• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network's 24/7 Linear Service Discontinued

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
The linear version was too disorganized. VOD look more their style and it something that fans like.

I've never seen the linear version, but it couldn't be worse than how poorly they handle VOD. Through Time Warner (and I imagine everywhere else) they constantly put shows in the wrong block, constantly skip episodes, will often remove a new episode after one week but leave an older episode for several weeks, appear to be doing a full run and then just stop a few episodes short, and now they've cut us down from four blocks to three. It's a frustrating mass of random shows that IMO is in need of a mercy killing. Their best block was the Bento Beat Box which was a nice mix of Asian music videos, anime trailers, short previews, and con reports before being reduced to a comedy block (which had some episodes of the same shows in other blocks Rolling Eyes ) before being removed completely.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jel123

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
No they won't. If people are only using the service to watch episodes, hence the comment that if they don't get it fixed people can't see the episodes in the middle they've missed, then it isn't translating into sales (same problem they say they have with fansubs). For folks who are buying the dvds, the site not working is only a minor inconvenience and doesn't really make that much of a difference.
I reject the theory that the only way to make money on anime is to sell DVDs. Certainly DVDs do give the highest profit margin but there are other ways to realize revenue. I'm sure [AS], SciFi, and the other cable channels aren't getting Naruto, Noein, etc. for free. Also what does this have to do with fansubs? -- Anime Network Online isn't giving away content. They are providing it with ads the same way the cable channels do.

Crawly wrote:
However, if people are only watching the shows and not putting any money into the titles themselves, then it's still a losing situation. A small bit of ad revenue (are they real ads and/or banner ads that have to be clicked on that they're getting paid for or are they just trailers for their own shows?) isn't going to change that in the long run.
Without knowing how much they are making off the advertisements you can't really say that. In addition to the banner/sidebar ads there are real (insurance, credit help, cell phone, etc.) commercials at the start, middle, and end of each episode. I'm sure they are able to track how many times each ad is seen (you can't skip them) and report it back to the client. Maybe someone at ANN is at liberty to say, in general terms, how their ad on Anime Network Online is setup (per view, flat rate, etc.).

To me this isn't much different than watching anime on TV just much more convenient. Too bad the powers that be (whoever that is) are afraid to allow a full run of all series online.

That said I don't think the technology is quite there yet, I am only able to get an episode to start playing 40-50% of the time. And I have to sit through the first commercial to find out if the ep is going to play;-(
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I think I still have video on demand.

However, I honestly don't find the need for an all anime channel, I don't know why... >.>; Maybe because I don't watch it that often as I used to.

Anywho, has people really stopped watching anime on TV and now on computers?

Well, I can't say that...people do burn it to CDs and watch it on TV.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'm sick of staring at a little computer screen to watch my show, when there's a big TV in front of me.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
i live in IL and i never got the anime network. The only way i can get the channel on demand is if i subscribe to with a more expensive package. comcast is already charging me $85 for one step above basic cable so there no way in hell i would pay more for more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MageofFire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
I agree with jel123's first point about companies making revenue in other ways. I don't buy dvd's on a regular basis (due to not having the money or not finding them) but I buy manga and figurines and the odd OST.

Even though this serice is gone those in teh states still have more options to watch anime on cable unlike here in Canada. We have YTV and that's it.
I do watch anime on tv if it has decent dub/editing (if any) but I mostly stick to what I have on my computer.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
I have Verizon FiOS at home, and we don't even get TAN on-demand, much less the actual channel. I once looked up the other digital services in our area, and both DirecTV and Comcast didn't offer the linear service either, so I have no idea who actually got to see the thing.
DarkCntry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
dmanjdb wrote:
The linear version was too disorganized. VOD look more their style and it something that fans like.

I've never seen the linear version, but it couldn't be worse than how poorly they handle VOD. Through Time Warner (and I imagine everywhere else) they constantly put shows in the wrong block, constantly skip episodes, will often remove a new episode after one week but leave an older episode for several weeks, appear to be doing a full run and then just stop a few episodes short, and now they've cut us down from four blocks to three. It's a frustrating mass of random shows that IMO is in need of a mercy killing. Their best block was the Bento Beat Box which was a nice mix of Asian music videos, anime trailers, short previews, and con reports before being reduced to a comedy block (which had some episodes of the same shows in other blocks Rolling Eyes ) before being removed completely.

Emerje

It should be known, that ADV has little in the way in how long episodes will stay in the rotation, how many episodes they can have, and most of the other problems you listed there...these all fall on the provider's end of the spectrum. I should know, working with ADV over Comcast's original VOD offering was a chore. Hell, thanks to most providers, ADV is being relegated to pushing more SVOD instead of the free offerings because they cannot keep up with the costs.
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
dmanjdb wrote:

Emerje

I used to have the VOD through my cable provider (I don't anymore, nothing against it, I just had other financial priorities), but I don't remember any kind of problems like that. The episodes would stay up for a good amount of time and I don't remember any of them disappearing out of order, stopping short, or other errors like that. Maybe it had something to do with your cable provider (I don't know how the VOD works with each provider so I'm just guessing there).

tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think I still have video on demand.

However, I honestly don't find the need for an all anime channel, I don't know why... >.>; Maybe because I don't watch it that often as I used to.

Anywho, has people really stopped watching anime on TV and now on computers?

Well, I can't say that...people do burn it to CDs and watch it on TV.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'm sick of staring at a little computer screen to watch my show, when there's a big TV in front of me.

