• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Die Neue These back. And yeah, the new episode would have better served as a great finale to the previous season, but as a season opener, it's also pretty exciting. A lot of action, but not brainless action. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the show handles the next portion of novel material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
piebaker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was the only one that kept tearing up at SpyxFamily by virtue of there being a good boi in it. I've found solidarity in Caitlin's review lol.

Really enjoyed the ED but moreso the visuals than the song (first one still has me in a chokehold).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:13 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Watching the second half of Bastard, now at the last episode, I'm still wondering who is the main villain? Because I [expletive] refuse to believe this douchebag named Abigail is the main villain.

He's the main villain of that first story arc, which this second half finishes up, but that's it. If you want a "main villain", at least for the first two story arcs, it would be Anthrasax, but you really don't get a proper explanation as to why that's the main villain (beyond, "It's the cause of the apocalypse all those centuries ago") until the second story arc.

From the third story arc on, the concept of a "main villain" becomes more complicated, but the anime won't be getting to that for a good while still, if ever (depending on if Netflix decides to produce more of it).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:18 pm Reply with quote
O.K., so I am torn between watching this (have not seen the epi. yet) and "Futoko no Guild". I am a fan service fan and I know FnG will have plenty. However, for those that have read the source materials for both, which one do you see as the overall better series? If either of the following series has lots of fan service in their source materials, then I might watch this show over FnG: "Noumin Kanren no Skill Bakka" and "Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!".

Sure, I could just watch both but I'm trying to lessen how many debuting anime I am watching this season. I am already at over 10 that I plant to watch. Then again, I could always watch 2 separate series at the same time, each on a separate tab. Counting upcoming Eng. dubs of shows this season, that is 20+. Sheesh. Guess it helps that I am currently unemployed but I will get back to job hunting after meeting with a local Voc Rehab-related office on Tues.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
michizure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
Beast Tamer gets points for not being an isekai or showing a single stats screen,

It should also get points for not sexualizing Kanade, despite several stock opportunities. I was dreading that, and pleasantly surprised when they passed on it.

Quote:
but that eagerness to contract is Really Weird. If they'd given even a half-assed justification for why she would be so eager to form it, things would be a lot more palatable,

Having spent 'way too much run time on temporary contracts, it is unfathomable to me that they then totally ignore the option to, you know, try things out first.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Shouta best character of 2022
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:12 pm Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
Beast Tamer gets points for not being an isekai or showing a single stats screen, but that eagerness to contract is Really Weird. If they'd given even a half-assed justification for why she would be so eager to form it, things would be a lot more palatable, but nope, she just wants to see if he can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

My guess is that there is some concrete benefit to the Spirit for forming a contract, and we don't know about it yet because Rein - the viewpoint character - doesn't know about it yet. (Remember, he didn't even conceive that such a contract was possible until Kanade suggested it.) Otherwise, her eagerness to try it makes no sense. I'll give the series a chance to either demonstrate or explain that in episode 2 before passing judgment.

camseyeview140 wrote:
The person who wrote Beast Tamer has never played an RPG or a TTRPG if they think beast tamer is a terrible class. Such mediocre writing all around on that first episode. So aggravating.

While I won't entirely disagree about the "mediocre writing" part of the comment, that a Beast Tamer would be rejected as useless is hardly contrary to a TTRPG experience. In the original 5th edition D&D rules, the Beast Master was widely-regarded as the weakest Ranger archetype (in fact, maybe the weakest archetype of any standard class). Also, many years ago, one entire group of players active in the RPG convention circuit in the U.S. Midwest was notorious for refusing to allow certain character classes to join their table; they even went as far as making T-shirts announcing that. I couldn't help but think of that group as I watched the scene where the Hero fires Rein.

On other titles, Raven of the Inner Palace is, as expected, firmly on my viewing card for the season. This one shows a lot of promise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
The person who wrote Beast Tamer has never played an RPG or a TTRPG if they think beast tamer is a terrible class. Such mediocre writing all around on that first episode. So aggravating.

These fantasy manga/light novel authors are getting worse and worse with just the weakest reasons to start a story.

Keep in mind, these are amateur writers from the website that invented the otome-game-villainess-insert subgenre despite hardly anyone there having ever played an otome game.

On that note, still maintaining my spreadsheet, and I'll be updating it over the next few days to mark Management of Novice Alchemist, The Eminence in Shadow, Sword Dad, and Bibliophile Princess as having aired when appropriate.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Watching the second half of Bastard, now at the last episode, I'm still wondering who is the main villain? Because I [expletive] refuse to believe this douchebag named Abigail is the main villain.

He's the main villain of that first story arc, which this second half finishes up, but that's it. If you want a "main villain", at least for the first two story arcs, it would be Anthrasax, but you really don't get a proper explanation as to why that's the main villain (beyond, "It's the cause of the apocalypse all those centuries ago") until the second story arc.

