• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Fine Old Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
While I admit the title of Vampire Knight is kinda corny, I enjoy both the art and the storyline. It's possibly because I refuse to read Anne Rice's vampire works, because I just can't stand her. So I'm not burnt out on this genre yet. To each his own, right?
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
Part of what makes Hayate a gem is it's offball story.
It's a good manga.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Taiwanese manhuaga?! Ok, more like Taiwanese-American American-and-OEL comic artist. But yeay, Taiwan represent. I hope we can get some more Taiwanese manhua in the states; it's like the only stuff here is I-Huan.

I... I totally agree with the Vampire Knight review. It's sad because ALL OF MY FRIENDS LOVE IT. Personally, Hino Matsuri scared the pants off of me after Marchem Prince, and the whole tragic pasts + carbon-copy cute heroine + REALLY HOT GUYS + VAMPIRES of all things just turns me off.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
This is interesting, Hayate falls off the charts (D+?) when the most popular character (according to 2 and 4chan) starts getting more screen time (Hinagiku)?
maichips

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm glad I stopped collecting Hayate. It seems I chose correctly.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Vampire Knights is ok, and I use that ok very loosely. I love vampires, whether it be books or anime, so I had high expectations. The art, to me is pretty spoiler[The way Zero looked during the whole drinking Yuki's blood scene...oh so hot] but the story line, as people have said, very generic. I bought the first vol, and did think about buying the next one, because I felt it deserve more of a chance but then the anime was announced and I defiantly decided against that idea.

By the way Model went against the one rule in my book when it came to vampires that made me stop buying the series @ vol 3 when I heard about it spoiler[She falls for the PRETTY ONE?! When the HOT one likes her? You don't fall for the pretty, feminine vampire o.O ]
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Whaaa!! I also had no idea Jo Chen's old comic was finally being brought over here in English! I've been wanting to read that comic for YEARS, solely because I absolutely adore her artwork! Anime hyper Waagghhh that makes me happy!

One of these days I'm really need to check out Sugar Sugar Rune..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
Compared to the other shoujo vampire-themed manga available in English like Vampire Game, Model (ok, it's manhwa, but yeah), and Millenium Snow (am I missing any?), I think Vampire Knight does the best job with the vampires = eroticism elements.

Would Trinity Blood be included here? I'm not sure it is shojo. I know Vampire D isn't, but that's the best vampire work (as a novel I have yet to check out the graphic novel).

I happen to agree. Vampire Knight is good for a shojo vampire work. After all it is shojo so pretty boys are a must just as much as angst is (does that qualify as a sentence?). But it is hard to tell characters apart at times. Still I think it's fun. It has a manga reading vampire!

So Zombie-Loan is the same idea repeated? I was thinking about checking this one out, but maybe some in-store reading is in order first.
Nekokitty64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Your review of Vampire Knight made me lol because it's so true, yet I still enjoy it. I haven't bought volume 1 yet though, I've just been reading it in Shojo Beat. It's probably why, tho.
And I have a friend who's obsessed with it, I wonder what she'll say about it.....

Meh, I'm still willing to give Zombie-Loan a chance. And that's probably never had any interest in Hayate.

The Good Witch of the West and The Other side of the Mirror look really good, I'll have to check those out next time I go to the bookstore.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more on the Vampire Knight review. I do read it, and the story isn't that bad (as vampire series go, there is much much worse *cough* Trinity Blood *cough*).

But dead on about the art. It's not like I'm new to shoujo, but the art makes it incredibly difficult to follow. I'll pick up a new release, and then have no idea who any of the side characters are anymore. They all look kind of the same, and they certainly aren't going to reintroduce them everytime.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Awwww I love Vampire Knight. It's too cute.

But I wanted to thank you for your World Manga write-ups. You've turned me on to some great books there, and I'm really looking forward to this next one. Please keeping writing that section. :)

(Oh, and thanks for the review of the Good Witch of the West novel too! I was really curious about that one. I'm going to buy it now.)
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight starts off kinda weak, I'll give you that, but overall, I've found it to be pretty enjoyable. And this is coming from someone who is actually not a vampire fangirl. I usually don't care for vampire stories at all. And I like the art work in it. Vampire Knight is much better than Matsuri Hino's other series MeruPuri. That one was ok until she just kinda gave up on the story at the end. I was so disappointed w/that one that I sold it on eBay.

I've read a little of Sugar Sugar Rune and enjoyed it. Really need to work on collecting that one. It seems like I've heard that it's finished in Japan, but how many books long is it?
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you about Vampire Knight. I was really disapointed in it - especially after reading the excellent MeruPuri by the same author.

Despite it's many short-comings, Vampire Knight seems to be really popular. I have a strong feeling it will just be a passing fad, and people will move on to the next cool thing once it's out.
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ooh! Other Side of the Mirror! Definitely going to buy, if just for the chance to see an entire book of Jo Chen's work. I adore her Runaways covers.
I heard her speak at AUSA, and apparently she had it published when she was seventeen, before she moved here, which could explain some of the TV/Movie cliches.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I love the hell out of Hayate. I can't even begin to tell where you're coming from with that review.
A few more volumes down the line it does shift focus towards more romantic comedy plots, and away from the random nutty stuff, but it never stops being funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3