• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaguya-sama: Love is War Manga Ends on November 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:58 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Well, I have read the manga and that's part of the problem. It's pretty clear there were plot threads shown (in a very explicit way) that were then abandoned. It could be that those threads were axed because Akasaka thought they weren't very good but based on the quality of writting over the last year or so it seems more like he said "fudge it" and just gave up. The Ishi Ino stuff was a cop out ending dolled up as "brilliance" and decided to scrap years of character growth for the sake of a dull joke. What makes it worse, is that this sub arc was having some very development when it was sidelined for the abysmal war arc. All that does it make it feel we were having something something nice taken away for something shitty.

I also read the manga, and that's definitely not what I got. How it ended felt like the natural conclusion to their arc. And to be fair here: I like Ishigami, but most of the Ishigami-centric arcs have terrible endings. This has probably been the only one where it felt natural instead of praising what a godsend Ishigami is by multiple characters that just doesn't feel realistic. Instead of developing the sidecast, the arcs just serve to put Ishigami on a pedestal while also reducing the number of competition for Iino, instead of actually developing on their own as people. This has been the only one where I said 'Wow, this ending to an Ishigami arc wasn't crap'.

I really don't know why people thought the so-called 'years of development' was going to have Ishigami and Iino somehow be more straight-forward with their actions, because that's definitely not what I got reading 270+ chapters. Both characters grew up, but they're not even remotely close to being done with that development. The development they got? That was the start of their growing up, not the ending.
09jcg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

I really don't know why people thought the so-called 'years of development' was going to have Ishigami and Iino somehow be more straight-forward with their actions, because that's definitely not what I got reading 270+ chapters. Both characters grew up, but they're not even remotely close to being done with that development. The development they got? That was the start of their growing up, not the ending.

spoiler[They were 5 seconds away from sucking face. Why WOULDNT people think there would be some progress. That moment is never addressed again. Iinos flower and Ishigamis fllowr langauge stuff? Prominetly displayed in the story and then dropped for a rushed ending. Iino deciding to be aggressive in persuing a relationship. Every indication was that this plot line would have some for of development. You're argument is further weakend by the fact that a time skip was used as a narrative device for their chapter. He could have shown us anything through the use of a time skip. If you're going to do that, use it to show that they got together or never got together. Don't waste people's time and utilize a time skip to say "guess what kids, theyre the new Kaguya and Shirogane". That's just weak, especially since neither of them have the same character traits or personalities as Kaguya and Shirogane. Iino in particular was fully going in a direction of being forthright and honest with what she wants and you regress her into being someone whose pride makes her want the other character want to confess to her. It's out of character for her and Ishigami's character and was just plane bad writting. Could this maybe have been a cute joke if we were getting more of the story? Maybe (and even then it's not THAT funny). This isn't the middle though. It's the conclusion and inconclusive endings muddle the experience]
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
spoiler[They were 5 seconds away from sucking face. Why WOULDNT people think there would be some progress.]

spoiler[Kaguya and Shirogane are 5 seconds away from sucking face almost literally every episode since the first episode.]
Quote:
spoiler[Iinos flower and Ishigamis fllowr langauge stuff? Prominently displayed in the story and then dropped for a rushed ending.]

spoiler[Yeah, and since the first episode of S3, they explained exactly why they never bring it up otherwise, hence why they remain ignorant of the other person's efforts for them.]
Quote:
spoiler[Iino deciding to be aggressive in pursuing a relationship. Every indication was that this plot line would have some for of development.]

spoiler[Except she didn't. Like Kaguya, that was an indirect ask, especially given that she thought she had no one else to invite to the council with her (because of a lack of friends who would be interested).]
Quote:
spoiler[You're argument is further weakened by the fact that a time skip was used as a narrative device for their chapter. He could have shown us anything through the use of a time skip. If you're going to do that, use it to show that they got together or never got together.]

I'm not even sure where you were going with this, and again I don't see the necessity of it being spelled out because clearly they were just at the start of a relationship, not at the middle of one. It doesn't need to be spelled out in neon-high letters. Personally, I'd hate it to be spelled out like that, because that to me screams of weaker writing, not stronger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2