• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's definitely a mistake to assume that the reason why there isn't a better representation of anime on Adult Swim is because the folk at AS simply hate it. Sure, Kim Manning and Mike Lazzo haven't done too many favors for the anime fandom in the U.S., but that AS even airs any anime, considering the usual demographic's preference for "comedies" made on a nine-cent budget that get huge ratings (because said demographic is self-medicating), I would say it's a miracle that there's any anime on it at all anymore. Don't assume that AS watchers have the same taste you do.

They prefer Tim and Eric projects.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a little vomit in my mouth reading what I just typed.

What next, that you insinuate that Manning is getting her rocks off from Tim and Eric?
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
speaking of the fact " how long should I wait before considering a show unlicensed for eternity" what really would be a good amount of time before a show could be considered hopeless for US release. I actually think about this from time to time and somehow I also came up with a 5 year mark, but then their is to heart and rightstuf so I don't know.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
Adult Swim originals and Family Guy aren't what I look for in comedy. More of a Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, Freakazoid guy. Most anime comedies I've seen that made me laugh were dubbed in Tagalog. Not so much with English dubs.

I'd love to get legit English-translated DVDs of Yamamoto Yohko TV, but from what I've heard the Right Stuf OVA DVD sold so poorly that there's not much chance of anyone licensing the TV series. Maybe a sub-only boxset.
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One thing I don't get about people who incessantly upload anime to Youtube, especially popular licensed stuff that gets removed and then they dilligently go back and reupload it. What's the reward?

If you're actually curious, here are some answers I see:

-You know the kind of pity or sympathy you have for people who don't have enough to eat? Some people have that for people who lack for easy-access anime.

-All the time, people tell you "you may not take this without permission," even though you want it. And you accept that they're right, but it irks you all the same. So you give something away you have out of spite, so that someone can take it without permission, even if it's not you.

-Stickin it to The Man, the Man in this case being Youtube and the producers.

-A feeling that if you re-upload your stuff, other people will re-upload stuff you don't have and haven't seen, so you'll make out in the end.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
To the Answerfan that wondered if Japanese people really freeze when they see a foreigner -- They don't. Not all of them. Maybe in the countryside, but in the cities nobody cares.
If you come up to them every now and then the reaction will be obvious fright that you're about to start speaking English and they won't know how to respond, but (if) when you start speaking Japanese they instantly relax. Smile Or they're just confused. It's not like every Japanese person reacts the same, just like with Americans or anyone else!

And so much for coherency in many of those responses, sheesh.

Top Gun wrote:
I don't want to learn Japanese, I have no real desire to ever visit Japan, and little irritates me more than those who insert random Japanese words into their sentences in the interest of feeling "more Japanese." I am a person who happens to be a fan of anime; I am not an "otaku." That is all. Razz

Let's also not assume that all anime fans with interest in Japanese culture are crazy otaku that insert random Japanese into their speech, please. You put those first two examples a bit too close to the third one and I couldn't help but get annoyingly defensive. Wink

I would never consider myself "otaku", but I'm sitting here in a house in Japan after my day at college taking an advanced Japanese class. I like anime, but I'm not watching any currently because I'd rather be off playing video games, listening to music, or taking a walk to explore the area. Nearly all of the anime I've watched here have been the staples like Sazae-san, Doraemon, and Chibi Maruko-chan, which my 60 year old host parents watch as well because they grew up with them. But they barely know what current anime are because it's not THAT much a part of the culture. My host mom thought Spongebob was Japanese and that Pokemon was an American cartoon.

The mere fact that I'm here has me feeling more and more cynical about anime fan culture, because 99% of the time the response to hearing that I'm in Japan is some spaz about anime and how awesome it must be to live in Japan. I was interested in Japan when I was in 2nd grade -- the anime interest came 4 years later! It's a beautiful country, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows and it's far from some anime paradise. I wish more people would realize that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I have to say, I'm surprised that there wasn't a single person who said they were not interested in Japanese culture.

That's only natural; people who are interested are more likely to write responses and elaborate on them in ways that are worth printing. It's harder to frame a negative answer that goes much beyond "No, not really," or to care enough about a topic that doesn't interest you to answer in the first place. (There are topics where the negative answer evokes at least as much passion as the positive one, but this isn't one of them. Last week's question about facing ridicule for being an anime fan was also in this category.)
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I don't want to learn Japanese, I have no real desire to ever visit Japan, and little irritates me more than those who insert random Japanese words into their sentences in the interest of feeling "more Japanese." I am a person who happens to be a fan of anime; I am not an "otaku." That is all.

That very neatly sums up how I feel about things too. Well said.

I find it particularly irksome that some of the most rabid Japanophiles haven't yet learnt to properly speak their own language or grasp the finer points of their own culture and history yet.

Michi wrote:
Let's also not assume that all anime fans with interest in Japanese culture are crazy otaku that insert random Japanese into their speech, please. You put those first two examples a bit too close to the third one and I couldn't help but get annoyingly defensive.

I would never consider myself "otaku", but I'm sitting here in a house in Japan after my day at college taking an advanced Japanese class. I like anime, but I'm not watching any currently because I'd rather be off playing video games, listening to music, or taking a walk to explore the area. Nearly all of the anime I've watched here have been the staples like Sazae-san, Doraemon, and Chibi Maruko-chan, which my 60 year old host parents watch as well because they grew up with them. But they barely know what current anime are because it's not THAT much a part of the culture. My host mom thought Spongebob was Japanese and that Pokemon was an American cartoon.

