• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime Of Spring 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

Note, the first ep has refs to a play about the biblical story of Salome, because the actress was in rehearsals for it when she got hurt and her brain is stuck repeating lines from the play in a really theatrical style...This might be confusing or off-putting for some folks, but I had heard of the plays and paintings about it, so with my anglo background I didn't find it bad or offensive. I can't imagine how it would seem to Japanese folks. It may be why there was a strong disclaimer put up at the start of the show.

It's Oscar Wilde's 1894 play Salome, and the lines she's quoting are actual lines from the play. I don't know how widely translated Wilde's works are in Japanese, but given his status as an author, I wouldn't be surprised if this one had been.

In Meiji 40 (1907), Mori Ōgai contributed an article on Wilde's Salomé to the Kabuki magazine. (Though the title of the magazine was 'Kabuki', it also dealt with other forms of the theatre.) In Meiji 42 (1909), Ōgai contributed a Japanese translation
of Wilde's Salomé to the same magazine. Probably this is the first complete Japanese translation of Wilde's Salomé.
In Taishō 2 (1913), the Geijutsuza theatrical company presented Wilde's Salomé at the Imperial Theatre. Actress Matsui Sumako played the role of Salomé. This is the first performance of Wilde's Salomé which was played by Japanese actors.
In Taishō 9 (1920), publishing firm Ten'yūsha published 5-volume collected works of Oscar Wilde.
In Kusamakura (Meiji 39, 1906), Natsume Sōseki wrote, '基督は最高度に藝術家の態度を具足したるものなり、とは、オスカー、ワイルドの說と記憶してゐる。' Probably Sōseki was referring to the 'but the very basis of his nature was the same as that of the nature of the artist' part in De Profundis by Oscar Wilde. On a side note, Kusamakura was Glenn Gould's favourite book.
Akutagawa Ryūnosuke liked works by Wilde, and the title of one of Akutagawa's unfinished manuscripts is Salomé.
In 'On Oscar Wilde' (Shōwa 25, 1950), regarding his having purchased a copy of Salomé at the age of 11, Mishima Yukio wrote, '私がはじめて手にした文學作品は「サロメ」であつた。これは私がはじめて自分の目で選んだ自分の所有物にした本である。この選擇には言ふまでもなくビアズレイの插繪があづかつてゐたが、ビアズレイを選ぶことと、「サロメ」を選ぶことの間に、そもそもどれだけの庭逕があらうか。そこに明證と呈示してゐる一時代の雰圍氣を私は躊躇なく選びとつたのではあるまいか。' Just after Mishima's suicide, Mishima's theatrical company Roman Gekijō presented Salomé in Shōwa 46 (1971). The 'direction and set design' credit went to Mishima. So, in a sense, there was Salomé at the beginning and the ending of Mishima Yukio's literary life.
I remember Yoshida Ken'ichi wrote about Wilde's Intentions, which he read in an old edition published in England, in his Memoirs on the Bookshelves.
In the 1980s, publishing firm Seidosha published the complete works of Oscar Wilde (6 volumes. The translation was done by scholar of English literature Nishimura Kōji).
Now some Japanese publishing firms sell Japanese translations of Salomé in inexpensive small paperback bunko editions. So if a Japanese person wants to read a Japanese translation of Wilde's Salomé, he/she can easily acquire it.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
Those that are high on the list:

SSSS.Dynazenon: Gridman was fantastic so let's hope it's going to be the same kind of quality.
Super Cub: I'll watch it regardless of where it ends up. I've only read the manga - it's originally a light novel - and it has a great melancholic feel to it and while some people compared it to Yurucamp, I don't think that's a great comparison, if anything, it's more like Yorimoi, both great shows in their own regard.
Mewkledreamy Mix: it's another season of Mewkledreamy. Let's hope this time the licensing gods are listening but I'll watch it regardless.

It's on CR so I'll check them out:

To Your Eternity: It's based on A Silent Voice's author manga, so I expect it to be at least good.
Cramer: I have no idea but it's by the author of KimiUso so it can't be bad.
Slime 300: A feelgood SoL isekai with the MC being voiced by Yuuki Aoi, please inject it into my veins.
Higehiro: I know the premise doesn't sound the best to say the least, but I liked the trailer, at the very least I'll check out the 1st episode.
Zombieland Saga S2: It's more Zombieland Saga, what's more to say?
Osamake: Looks like a fun romantic comedy that plays heavily with the tropes and it's being adapted by Doga Kobo.

I'll give it a chance:

86: Kim likes the novels, I'll possibly binge watch the 1st cour after this season has ended, since it sounds like the kind of show that's painful to watch weekly.
Shadows House: If anything, I dig the premise. But I'm worried for CloverWorks here, I hope they'll be okay.
Dragon Goes House-Hunting: The premise pretty much sounds like a certain puppet show for children from my country so for that alone is enough reason for me to watch it.
Combatants Will Be Dispatched: Another one by the Konosuba author. I liked Kemonomichi enough so this one might be good as well.

Tossup:

Megalobox S2: I liked the first season enough but I'm not sure whether I want more of it. I'll give it a chance if nothing else holds up.
Vivy: Tappei's writing the script but I'll watch enough shows already so it's the same as Megalobox S2.

And since Nagatoro is something I'm already reading, I'll probably won't watch it unless it's a super good adaptation.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
Looks like SSSS.Gridman managed to make a sequel with an even weirder title...

I guess To Your Eternity is highest priority for me just because it's Yoshitoki Oima, but man, there's still a lot of stuff I need to catch up on from the past few seasons.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
Most Anticipated:

Fairy Ranmaru: I can't believe nobody mentioned this one. One day Mahou Shounen series will take themselves seriously but for once I'm glad that day is not today. Give me some camp!!!

Shadow House: The premise was very intriguing so I checked out the manga and damn this is good! It's exactly what I needed to scratch my Land of the Lustrous ever since the anime ended.

Pretty Boy Detective Club: I love Kinako's art and I've been meaning the check out Nisioisin's stuff for a while. From what I've read from the LN this series gets pretty wild so it's probably something I'll like.

Will Check Out:

SSS.Dynazenon: Never watched the first but willing to give this a decent shot if only for some more weird mecha anime.

Odd Taxi: The trailer was underwhelming and I'm not a fan of the furry designs but the mystery setup interests me.

Mars Red: I don't like supernatural anime but I love theatre so doing an entire series that way makes it a must-watch.

Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood: Most of Crunchyroll's originals have been bad but this one looks decent enough.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:

Will Check Out:

Mars Red: I don't like supernatural anime but I love theatre so doing an entire series that way makes it a must-watch.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression, but I don't think the whole series will be done with characters speaking in a theatrical style. One character in the first ep was, but that was an actress injured during a rehearsal, and it left her mentally a bit out of things.

I did find the pacing of most of the conversations to be, I guess I would say, more restrained than most anime. Part of that may be that the main character seems to be a man of few words, so to speak. But it was nice to see an anime with a different style.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
I am honestly not that excited about the Spring season, but I really want to watch the conclusion of Fruits Basket, and Megalobox 2 intrigues me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2