• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Best Pokémon Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
The first series was was pretty bad if you look at it objectively. Lots of filler, bad animation where the battles were mostly still screens of Pokemon doing attacks, zero character development for the trainers and Pokemon. The series evolved a long way since those days. Sun and Moon and the new series kind of killed my interest in the anime tho. Didn't like the way it went for more comedic and episodic writing style. But I guess we all grow out of stuff eventually.
The first season holds up pretty well to me. In Johto League, it takes Ash around 13 episodes before he finally wins his first badge. In comparison, Ash had already won three badges by that point in the Indigo League. One of the major themes of the Kanto arc was Ash learning to mature through his mistakes as he grows out of his earlier arrogance and hot headedness. Brock did kind of become a comic relief character after those first couple of episodes but he was still generally likable.

Misty also goes through a lot of maturity through her journeys with Ash and Brock. And I think Team Rocket had a lot of variety in their development in these episodes, especially with Team Rocket fanboy, Takeshi Shudo as a main writer. The earlier episodes especially had a good balance of portraying Team Rocket as threatening villains and their comical side. The Pokemon do become kind of one note after their initial introductions but I think Charmander and Psyduck still have a lot of character focus and Pikachu has important moments like the episode where he refuses to evolve. . The animation is kind of dated but you can say the same thing for a lot of late 90s/early 2000s anime.

I think the biggest appeal to the Indigo League to me though is that it still had a strong sense of mystery to the Pokemon world at this point in the show where we didn't know that much about the world of Pokemon and it was always a big event when a legendary Pokemon showed up. Compared to nowadays where they encounter a legendary in almost every movie and while I'm enjoying the new series it's still kind of jarring to me when Satoshi and Go barely even blink when they meet a Lugia in like the second episode.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
For me, XY was Pokemon's peak and Ash's peak. After dropping Black & White, it was great to follow Ash's adventures in Kalos week after week, I just loved it.
Then I dropped Sun & Moon after 50 episodes and now the new series is being interesting but I'm realizing that the Pokemon I liked died with XY. I'm not a fan of the approach they've taken with the series and Ash, and it's a shame because I think XY had reached something solid both with the series itself and with Ash as a character.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
_Dog wrote:
Deciding the Top 5 series of Pokémon is like deciding who's urine tastes best among seven or eight men. Callum May ought to be ashamed in supporting a show that seeks to be nothing more than a 20-minute advertisement to sell the games and merchandise, a show with zero vision for its story and characters.

I would suggest that he and every reader read my post in the link below.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4945006

Pokemon is fun.

- Callum May
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the Gen Z'er that made this list, they obviously were too young to realize that Season 1 is the best series, idc about battle animation or whatever, its the most wholesome 270 something episodes of pokemon.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
_Dog wrote:
Deciding the Top 5 series of Pokémon is like deciding who's urine tastes best among seven or eight men. Callum May ought to be ashamed in supporting a show that seeks to be nothing more than a 20-minute advertisement to sell the games and merchandise, a show with zero vision for its story and characters.

In the past I would have disagreed, but seeing the direction the franchise has gone over the past number of years makes it a bit hard to disagree it's fueled mostly by marketing and sales these days. The mainstream success of Pokemon Go has certainly changed the priority of the franchise and there was a notable shift in the mainline games and anime's priorities when it happened. There was some alarm on 2ch when people noticed a number of animators and staff leaving the anime after XY. Looking back, it was a pretty big sign the franchise was going to go in an entirely new direction. It was sad seeing the 2ch Pokemon community shrink to a fraction of it's former self during Sun and Moon's run. XY used to generate thousands of posts and discussions. By the end of Sun and Moon there was only a couple hundred at the best of times.

I still maintain XY was a legitimately good show and the last great showing from the anime franchise, and a great swansong for a lot of the stuff who left after it. Second would be Diamond and Pearl, third would be Best Wishes, and fourth would be Advanced Generation. Those were all entertaining and fun adventure series. We got to meet and see a lot of fun characters and adventures over the years. I'm not a fan of the newer series or games, but maybe a new generation will grow up to appreciate them in their own way.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I guess Advanced was so forgettable it was gorgotten on the poll Surprised

Gorgotten?

DavetheUsher wrote:
Didn't like the way it went for more comedic and episodic writing style. But I guess we all grow out of stuff eventually.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I vaguely remember OG pokemon being comedic and having episodic writing.

