• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I think a Best Couple tournament could get kind of iffy; I'd be supportive of it if there was some sort of system in place to restrict it to canon couples, and not just SasuNaru oooh they luv is so pure!!!11!!!!eleven!

...Wait, what am I saying, this is ANN. Nevermind :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that we should not even consider a Best Anime contest. As others have said, we essentially have that already with our anime/manga ranking system in the Encyclopedia, but I'm actually more concerned (and with a lot of justification, I think) that many voters would not bother to distinguish between "best" and "favorite."

Of the ideas that have been suggested so far, I like the Best Couple idea the most. I don't think we'd even need to qualify what specifically constitutes a "couple," as the ones that either would be a stretch to call a couple or just don't work would be weeded out early. All we'd have to clarify is that the contest would specifically not be limited to just opposite-gender couples.

Perhaps more importantly, I feel confident we could put together a big enough field of competitors. It is also a very discussion-conducive topic that periodically comes up in the forums anyway. (That would be the biggest problem with a "Best-Looking Character" contest or something similar: not much room for making constructive comments.)

The only other idea I can see working would be something like a "Best Action Hero/Heroine" contest. I would be very curious to see who might actually win that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'd be supportive of it if there was some sort of system in place to restrict it to canon couples, and not just SasuNaru oooh they luv is so pure!!!11!!!!eleven!

Oh, it would definitely be canon. Things like SasuNaru would be eliminated in the character match-ups brainstorm anyways. Basically what Key said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
If we do a best couple I think one important distinction to be made is the 2 have to be a real couple. Not an Inu Yasha and Kagome type but a real full blown couple. Like Holland and Talho for example. I also would say it should not be limited to opposite sexes but allow for same sex couples as well.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
If we do a best couple I think one important distinction to be made is the 2 have to be a real couple. Not an Inu Yasha and Kagome type but a real full blown couple. Like Holland and Talho for example. I also would say it should not be limited to opposite sexes but allow for same sex couples as well.

Wait, what about couples that have gone past the romantic tension stage and are pretty much assumed, like Utena and Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Mustang and Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist? There's no real "Yeah, we're a couple" statement with either of them, but after a certain point there's very little debate over romantic involvement.

I like the idea of allowing friend pairings as well, or brother/sister relationships.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
how bout we flip the whole thing on it's head and do worst couple
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
how bout we flip the whole thing on it's head and do worst couple

But why would someone want a bad couple to win? I certainly wouldn't be as enthusiastic voting for the worst whatever... Confused
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I like best couple (as I am a sucker for the genre). Either that or best cast of characters, because I believe that is just important in the success of a series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
I like the Best Couple idea myself.

While there seem to be a fairly large consensus on that idea may I suggest, that since there has been a Moe Contest, perhaps a Bishshonen Contest? Embarassed
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
I want to join too! I would like to suggest, Best Male Character and Female Character. They don't have to be from the same anime.

But I also like the idea of Best Couple.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I was going to suggest: cutest mascot character; but it looks like best couple seems to be the run-away favorite.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Best Romantic Couple

Best Friends

Best Team/Teamwork

Best Comedy Duo

Best Hero w/ Sidekick

Perhaps we should consider from this perspective, which kind of couple we would want, I see romantic would probably be a crowd favorite, though I think we should see how everybody else feels about it. I would be looking towards best couple any way it turns out.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I like the suggestion for best comic relief, we could probably use a tournament for funny characters. I might suggest maybe having a most ditzy (empty-headed) type tournament. Or dumbest character tournament.

I'm with you too on that idea. It could cover match-ups ranging from totally incompetent bad-guys to the classic klutzes. I guess the trick would be ensuring there is some differentiation between a ditz or just plain stupid character tournament and the previously completed crazy character tournament.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
Dumbest character might be one to consider for next time around, and that one could also be interesting.

There seems to be an increasing groundswell of support for a Best Couple contest, however. I say consider that one the front-runner and give another couple of days to see if any other idea catches on as strong.

If we go with Best Couple, I don't agree that it should be limited only to "declared" couples, as some of anime's best couples have never actually openly admitted their feelings to each other. (Sousuke-Kaname from FMP, for instance.) The only qualifier that should be needed is that the source anime has to establish a reasonable basis for calling them a couple. Such a rule would prevent purely hypothetical cases from sneaking in, and would (hopefully) help us avoid junk suggestions like Naruto-Sasuke. (Not that I actually think that would be a major problem here at ANN.) Any pair which meets that qualification but might still be deemed unsuitable could be weeded out in the qualifying discussions.

I would also suggest at least partly seeding the brackets so we don't end up with some ridiculous match-up like Keiichi-Belldandy (from OMG) vs. Aoi-Kaoru (from Ai Yori Aoshi) in an early round.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
So, since it seems to be the most popular idea by far right now, I think the next tournament will be centered around a best two-some (for lack of a better term). Whether that be a couple or some other duo remains to be decided, it seems like.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28