• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Quintessential Quintuplets Manga Ends in 14th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
I'm just happy that it wasn't spoiler[Itsuki, the most generic girl in the series. I ignored the anime at first because I thought it was just another harem show, but was surprised that it didn't revel in the tropes and tried some different stuff. An Itsuki ending would have undercut what attracted me to this show in the first place - even my wife, who is familiar with anime but by no means a major fan (without me she likely wouldn't watch much and wouldn't go out her way for any) was able to peg Itsuki as the tropiest girl of the lot.]

spoiler[Itsuki is pretty inoffensive though, I would have been mad if Nino won because the entire first season she was a complete bitch] Miku all day

**** may seem like a bitch at first but she had her reasons, in later arcs you see she can be a sweetheart, and an even better sister.

I think all the girls are equally precious, flaws and all.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
And on a similar note, this manga made me understand me how pointless toxic "waifu wars" and "best/worst girl" crap really are. The underlying themes are well portrayed through the characters actions and dialogue. Another reason I think it's a masterpiece, thank you 5Toubun.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
As an anime only watcher, the desire to hit those spoiler boxes is insurmountable. Does my favorite girl win? The answer is right there! Hng!

To be honest, it isn't actually over yet. It appears like one of the girls is the 'winner' and we know of at least 2 who look to be out of the running (based on reactions on page) but there are several issues left. There is still time for a curveball such as a confession rejection, or even it being a fakeout and he is just telling the one it looks like is getting the confession who he is really planning on confessing to. Or, perhaps a story about issues of the confessee in order to get them to the point they can accept such a thing rather than insist they don't deserve it for whatever reason.

In other words, despite appearances, calling a 'winner' in the Futaro-bowl might still be premature.
GoukaRyuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Nice to see it getting a proper ending. About how much has been covered by the anime? I'm curious if it could get the ending animated if it got a 3rd season...

I have been told by a friend that is a fan of the show that about 5 seasons would be the best to adapt everything. I replied that given everything 5 seasons would be the perfect number.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SuperRed wrote:

Anime covered the first 4 or so volumes. So yeah lots of content to make a 2 cour.

Thanks for the info Smile Guess they can fit it in to 3 total seasons (~36 eps) then. Hopefully they get the opportunity to.

GoukaRyuu wrote:

I have been told by a friend that is a fan of the show that about 5 seasons would be the best to adapt everything. I replied that given everything 5 seasons would be the perfect number.

That seems like a bit of a stretch based on the current season, though I suppose if the 2nd season only covers 2-3 volumes that would work. Though I think it'd be lucky to get a 3rd season, let alone 5 total.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:
I'm just happy that it wasn't spoiler[Itsuki, the most generic girl in the series. I ignored the anime at first because I thought it was just another harem show, but was surprised that it didn't revel in the tropes and tried some different stuff. An Itsuki ending would have undercut what attracted me to this show in the first place - even my wife, who is familiar with anime but by no means a major fan (without me she likely wouldn't watch much and wouldn't go out her way for any) was able to peg Itsuki as the tropiest girl of the lot.]

spoiler[Itsuki is pretty inoffensive though, I would have been mad if Nino won because the entire first season she was a complete bitch] Miku all day

First of all Itsuki is not the "most generic character" in the series and really missing point of her character, she actually has a lot of things in common with Fuutarou and she kind of represents or parallels to Fuutarou in some ways.

Secondly, Nino yes she was a b-word. However she actually changed and developed a lot as a character just as much as Miku.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SuperRed wrote:
And on a similar note, this manga made me understand me how pointless toxic "waifu wars" and "best/worst girl" crap really are. The underlying themes are well portrayed through the characters actions and dialogue. Another reason I think it's a masterpiece, thank you 5Toubun.

Well said. Although 5Toubun is hardly a masterpiece but is probably best written romance comedy/harem manga that well manga has to offer.
SuperRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:
SuperRed wrote:

Well said. Although 5Toubun is hardly a masterpiece but is probably best written romance comedy/harem manga that well manga has to offer.

To me a masterpiece is not something that's just merely entertaining, but opens you to appreciate and evaluate other things in ways you didn't realize before. 5Toubun did that for me, at least.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:

lol what? Even just on a surface level, Itsuki is definitely the least "tropiest" girl. Nino is a tsundere, Miku's a shrinking violet, Ichika is the teasing onee-san, Yotsuba is the genki girl, but Itsuki isn't as easily labeled.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:

lol what? Even just on a surface level, Itsuki is definitely the least "tropiest" girl. Nino is a tsundere, Miku's a shrinking violet, Ichika is the teasing onee-san, Yotsuba is the genki girl, but Itsuki isn't as easily labeled.

Itsuki is the main-heroine-like heroine with a silly comedy at the beginning of the series that make her can argue with the protagonist as an equal but still actually acknowledge him deep down with or without a visible romance.
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
woo after last chapter i feel Negi messed up hard. i wanted it to be done right. not like this. theres still another vol to rectify this.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
The manga isn't over yet, and I'm not saying this to give the other girls' shippers hope; there's a lot of issues to be resolved with Fuu and his choice in order for her to be the Bride.

What has made this manga great is that each individual girl has a story as important as Fuu's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2