FlyGuySempai wrote:
I feel bad for the Gen Z'er that made this list, they obviously were too young to realize that Season 1 is the best series, idc about battle animation or whatever, its the most wholesome 270 something episodes of pokemon.

What even is this comment?

I do believe the writer much like you watched the first 270 episodes of the anime just because they didn't rate it doesn't mean they didn't watch it or were too young to see it for quality it didn't actually have.

_Dog wrote:

I would suggest that he and every reader read my post in the link below.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4945006

I have no idea why you're shamelessly advertising a rant you typed in a thread one year ago that was locked involving a subject that only you seem to care about.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
For me, the original series we're pretty quite fun and lot story invoving Teamwork and friendship we're the best thing i'd have ever had.

For the XY Series, the story was much more dramatic and had a much of a darker plot, it involves around in later series Ash and Greninja being connected to each other using the Bond Phenomenon and the two share the same pain when defeated. They also protect Z2 from being abducted by Team Flare and Alain forming a strong rivalry and friendship with Ash. The later episodes featured Team Flare attacking the Lumiose City and Team Flare using something tool for the power of use. Serena also received a lot attention and got more fans and more shipping as a response to Serena having known Ash in their childhood, leading to the term AmourShipping.

For the Sun and Moon, the series was a bit of a more humorous and the story was much more slice of life school-themed story, it also had a lot of pop-cultural references, such as Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, the roles of Megumi Hayashibara she has voiced over the yearS, Golgo 13, and Real making cameo in the episode. Sun and Moon saw the return of Brock and Misty after their long absences, appearing themselves as two-episode guest stars in the 20th Anniversary and again when they went to on Alola. Sun and Moon was also the landmark of an Ash winning the Alola League, making Ash the winner. While he managed to win the league, it is never clearly shown on how and if Ash got a chance to Pokemon Master. There is several theory about on what it can be done to become Pokemon Master, you can read in Bulbapedia article here:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Master

The new series featuring just simply Ash and Go traveling around the world is something i don't enjoy, i feel like this is an odyssey, and Koharu has yet to travel with them, but not right now, because she still a student attending.
precita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
The Johto saga of all things in the top 4, and better than DP? WTF?

Outside of some good eps here and there, Johto was known for being filler hell. Misty loses most of her personality and character and the main cast was at its dullest with the least character development. The reason Misty was permanently dropped from the anime 17 years ago was because Takeshi Shudo, the original director, felt she was a poor female lead and was the least justified Kanto character. The writers decided not to bring her back to the cast and made her departure permanent shortly after Hoenn started.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the oversight, I've added Advanced Generations to the poll. If you already voted, you can still click on the poll again to change your votes. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
LumRanmaYasha wrote:
Callum is using the divisions that The Pokemon Company International has been using for the show these past few years, separating out the seasons of episodes by the generation of games they're based on. They use this branding on the official Pokemon TV app.

So they did away with 4Kids' odd tradition of giving the show a new name every few cours? That's something at least.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I think the biggest appeal to the Indigo League to me though is that it still had a strong sense of mystery to the Pokemon world at this point in the show where we didn't know that much about the world of Pokemon and it was always a big event when a legendary Pokemon showed up. Compared to nowadays where they encounter a legendary in almost every movie and while I'm enjoying the new series it's still kind of jarring to me when Satoshi and Go barely even blink when they meet a Lugia in like the second episode.

That's more of an issue with the current direction the anime is going for than anything unique to the first series IMO. Sun and Moon did the same thing with treating Ultra Beasts as kind of a joke where they had to capture them by doing silly gags like flexing their muscles or doing a fireworks show rather than battling them. All the previous series treated Legendaries and mysteries like a big deal. But the new series lets them travel between all the regions in 5 minutes. The sense of scale and wonder is gone now that they have a personal jet to take them to any region whenever they want like it's a casual walk down to the store. They spent 2 days in Galar before going back home to Kanto.
The days of trekking through dense forests and jungles, uncovering secret ruins or hidden villages along the way to the next Gym Badge are over from the looks of it.
precita

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 am Reply with quote
I think the sense of irony here is how successful and popular the anime continued to be after Misty left. I still remember the early 2000's when people kept trying to claim the anime would get canceled after Misty left, or that Misty couldn't possibly leave the show, etc. Now the ENTIRE SERIES is after Misty left, and Misty was nothing more than a short-lived supporting character from the beginning of the series. Misty is actually only in like 20% of the animes total episodes now, she's been gone for 80% of the series. It's pretty funny when you stop to realize how short lived Misty's character was in the anime overall, the series started in 1997 and by 2002 she was already gone. Besides brief cameos like in SM, Misty hasn't been part of the show for 17 years.

