• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Licenses Nana TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is an unexpected surprise! I have the first two boxsets of Viz’s release so it’ll be nice to finally own the whole series.
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
delariean wrote:
I just hope that it will be finally uncut and not have the replacement music VIZ had to get around. Is that still an issue of not hearing Olivia's A little Pain as the first ED?

It was never a problem. The music was intact.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
For those of you too young to know how big a deal Nana was in its day:

In 2009, the manga sold 1.5 million copies of a single volume, more than any other shojo manga since. (Kimi ni Todoke came closest.) If Ai Yazawa were to resume Nana this year, it could theoretically still be the most-read shojo manga in Japan, after a 12-year absence.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 am Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
delariean wrote:
I just hope that it will be finally uncut and not have the replacement music VIZ had to get around. Is that still an issue of not hearing Olivia's A little Pain as the first ED?

It was never a problem. The music was intact.

Not on the Viz DVDs it wasn't.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
I would have preferred Paradise Kiss, but I've heard good things about Nana.
Maybe I'll pick it up.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
Curiously, the latest issue of Otaku USA (April, 2021, mailed to subscribers last week) already had this news in the form of a lengthy item in its video releases section, and apparently nobody noticed that this constituted a de facto licensing announcement. https://twitter.com/invalidname/status/1354193300979404804
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
delariean wrote:

As far as I know, every single release of this show outside of Japan had to replace "A Little Pain" as the first ED, due to its chorus that sounds too similar to "Just Missed the Train". If only they had credited Danielle Brisebois and Scott Cutler among the songwriters.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Maybe I'll pick it up.

Oh Paradise Kiss now that's something worth reviving. If you like Nana, good for you but after while Nana's antics just got my nerves and I felt Nana's high handedness was souring the entire premise.

Nana, the series you can just throw the name "Nana" at and expect to hit something.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
I have soooo many memories of watching the Nana anime, happy to see more people can discover it.

Never read the manga but here's hoping the author continues it/wraps it up.

But oh man the music!
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

As far as I know, every single release of this show outside of Japan had to replace "A Little Pain" as the first ED, due to its chorus that sounds too similar to "Just Missed the Train". If only they had credited Danielle Brisebois and Scott Cutler among the songwriters.

Oh I wondered if it was something like that. It never made sense to me that they could use Starless Night but not A Little Pain since AFAIK all the same people were involved. It's sad because A Little Pain sets a completely different tone than Starless Night, IMO.

The weird thing is, they did still play it in spoiler[the episode where Nana finally gets to see Ren again.] Maybe they felt like they could get away with it since it was mid episode and probably a lot harder to replace with the lip flaps and stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Oh I wondered if it was something like that. It never made sense to me that they could use Starless Night but not A Little Pain since AFAIK all the same people were involved. It's sad because A Little Pain sets a completely different tone than Starless Night, IMO.

The weird thing is, they did still play it in spoiler[the episode where Nana finally gets to see Ren again.] Maybe they felt like they could get away with it since it was mid episode and probably a lot harder to replace with the lip flaps and stuff.

It could be that they DID have to pay royalties to the American songwriters and thus could only afford synchronization rights for one episode. Funimation had a similar issue with the Eden of the East OP, where they could only afford to use it in the first episode.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I don’t want to speak too ill of a creator I respect but.. I’m convinced Yazawa deals with serious depression. She understands it terribly well in her writing; the secrecy around her “unspecified illness” makes sense considering her culture.

I hope she can find her way out, even if she won’t be able to return to a work as intense as Nana had gotten.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:55 am Reply with quote
Oh snap, the legend returns! I loved this show way back!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice. My only issue is that it's one of those early 2000s digipaint shows that were made in 480, have no HD materials at all, and generally look pretty bad on HDTVs. I wonder if we're getting close to a point where machine learning and techniques like DLSS can give us HD versions that actually look HD?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Maybe I'll pick it up.

We're probably out of luck on Paradise Kiss, since it's an old Aniplex title, and Aniplex generally hasn't been licensing those out for awhile now.

Mr. sickVisionZ wrote:
Nice. My only issue is that it's one of those early 2000s digipaint shows that were made in 480, have no HD materials at all, and generally look pretty bad on HDTVs. I wonder if we're getting close to a point where machine learning and techniques like DLSS can give us HD versions that actually look HD?

You're probably right about the show's native resolution, but is 2006-07 "early 2000s" now? Though given Sentai's track record with the two formats, an in-house BD upscale will probably look better than SD-BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3