The mere fact that I'm here has me feeling more and more cynical about anime fan culture, because 99% of the time the response to hearing that I'm in Japan is some spaz about anime and how awesome it must be to live in Japan. I was interested in Japan when I was in 2nd grade -- the anime interest came 4 years later! It's a beautiful country, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows and it's far from some anime paradise. I wish more people would realize that.

That's a fair point. Then again, that 99% response you mentioned does indicate that you are a refreshing exception to the rule. Wink
Ceredonia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I completely agree on the types of burnout. I started watching anime when I was really young, about nine or ten years old, and since then I've progressed through obsession (mostly junior high and high school), slight burnout, and now I hardly get excited over any anime at all. My husband and I are only collecting about three shows (used to be way more) and I barely keep up on the new stuff anymore, just enough to know what's coming out so I can tell the anime renters about what's new every week. But its not a bad thing, I don't regret loving anime in the past--I've just realized there's way more to life than anime. Smile And I'm not getting rid of my stuff I've amassed over the years, hehe. Too many memories. Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Concerning the Youtube fellow, I'd probably lean more towards 10 years than 5. I can understand uploading Rose of Versailles and Akazukin Chacha, which will never ever see the light of day stateside, but Fullmetal Alchemist? Chrono Crusade? Read or Die? I'd hardly call them aged.

(By which I mean "anime of that era", not those titles in particular, since all of those (I think) have been licensed and released here.)
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They prefer Tim and Eric projects.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a little vomit in my mouth reading what I just typed.

I'm not the only one! Why is AS putting out such low grade garbage? It guess it is original, but that doesn't make it better. Sometimes I can't even watch the previews. I don't particularly care for it, but at least Metalopolis (spelling questionable) or whatever the show is with Zander Cruise (spelling questionable) doesn't make me quesy when it airs previews. The things I, and I'm sure others, go through to watch Death Note.

Lastly, awwww! The kitty-cat and bunny is too cute!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

-You know the kind of pity or sympathy you have for people who don't have enough to eat? Some people have that for people who lack for easy-access anime.

This makes me ill.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
The question about Japanese people freezing up when they see foreigners makes me laugh.
My roommate lived in Japan for two years, and she said that she was frequently approached by Japanese men wanting to know if she was Russian. Apparantly asking a foreign girl if she is Russian is code for "Are you a prostitute?"
My roommate would very politely inform them that she was very sorry, but no, she was not Russian, at which point she would be asked "Oh...well, do you speak Russian?"
This happened to a friend of hers, who only knew one or two words of Japanese. My roommate explained to her what the man was asking, at which point, the friend used her limited Japanese vocabulary "HENTAI!"

The American comedy vs anime comedies, I immediately thought American comedies all the way.
But then I remembered horrible shows like 2 1/2 Men, or those 'comedies' they've been airing on Adult Swim, and now I'm really not so sure.
There are some really funny anime out there like Azumanga Daioh, Ebichu, or Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei, but there are some American shows that blow those out of the water. Older episodes of the Simpsons, Arrested Development, Kenny Vs. Spenny (although that's Canadian, go us!), or South Park are all examples. Sometimes while watching these shows, I've laughed so hard that I started to feel nauseous. I don't think I've ever seen an anime that funny.
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
A lot of Adult Swim's rips at their anime fans are funny. Like Zac said, you have to be able to laugh at yourself. That said, it would be nice to see more rips of Adult Swim's comedy fans as well. Given, the anime fans are an easier target, but just for some sort of balance at least. Besides, why make fun of only one group if you can go ahead and make fun of all of them?

As for the youtube guy, while putting anime up on youtube may not be the most respectable practice, I get the concept of subbing older series that won't be licensed and brought over to the states. It's only natural that the US anime market won't license every anime ever made. That would cost them way too much. The day companies put their back catalog of titles online for subscription or ad fees will me nice, maybe something similar to Marvel slowly putting its back catalog of comics on its subscription service to read online, will be nice when it comes, but that's still probably a ways off.
condorfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ceredonia wrote:
I completely agree on the types of burnout.... I don't regret loving anime in the past--I've just realized there's way more to life than anime. Smile And I'm not getting rid of my stuff I've amassed over the years, hehe. Too many memories. Smile

Very similar feelings here... did the obsession thing, did the whoa-look-at-all-the-new-stuff-coming-over thing, did the con thing, got married (to another anime fan who had even more stuff than I did Smile ), had a kid... although that last was more of an energy-sapping 'burnout' than anything else. We've both scaled back on what we collect and what we watch, but we're still interested in anime and have gotten our daughter (now 7) into a few age-appropriate shows.
Yeah, we're not getting rid of a lot of our stuff either... mostly because it can't be gotten otherwise. Smile
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
OneHotAlchemist wrote:
One of the things Greg Ayres will mention is just how much Adult Swim hates anime.

When a few of the english voice actors for a certain series (himself included) were brought on a tour of Adult Swim offices, they were given T-Shirts which all said "Anime is Teh Suck".

Yes, they gave those shirts to people who work in the anime industry. As far as I'm concerned, I will never watch anime on Adult Swim. Ever.

...I take it you don't know much about the general Adult Swim culture, then. Very Happy The line "anime is teh s uck" originated very early on in the history of the [as] message board, and it grew to become a rather pervasive meme over there that lives to this day.

I still own that t-shirt. That message board used to be so much fun.

I may as well put myself in the minority here and voice my support for Tim and Eric. Their humor leaves no middle ground; it's either your cup o' tea or it's a cup of urine.

Personally, I think they're brilliant, and they earn my respect for exploring discomfort and brutal honesty as comedy. As an improviser, that's an essential tool that the best performers tap in to.

And they obviously get ratings, as they've made the jump from TGTTM to T&EASGJ and T&ENL, and Williams Street wants them to keep making more content for both [as] and Super Deluxe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5