Remember the days people used to try to divide the show up between when Misty was on it and when she wasn't? There's now also 9+ female companions after Misty, which also goes to prove Misty could be replaced by any other type of female lead and be just as successful. It's hard to believe there was once a time people thought the fandom wouldn't like any other main girl over Misty, or Misty was "too popular" to be replaced, when all that happened over the last 17 years. May already became more popular than her with most of the original fans in the early 2000's, let alone Dawn, etc. after that.

Probably helps that now an entire younger generation of fans grew up watching the show from 2003-2017 long after she was gone, so you can't even say most people grew up with the original trio anymore because statistics wise it's impossible.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Diamond and Pearl is my favorite. Had a good mix of things I liked about the female lead, rival, and strong line up of the pokes. Just wish TR was like the first season of Black/White and show up as much. But more importantly, wish Ash didn't lose for crap reasons. Should had won it there.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ace Vuksa wrote:
For the Sun and Moon, the series was a bit of a more humorous and the story was much more slice of life school-themed story, it also had a lot of pop-cultural references, such as Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, the roles of Megumi Hayashibara she has voiced over the yearS, Golgo 13, and Real making cameo in the episode. Sun and Moon saw the return of Brock and Misty after their long absences, appearing themselves as two-episode guest stars in the 20th Anniversary and again when they went to on Alola. Sun and Moon

Pokemon has always had references to other anime, sometimes so dangerous close that they've had to go back and reanimate things for later airings when threats of lawsuits were on the table. It wasn't really anything new. And Takeshi appeared as recently as Best Wishes.

precita wrote:
Remember the days people used to try to divide the show up between when Misty was on it and when she wasn't? There's now also 9+ female companions after Misty, which also goes to prove Misty could be replaced by any other type of female lead and be just as successful. It's hard to believe there was once a time people thought the fandom wouldn't like any other main girl over Misty, or Misty was "too popular" to be replaced, when all that happened over the last 17 years. May already became more popular than her with most of the original fans in the early 2000's, let alone Dawn, etc. after that.

When the anime did it's Heisei Era special back in January, a 1 hour special where they went over all the big milestones and cultural impact of the anime, they didn't even mention Kasumi at all in it. Takeshi was the only original series travelling companion that was noteworthy enough to get a dedicated segment for.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Putting nostalgia aside or even with nostalgia... The best pokémon Anime is:
Pokemon: The Origin

I'm just sad it's that short... they could even do one for every generation, they adapted it so faithfully.
j_plex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Best Pokemon season hands down was the first, back when they thought that a single season was all that there was ever going to be and had no idea it would be distributed internationally. That was back when they had some real character development as well as a truly bizarre sense of humor.

Black and White was the second best. The Brock thing had long gotten old, Team Rocket was actually competent - a threat at times even - and Iris was the best female sidekick (the most mature, the most ambitious with the best personal goals, not in love with Ash sparing us the "idiot shounen protagonist oblivious to love" for a stretch, the only one that actually "looks Japanese" which is a big deal in anime especially for female characters and - until Sun and Moon - the only one not used for fanservice).

Third best? Difficult to identify. Between the Indigo League seasons where they toned Misty down and got rid of Brock, the ones with boring May (and even more boring Max) and XYZ's strange attempts to blatantly recycle stuff from earlier seasons I guess Diamond and Pearl was the best (long live Buneary and Angie).

The worst? Sun and Moon. Where the first season was aimed at 11 year old Japanese boys, the last - or last 3 - were aimed apparently at a global audience of 2nd grade girls. Nothing wrong with appealing to the Pretty Cure crowd, but at least Precure has a good bit of drama plus some interesting fights. (Especially the first season.) Sun and Moon had a weird contradiction: an attempt to limit the violence in the fights as much as possible (none of the 80s/90s action movie drag out knockdown stuff from the early seasons) and making the Pokemon so overpowered they could level cities (I guess blowing stuff up is less violent than kicks/punches/body-slams?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3