From the third story arc on, the concept of a "main villain" becomes more complicated, but the anime won't be getting to that for a good while still, if ever (depending on if Netflix decides to produce more of it).

He just REALLY got on my nerves, Abigail. Just monuloging over and over, and nobody attacking in between. Guess that's par for any shounen series, I just figured they'd step up, especially for a remake. My expectations may have been lofty after Devilman. And Fullmetal Alchemist for that matter.

No boss fight should take over five Goddamn episodes.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
camseyeview140 wrote:

These fantasy manga/light novel authors are getting worse and worse with just the weakest reasons to start a story.

Keep in mind, these are amateur writers from the website that invented the otome-game-villainess-insert subgenre despite hardly anyone there having ever played an otome game.

On that note, still maintaining my spreadsheet, and I'll be updating it over the next few days to mark Management of Novice Alchemist, The Eminence in Shadow, Sword Dad, and Bibliophile Princess as having aired when appropriate.

I mean, it wouldn't have killed them to do some research about the different classes in fantasy RPGs and such. I just keep thinking the igniting point of the story is terribly written.

I just think there is no more excuses with how many fantasy/isekai stuff we get. They need to start doing better and they just don't.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
pi8you wrote:
Beast Tamer gets points for not being an isekai or showing a single stats screen, but that eagerness to contract is Really Weird. If they'd given even a half-assed justification for why she would be so eager to form it, things would be a lot more palatable, but nope, she just wants to see if he can ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

My guess is that there is some concrete benefit to the Spirit for forming a contract, and we don't know about it yet because Rein - the viewpoint character - doesn't know about it yet. (Remember, he didn't even conceive that such a contract was possible until Kanade suggested it.) Otherwise, her eagerness to try it makes no sense. I'll give the series a chance to either demonstrate or explain that in episode 2 before passing judgment.

camseyeview140 wrote:

While I won't entirely disagree about the "mediocre writing" part of the comment, that a Beast Tamer would be rejected as useless is hardly contrary to a TTRPG experience. In the original 5th edition D&D rules, the Beast Master was widely-regarded as the weakest Ranger archetype (in fact, maybe the weakest archetype of any standard class). Also, many years ago, one entire group of players active in the RPG convention circuit in the U.S. Midwest was notorious for refusing to allow certain character classes to join their table; they even went as far as making T-shirts announcing that. I couldn't help but think of that group as I watched the scene where the Hero fires Rein.

On other titles, Raven of the Inner Palace is, as expected, firmly on my viewing card for the season. This one shows a lot of promise.

I just think there could have been a better starting point. At the very least, Banished From The Hero's Party had a reason. This is just super petty nonsense, and that's very interesting to know there were actual people like that, but ugh...I just haaaaaaaaate the writing so far.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:45 am Reply with quote
My Hero S6: More My Hero. Nice to see Mirko in action spoiler[too bad about the whole black knight thing she now has going on]

Spy x Family: More Spy Family. Nice to see nothing has changed with the break

Beast Tamer: Eh. The kicked out of the party trope rarely makes sense/is justified, but at least they got through it quick. I figured he couldn't tame monsters (like that sabertooth cat), but then he mentions that there weren't any monsters to tame around... I guess just the ones that disappear can't be tamed? Otherwise I don't get why he wouldn't have tamed it. Also, how does a tamer not have even one animal partner already? I hope that in the next episode we find out some reason why Kanade would want to be tamed or how it benefits the pair. Strange that (to use a generic term) demi-humans could even be tamed in the first place... I wonder if he can tame humans too Laughing

Raven: Seems intriguing, but the English subs use the Chinese names, while the Japanese vocals use the Japanese names, and I just find that miss-match annoying to follow
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:45 am Reply with quote
OK so I've just watched G-Witch with the Japanese broadcast.

I think the western fanbase is going to be set alight when they see the "twist" that is revealed at the end of the episode as a result of the battle that ensues...

Quite literally message boards are going to EXPLODE...

I will put one thing in spoiler tags...... spoiler[Utena.....]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
Look like the most anticipated anime of the year is also one of the weirdest ever created. "Pop Team Epic" is returning and for a lot of people,it still looks like it was made with the help of a lot of drugs. I don't know if that's how others feel about it but,that's how it appears to me. Only time will tell if those people are correct or not.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:31 am Reply with quote
The Witch from Mercury: They really went there, didn't they? Well, they sure did. And the mech action was bloody excellent as well, of course, it wouldn't be a Gundam show without that. A definite follow.

I didn't watch it on CR though because the subs are out of sync for some reason.

@gumbaloom Exactly my thoughs there. And I haven't even seen 'that show' yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22