I'm the same way. That is exactly why I prefer the getting the DVDs. I'm pretty picky about video quality and can't stand the quality of streaming video (though it has gotten better) or most fansubs for that reason. I prefer getting the DVDs, wathing it in high quality video and sound (I know I know, not every DVD is perfect) on my MUCH bigger TV (compared to my monitor) and sitting in my really comfy recliner. Having to watch anime on my computer screen hurts my eyes after awhile since I have to sit so much closer to my screen (and although I have a comfy computer chair, its no match for my recliner) Razz

Anyway I'm getting off topic, I never did see their linear channel, but I thought they were doing good with the VOD so this isn't a surprise. And I too wish they would get their streaming player (despite how I don't like streaming video) to work, because I really wanted to preview Gurren Lagann, but I can't get the player to work for the life of me... it keeps freezing after the first ad before the video even starts so I never see any episodes. Grrr....
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Delete

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
DClark wrote:
ADV wins for selling a product, Anime Network wins for getting ad revenue, and I win for finding a movie that I enjoyed.

That's great that you found a movie you liked. However, did you know that ADV Owns The Anime Network? TAN didn't get much money from ADV Films for the ad, if any. It's more like you move a couple of dollars from your pocket to your wallet, then open your wallet & say "Wow! I have 2 more dollars than I did before." No, you shifted money that was still yours.
TAN Online is making ad money from 3rd-party people like ANN.com & their "N00b" ads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
davidlaw1985 wrote:
I was surprised to learn about propeller TV also running an anime slot, in th UK we haev only just recently caught a dedicated channel (and all it plays currently is bleach) but it was very hard to find out about other channels running it, I had never given propeller a thought before as it was a nameless channel.
Of course I am now sad that they are stopping the service, dag.
Anime Central, Sky channel 199. There, you can't see you didn't know now. We in the UK, who have a Sky box and dish, watched ANUK religously and we are very upset that it folded up without so much as a "thanks for everything". We just showed up to a vacant lot. Be thankful that you in the US still have their VOD service as we are obviously not worthy. Nice of Ledford and Greenfield to keep their fans and customers informed of their plans and new services. ADV must have grown into such a big corporation to treat their customers like one.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
Linear is out, on Demand (via Sprint, Cable, and the interweb) is in.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Linear is out, on Demand (via Sprint, Cable, and the interweb) is in.
For some.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
MageofFire wrote:

Even though this service is gone those in teh states still have more options to watch anime on cable unlike here in Canada. We have YTV and that's it.
I do watch anime on tv if it has decent dub/editing (if any) but I mostly stick to what I have on my computer.

Actually, we have more than YTV airing Anime in Canada. We have G4 that has been airing anime religiously since 2006, however, since their block was a Geneon Sponsored Block(And all shows aired, are Geneon shows) it is unknown what will happen after the current slate of programming is over due to the status of Geneon. We also have Razer that has been airing anime for a while now, they've aired Basilisk, Trinity Blood, Samurai Seven, Samuari Champloo(Heck once it aired in Japanese... seriously), Cowboy Bebop, and are currently airing Shin-Chan, although now it's owned by the media conglomerate, known as, CTV Globemedia it's "Anime Kamikaze" block is in question aswell, although, mostly likely will live.

Ofcourse, we've also had MuchMusic airing BECK last year(Infact, it was almost over by the time the first volume was out on DVD), but they haven't aired anything anime related since(Which is a shame, because they should air Interstellar 5555, since it's a movie by a band, and not their sad excuses of movies), although they've aired their own shorts series, called "Pop Riders" which is so Speed Racer influenced it's scary. Although, with NANA on the way it may be a future series for Much.And now, Teletoon has actually aired AKIRA(Friday, and Last Night), and will continue airing anime Movies for the next 3 weeks.

Heck, maybe we'll have our own Anime Channel soon, as YTV was given permession by the CRTC to create a channel called, "The Anime Channel". And YTV has it's own "Anime On Demand" service aswell(Only available to Rogers customers however).

[quote=Beatdigga]Linear is out, on Demand (via Sprint, Cable, and the interweb) is in.[/quote]

I think the Anime industry would hope not. Because if that is true, that means that the anime industry would never get new fans in, because the only ones that are going to the Anime VOD sections, are usually going to be only anime fans, the same with the websites. I know I didn't get into Anime because of either, I got into anime because of Television broadcasts of shows that when I was channel surfing, caught my interest.

The death of Linear TAN, has absolutely no bearings on me, because it's hard to get in Canada(although, it can be done, apparently). However, I am sad though, because that is one less channel attracting more people to anime.
DClark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
DClark wrote:
ADV wins for selling a product, Anime Network wins for getting ad revenue, and I win for finding a movie that I enjoyed.

That's great that you found a movie you liked. However, did you know that ADV Owns The Anime Network? TAN didn't get much money from ADV Films for the ad, if any. It's more like you move a couple of dollars from your pocket to your wallet, then open your wallet & say "Wow! I have 2 more dollars than I did before." No, you shifted money that was still yours.
TAN Online is making ad money from 3rd-party people like ANN.com & their "N00b" ads.

They're still two different business entities with two different bottom lines. You're missing the point that had I not seen the ad in a timely fashion I might never have bought the movie. It wasn't moving around money, it was me giving London Drugs twenty bucks for the retail sale, ADV getting whatever they get for wholesale, and the Anime Network getting whatever they get for me clicking through the links to check out the movie website to see whether I want to get it. Had I not seen the ad the twenty bucks would still be in my wallet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3