• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2021 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Honestly not many of these titles are grabbing my attention. There seems to be mostly duds in there. I am very interested in Frieren, but I was already interested thanks to the review previously posted here. I already have ordered vols 1 and 2 (2 is a pre-order).

Of the other titles I was not already familiar with, Restart After Coming Back Home definitely has the largest amount of my interest. I'm all for a nice sweet and charming story to read inbetween my fantasy and action titles.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I was on the Winter 2021 light novel guide and wanted to comment about it but I got sent to the Winter 2021 manga guide.

Yeah sure...
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
I was on the Winter 2021 light novel guide and wanted to comment about it but I got sent to the Winter 2021 manga guide.

Yeah sure...

Me too.

Is this how it's supposed to work?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
We're using the same forum for both, so it's ok to talk about either in here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
We're using the same forum for both, so it's ok to talk about either in here.

Okay, thank you!

About LNs, Endo and Kobayashi was the first to catch my eye and after Rebecca's recommendation it's now on my to-read list. Thanks!
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Planet of the Orcs sounds interesting. I probably won't end up reading it though tbh, so I hope it gets picked up for an anime adaptation lol
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:53 am Reply with quote
I Kept Pressing the 100-Million-Year Button and Came Out on Top

So our 'hero' spent 200 million years training. My contention is that after the first 100 million years, our 'hero' would have forgotten who he was doing this for, probably forgotten how to behave as a human and interact with other humans, and probably evolved beyond human understanding. One hundred million years is a really, really, long time. The "Highlander" folks were just a drop in the bucket for this guy, and they had their own problems, but at least they had human companionship during their long ages.

After two hundred million years of training, if he can't cut whole armies down with a blink of his eyelashes, he is a wasteful failure.

If this is a 'gag' light novel, guess it might be okay, but if it isn't, then this series is going to have major problems with reality.
Porudogumaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
I probably will end up checking out Planet of the Orcs, but the problem with that series is that the physical version was published in Japan by an imprint called Legend Novels, which appears to have ceased operations. At the very least, the books only got 2 physical volumes, the last of which released early January 2020, with no signs of a 3rd being made, so unless Seven Seas somehow gets permission to translate and commission cover art for the rest of the web novel (and I have no idea if the published version differs from the web novel, and/or to what extent it does) the story will unfortunately be left blatantly unfinished.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Porudogumaz wrote:
I unless Seven Seas somehow gets permission to translate and commission cover art for the rest of the web novel

Light novel publisher Cross Infinite World does this a lot, so it may not be as far-fetched as all that. We can hope, anyway!
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Really hoping Endo & Kobayashi can get a physical release as I struggle reading digital novels, and I love the manga for this. It's so fun and everyone is so endearing.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I definitely really liked A Life Turned Upside Down and Frieren, and I am curious about Restart After Coming Back Home and Robo Sapiens, so I'll check those out later.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The reviews here plus the recent news that (some) library association recommended Kaiju No. 8 and Robo Sapiens sent me scrambling off to get copies. Frieren sounds to my taste, too. A life turned upside down maybe.

Okay, so it's not a Winter manga, but I hope you guys will review The Magus of the Library sometime (v5 is about to come out, that may be a good time). It seems like something right up Rebecca's alley, and has beautiful cinematic art.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
Porudogumaz wrote:
I probably will end up checking out Planet of the Orcs, but the problem with that series is that the physical version was published in Japan by an imprint called Legend Novels, which appears to have ceased operations. At the very least, the books only got 2 physical volumes, the last of which released early January 2020, with no signs of a 3rd being made, so unless Seven Seas somehow gets permission to translate and commission cover art for the rest of the web novel (and I have no idea if the published version differs from the web novel, and/or to what extent it does) the story will unfortunately be left blatantly unfinished.

Guess I shouldn't expect an anime adaptation then lol. Well, if it ends like that I guess I'll skip it regardless -_-
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Okay, so it's not a Winter manga, but I hope you guys will review The Magus of the Library sometime (v5 is about to come out, that may be a good time). It seems like something right up Rebecca's alley, and has beautiful cinematic art.

I think my library recently got it, so I'll check it out!
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I know this isn't relevant to the article(s), but quick question, why hasn't anyone reviewed Zom 100 yet? It doesn't even have an entry in the encyclopedia. I'm just baffled tbh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3