America has 10 or even 20 anime.

So I guess I'm just annoyed that the country with the most content doesn't view the content the most, content other countries would love to have. America is wierd. Get your ducks in a row.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:39 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Speaking as a non-US anime fan, Fruits Basket was licensed only in the USA, never in Latin America.

Not in Latin America is correct, but "only in the USA" certainly is not. Per animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-02/crunchyroll-adds-new-fruits-basket-anime/.145320
Quote:
The series will debut on Friday in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

I am very happy about that, because I live in the Netherlands!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:41 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
Even though it's the country with the most legally available content why does it not have a more engaged viewer rate? I am sure for every 1 anime Uruguay has, America has 10 or even 20 anime.

So I guess I'm just annoyed that the country with the most content doesn't view the content the most, content other countries would love to have.

There's not enough data to really draw any conclusions. The US may have 300,000 subscribers, some of who watch 5 hours a day, many more who only watch half an hour a day, or a couple of hours a week. Uruguay may have 1000 subscribers who all watch 4 hours a day. We don't know. But the larger, and presumably more economically diverse viewership in the US likely dilutes its average hours per day.

USians may (I don't know) also have, on the whole, more disposable income to put toward subscribing, so you have more casual viewers than if subscribing is a "gotta have this over other things I could spend my limited funds on" thing.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
Sorry if you region lock in 2019 I ain't paying for half a product.

That's a roundabout way of saying "I don't pay for any streaming services". They literally all have to do region locking on at least some content.

Well I do pay for Prime also in a way the BBC's iPlayer so not totally correct.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

Well I do pay for Prime also in a way the BBC's iPlayer so not totally correct.

It also means you pay for two services that region lock. One of them just so happens to do so in your favor.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
What country is the readerbase for Anime news network?

Movig on ->

I find it strange that, although there is a list of the top 10 views p/user countries, Crunchyroll doesn't bother to make special list for those countries like they do for the US, South America, Russia, ect.

If those 10 countries show the most engaged viewers, shouln't Crunchyroll be doing more to appreciate them? And what, in terms of the global streaming market, does America mean to Crunchyroll?

This is a claim I make without any proof, but is America the country with the most individual subscribers but least engaged because it's the country with the most wannabee Luffy's? Even though it's the country with the most legally available content why does it not have a more engaged viewer rate? I am sure for every 1 anime Uruguay has, America has 10 or even 20 anime.

So I guess I'm just annoyed that the country with the most content doesn't view the content the most, content other countries would love to have. America is wierd. Get your ducks in a row.

There are a lot of cultural and economic things to consider for starters, that would affect how much people in different countries watch, and whether or not any of these numbers are actually statistically valuable for purposes of marketing. Also, the simple answer to your last question is obviously that the sheer quantity of available content in the US means that CR users in the US are likely also spending a significant portion of their streaming time on other platforms.
And lastly, depending on whether or not they include Central America in their South America list at the bottom, they either include a few, or several, countries that are on the Top 10 Most Engaged Countries list.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
How is this calculated? I know a while back they put out some numbers but then they explained it and it was like "most watched show of the season" was calculated by how many people watched the first episode as opposed to some tally of total show views... so really "most watched debut" but totally not "most watched show".

Is engagement measured as like how many people watched episode 5 or something goofy like that?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Meh. It’d be a lot more interesting and compelling reading if they actually had them ranked by number of views and not alphabetical order. But anime licensors are so secretive about this stuff for some reason.

Well, they always the ranking of "popular" in their site/app which presumably order shows by their current level of popularity. Presumably, that ranking gives more information than this ranking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xasli#879653

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is good to see that the Re:Zero anime is still doing great though I think the Bleach anime deserves an award for making the top 20 list more than 7 years after it ended. The Bleach manga spoiler[was popular since it was a good fantasy adventure story but the popularity meant that the manga continued years longer than it should have.]

It continued far longer for a good reason
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2