• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah! My Goddess (TV, both seasons) / (OAV) / (Movie)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I own (and have watched) the entire first season, I haven't yet started buying the second season (and haven't watched it) in part because until just recently I was confused and thinking it wasn't coming out till July. But I hope to get the vol 2 box soon and start building that set.

Regarding season 1, I liked it well enough, altho I'm not fond of the shift in character designs. I TOTALLY understand and realize that it is following the manga in that regard and the anime resembles the CURRENT manga designs, but I think Fujishima's designs were better about 10 vols. back and I prefer some of the previous designs. The ONLY "downside" I had on the first season is that for a few parts of it, it's basically the THIRD iteration thru that part of the story: #1, manga, #2, OVAs, #3 TV series, so in some ways I almost wish they'd picked up from right after OVA 3 or something (since OVAs 4 & 5 are a little more of a closing "arc") but I understand why they didn't and for completeness sake I like them going through it. Overall I feel it was a worthy rendition of the story and I'm ready to go buy season 2.

I agree and disagree with you lol. I disagree and think his artwork has improved and I actually liked the character designs for the tv series. Honestly the OVA was just not that great, and as an OMG fanboy it pains me to say that but it really wasn't. If I had my way I'd say use the designs and cast from the movie but that's just me. I do agree though that the story was a bit....tiresome. After reading it, then the OVA, this is almost the third complete telling of the first part of the series. Though they did a great job of it with the tv series so I didn't feel slighted at all and I actually prefer they go back and start from scratch. That way they can get it right from the start. I am hoping I get volumes 1 & 2+plus artbox, for my birthday next month from my gf. I am looking very forward to seeing my second favorite Goddess, Peorth, get animated for the first time. Anime catgrin
Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to the Ah! Megami-sama series...I love the manga best...

Because the manga has more depth to it's characters and it is longer :)

But, the OAV and TV series are nice as well.

I would have to say I was a bit disappointed that Peorth wasn't in the first season...so just like the last poster I'm very happy to know that she is in the second season and looking forward to getting the DVDs...
Caldron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Peorth ftw Smile

My favourite char is undoubtely peorth. It is somewhat painful that she wasn't showing her real self in the movie. But her sorezore no tsubasa episodes were really the best of all the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I really like the franchise as well so far I've seen the first TV series, 3 discs of season 2, and the film. All great stuff and I'm really looking forward to filling the empty space in my season 2 artbox and completing it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I too prefer the manga best, and the OVA second best. I like the TV-series, but now having seen up to Volume 5 of the discs of the first season I'm noticing that even tough it is following the manga, it isn't in the chronological order of that manga. It's all higglety-pigglety. spoiler[Also I found that scene of them both inside a Christian church a bit disturbing. Not the situation where they were hugging and Bell was trying to get K1 to finally say the words she has longed to hear. No, what made me feel uncomfortable was the cut away to the close up of Jesus on the cross, when K1 is expressing his concerns that Bell could be called back to heaven by "the almighty". I said "er, are you trying to imply that Jesus and Bell are somehow related with that?"

I know well enough that this is a Japanese production and Japan is not predominately Christian, though there are Japanese Christians living there with active churches. I also know there is only God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit, but there are no goddesses in the Christian faith, so if this was based on a Christian faith Bell and her sisters would be called "angels", except for Urd.

It's probably the Catholic in me that saw the implication of a story based loosely on an ancient pagan norse religion being somehow related to my religion that I have been taught and believe as true. ]
I don't know what religion Mr. Fujishima practices, if any, but I'll hazard a guess he might be a part of the Sinto-Buddhist majority and if so, it's all pagan to him.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
In fact the very idea of multiple gods/goddesses is basically outlawed by the first commandment. Doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out the series though, then again I'm agnostic so that's not a surprise.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I really like the franchise as well so far I've seen the first TV series, 3 discs of season 2, and the film. All great stuff and I'm really looking forward to filling the empty space in my season 2 artbox and completing it.

I think the movie was the best showing for OMG as an anime. The old OVA's were nice, and the tv show is very good and doing a fine job of sticking close to the manga. The movie though was truly all about Bell and Kei's relationship and the lvoe they share. The most touching moment was when spoiler[they walked through the gate together hand in hand. Very touching.]

I will say though the manga is my favorite and holds a special place in my collection being the first manga I ever bought and one of the catalysts for my anime hobby period. I mean there's plenty of titles similar honestly in plot but there's just always been something about OMG that just held it above the rest in my opinion. Hard to say what it really is honestly.

Regardless the tv series is doing a good job of sticking close to the manga so I'm enjoying filling out my second art box for the series. I hope and bet there will be more and can't wait til fill a 3rd, 4th, or 10th box. Very Happy
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
In fact the very idea of multiple gods/goddesses is basically outlawed by the first commandment.

Seeing various religious discussion on the Internet, that one-god concept is stemming some very fundamental problems. Especially in this modern world of ours, not everyone agrees to the one-god concept -- or -- the concept of gods in general. Disagreements of such has been blowing a lot of hot air, particularly in the past century.

And so, AMG has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. I'll take a goddess over a god anyday. Twisted Evil
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Just checked that OVA side-story thingy. The last AMG thing that I watched seriously was likely the movie back when it was new. I just kind of had a passing interest in it since then. Or rather, I guess I got burned out on it and it's seeming endlessness.

Regarding this new addition, spoiler[Basically, the dude wasn't metal enough for his love so he brought a trio of Scandanavian chicks with him. That's a very solid plan.]
Morisummer500

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
First off, Rikka's coins in Love, Chuunibyo were named after the AMG goddesses. Second, Belldandy raced too, she was like a racing goddess! (The goddess of racing) The early manga was drawn differently too, the anime used the later manga style, whic I thought
looked better. Urd was also more devious in the manga it seemed to me, a lot funner too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2