• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Motion to Recover Attorney's Fees for Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
So where are all the people who kept insisting Vic's case was a slam dunk and that his lawyer was a genius who was gonna demolish the "slander" against his client?

Where y'all at? Laughing

They are still acting like Ty and Nick have an appeal that will succeed. Nick is promising his audience of saps, that Vic will file an appeal in the next week or so after Chupp decides the amount. If that is true, expect the next round of fees and sanctions to double what has been presented here.

yurigasaki wrote:
when you play clown games, you really do win clown prizes, huh :^)

get 'im, funimation

Its almost like Vic won a bag filled with negative money.

residentgrigo wrote:
The update is a bit confusing. What´s the roundabout total now?

No one persecuted Vic for being Christian, in a Christian country, in TEXAS. I wouldn´t be surprised if everyone in the court who had to testify swore on a bible. No one cares that Harvey Weinstein is Jewish either. The nonsensical whataboutisms on display are skull-splitting.

Attorney Fees + Court Costs (fees for transcripts, other court services) is around $775k

Sanctions recommended have been low balled at 175k. While the judge might drop down the amount in sanctions, nothing I've read suggests there is any leeway on the attorney fees.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
HA. HA.

This is what you get, jackass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
catbot158 wrote:
I'm not sure if this will make Mignogna go bankrupt, but this will surely hurt his wallet for a long time. Do you think he'll try to raise the money via crowdfunding?

Yes, and due to all the anti-Christian rhetoric surrounding this case on social media a crowdfunding campaign would likely do well. It was a mistake for Vic to try a defamation case in the United States since the odds were stacked against him but it is curious to see the same people that complain about hateful comments on social media turn around and defend free speech but only with this specific case.

Yes, "anti-Christian" is definitely a thing that the judicial system of the state of Texas is well-known to be. As a Texas resident, I can confirm that, Christians are such a persecuted minority here. /s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Sanctions recommended have been low balled at 175k. While the judge might drop down the amount in sanctions, nothing I've read suggests there is any leeway on the attorney fees.

There's some leeway in attorney fees, and apparently it's par for the course for judges to trim them out of habit.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

There's some leeway in attorney fees, and apparently it's par for the course for judges to trim them out of habit.

Its entirely possible the final amount won't be 900k.

But consider that Vic did not even use his own money, and every single filing by each defendant has raised that point I bolded, the GFM is going to be a big deciding factor as to how big the sanctions are. The other thing is that unlike a lot of people who sue for defamation, rarely is the internet used to deploy a legion of trolls to harass defendants. Nick's connection to Vic in all this is pretty dang iron clad, and Vic's silence on the matter will make a compelling argument to the judge as to why Vic should be fined over and above 250k.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When this is all over, though, I think we need to focus on healing. That means being kinder to one another. That means supporting victims. That means making conventions places not just where everyone feels safe, but where people feel empowered to speak up and be believed. We can’t make what happened to all these people un-happen but we can do right by them.

Tell that to the people who continue to harass and verbally abuse Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi to this day. They're the ones who especially need it, yet whenever they're announced as being in any new anime at all, people get all up in arms and try to boycott the show just because they're in it. It's getting ridiculous. They deserve so much better than this, and the fact that they're still getting crapped on by people in spite of this case going to shit for Vic is just disgusting to me.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Its almost like Vic won a bag filled with negative money.

I love this ^.

Man if this dude makes an appeal he's gonna be so broke they'll stick his photo in the dictionary as the definition of broke
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Skimming through Rial and Toye's motion, I am once again stricken with what I mentioned in the previous thread: Vic's complete silence. It's mentioned numerous times through the motion, refering to how he allowed Rekieta and Beard to rile up the masses and push harrassment campaigns against the defendants and every person involved in bringing Vic's gross behavior to light. Again, Vic's complete dettachment from this whole process -ad evident not only in his silence about it, but how completely uninterested and uninformed he seeme about it in his depo- strikes me as odd at best, quite telling about his intentions at worst. Because it's quite odd to seem so unpreocupied about something that's at this point almost definitely running him to bankruptcy, but also makes me wonder if he just gave Nick and Ty complete freedom to do whatever they wanted so long as it made the defendants' lives awful.

I don't care about "Vic's side" of this story, but I can't say I'm not curious about what he thinks of the dismissal of the case and the amount of money this is gonna cost him and how incompetently his lawyers have handled every single step of an already unwinnable case
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
When this is all over, though, I think we need to focus on healing. That means being kinder to one another. That means supporting victims. That means making conventions places not just where everyone feels safe, but where people feel empowered to speak up and be believed. We can’t make what happened to all these people un-happen but we can do right by them.

Tell that to the people who continue to harass and verbally abuse Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi to this day. They're the ones who especially need it, yet whenever they're announced as being in any new anime at all, people get all up in arms and try to boycott the show just because they're in it. It's getting ridiculous. They deserve so much better than this, and the fact that they're still getting crapped on by people in spite of this case going to shit for Vic is just disgusting to me.

I don't think we should focus on the trolls. I don't think we should engage them. We should all focus just on what we can control.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Good. Screw him. He’s a predator. And not even that good a voice actor.

Seconded; he had his chance to do the right thing a long time ago and he blew it. He's done, it's over, all he has now are convention appearances that will rapidly dwindle.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

I don't think we should focus on the trolls. I don't think we should engage them. We should all focus just on what we can control.

Yeah that's a lot easier to do when your social media and public profile isn't being bombarded with death threats. These aren't "Trolls" in the sens that they're random individuals flinging mud for the heck of it. These are organized masses being steered by Vic's lawyer and Vic's "close friend" making it their day job to constantly rile up anger with lies, mistruths, and conspiracy theories.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Yeah that's a lot easier to do when your social media and public profile isn't being bombarded with death threats. These aren't "Trolls" in the sens that they're random individuals flinging mud for the heck of it. These are organized masses being steered by Vic's lawyer and Vic's "close friend" making it their day job to constantly rile up anger with lies, mistruths, and conspiracy theories.

I mean, except where these statements cross into the criminal or invasive (like posting a picture of Marchi's front door), I think it's just best to ignore them. Trolls do what they do to elicit a response. I say this full well knowing the privilege that comes with not being a victim of Mignogna and not having experienced abuse to the extent received by his victims and others in the community.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
What’s annoying now is people are saying the judge is incompetent just because he apparently gets a lot of bad reviews & complaints from other lawyers.

Are judges restaurants now? Can you automatically post a 1 Star if they pissed you off or served a wrong dish?

First it’s a conspiracy, now the judge is willfully incompetent, when does it stop?

Last edited by Scion Drake on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Good. Screw him. He’s a predator. And not even that good a voice actor.
Out of the all of the roles I've heard him in, the one which I always thought was his best performance, before any of this even happened, was Mamoru Torigai in RahXephon. Now if what has been said about him is true, is really fitting as the character is a religious nutter who attacks girls(the girl also being the sister of the character Monica played).
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Out of the all of the roles I've heard him in, the one which I always thought was his best performance, before any of this even happened, was Mamoru Torigai in RahXephon. Now if what has been said about him is true, is really fitting as the character is a religious nutter who attacks girls(the girl also being the sister of the character Monica played).

For me, his best role was Junpei in Persona 3. Which also makes sense, because Junpei is a sleazy perverted moron.
But at least Junpei had character development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5