• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kite Liberator DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Hmm...I thought Sawa was going to be in it. I guess I'll have to rent it online, then.

She was in it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Hmm...I thought Sawa was going to be in it. I guess I'll have to rent it online, then.

She was in it.

spoiler[She's the other waitress.] She is in MezzoForte too,though it's only a glimpse.There's also a Mikura PVC in Liberator.spoiler[ It's too bad Liberator ended like it did.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
So that means she's making cameos. That really doesn't make it justifiable, since it's not implied as much.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
bravejaf wrote:
I enjoyed this film till the time ran out. After watching the OVA I went on ANN hoping to find information on a second volume. Sadly there is no second volume, which also means no real ending.

What do you mean a second volume? That was it.

Yes I do know that. However after watching the episode it felt like there should be something more. I felt cheated by that "ending" but at least I only rented it.
Max power

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Funimation showed this movie in theater here in Toronto about two months ago. Needless to say there was a giant groan at the end of the movie.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
So that means she's making cameos. That really doesn't make it justifiable, since it's not implied as much.

If she's who she's implied to be in Liberator, her appearance is far more than a cameo. She's actually one of the major supporting characters.

Mezzo Forte, now that was a cameo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy what little animation scraps Umetsu brings to the table.His next work "Kiss and Cry" won't be around until sometime in 2009.

http://www.accessa.co.jp/produce/kiss.html
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Geez, I knew it was going to be a piece of crap like Mezzo DSA. Umetsu must have suffered from some form of mind alteration (brain damage?) between 1998 and 2004.

You guys are judging both of the series way too hard.I found both this one and mezzo dsa rather enjoyable and i liked their edited version.I simply hated both of their directors cut version cause of the conterversy and it was one that the industry didn't needed.it really pissed off a lot of parents and the us govt so much that the dubs now licensed today had to been severly edited in order to avoid another backlash again.either way,this review is WAY TO HARSH!!! Sure it ain't parfect but for all catagorys it should at least get a B+ in my view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I simply hated both of their directors cut version cause of the conterversy and it was one that the industry didn't needed.it really pissed off a lot of parents and the us govt so much that the dubs now licensed today had to been severly edited in order to avoid another backlash again.

Sorry, don't think you know what you're talking about here. I recall no controversy, no parents or U.S. government getting involves, and dubs now licensed today are definitely not "severely edited" (with rare exceptions). Without sources to cite on these points, your comments lack credence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Umetsu, who is nearly 40 at this point, cut his teeth in the anime industry during the OAV boom of the mid 80s.

Are you sure about this? I see him credited for being a key animator for Barefoot Gen in 1983 which would have made him nearly 15. A couple of years later he was animating the OP/ED for Zeta and working on the Megazone franchise in some really important roles.

I realize that many of these mid 80's directors (Obari was only 19 when he directed Iczer 1) were young but 15-16 seems a little off.

IMDB lists him as 47 years old.
stevek504

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
bravejaf wrote:
I enjoyed this film till the time ran out. After watching the OVA I went on ANN hoping to find information on a second volume. Sadly there is no second volume, which also means no real ending.

Yep. I had to back it up, check the title screen for other episodes, etc. It was like - is the rest of it on this disc or another one? Did my DVD player freeze up? What?

That being said. Kite Liberator was not that bad. An overall grade of "B" feels okay to me, once you get past the ending (or lack of). The whole "Calcium Fortified Daddy" didn't work for me and I would have liked it better if maybe there was a bad accident that left daddy dead and Monaka a bitter / angry teenage assassin. But, I am not paid for my ideas and Umetsu is.

I did like it a little better than the original Kite, but I liked Mezzo DSA better than Mezzo Forte. Maybe I just like my anime a little on the tame side.

And though I would argue that you should see both Mezzo Forte and Mezzo DSA if you want the whole story, that is not the case for Kite / Kite Liberator. I don't think you really need to see both to appreciate each anime completely.

Since I don't own a version of Kite to check this out right now, does anyone know if the maid cafe owner (Rin Gaga) was in Kite and what relationship (if any) he had with Sawa?

Another anime focused on Sawa would be really nice (Sawa, The Lost Years Smile )...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Well I just saw this. My overall impression was as a pure action flick, it was good. His work has always been about style, and this one is no different, I just wish he could have made this one slightly less predictable.

I do hope that a second half does get made though.

I mostly agree with the review, especially the sloppy dub, except for:
Quote:
but 2D is where the piece really shines. The attention to detail and consistency is nothing short of stunning.

I have to disagree with this. While there is no shortage of beautifully detailed scenes, I would say they are anything but a model of consistency. Look no further than the backgrounds in the subway chase scene. It goes from extremely detailed to very simple, and back again. It's like he went from paying attention to every detail to Azumanga Daioh(◄exaggeration). I also saw many inconsistency's to faces. Mostly to ones that were not featured at the moment, but at times it seemed to be as bad that lines were drifting. But mostly backgrounds.

BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

She was in it.

I will throw my hat in and say she was in it as well. And she even played a part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm Reply with quote
After watching half of the stream, then reading the review and then finishing the film I can only ask the question,

"WTF???"

If there was anything to be said here or some hidden message I want to know. I will admit it was entertaining. But yeah it does tackle something from the 80's. I hope that's what it was and that he wasn't just being lazy. But yes "style" is the key to his works. It might seem mish-mosh, but but I'm sure he had some "point" to bring out. It's all about the "art".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2