• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of the Abyss Anime Reportedly in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Tales of the Abyss. I haven't played many of the Tales games, but in comparison to RPGs in general I really liked Abyss - enough to spend many many hours on all the sidequests.

Having said that, I wouldn't expect much of this anime adaptation. I don't need to point further than Xenosaga, another excellent game (trilogy) whose anime version was, frankly speaking, b******t.

The best adaptation that I can recall is probably still Gungrave, and it's easy to see WHY that one worked.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought I had saw some type of trailer for this a few years back, but it must have been for the game...
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This is like that strange power I have where any old song that hasn't gotten radio play in ages will get played the next day if I listen to it on my own. Any game I start to play for an extended period of time from Japan will either get a sequel or an anime adaptation.

Let's just hope they actually put some effort into it. Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia were nothing more then quick cash-ins where the characters just did their things and that was it. Heck Tales of Phantasia started mid story such that it took me, a veteran player of the game at least 5 minutes to actually figure out what was going on and what the characters were doing.

I say take Tales of Eternia's example and do a sidestory set in universe with the game characters and add some new ones to to spice things up. It easily blew away the other 2 Tales adaptations (as in like it was in an entirely different league) not only because it was longer than 4 episodes (and thus there was a chance to actually do something with it) but it was fresh content, and that's something that is not exactly run of the mill in anime inspired by games.
Shikikun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope the anime will be good because I really liked the game (Jade is awesome)
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I figured Abyss would be next..even though it SHOULD be Destiny. Abyss was garbage.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the likelihood of this getting localized can easily be predicted by noting the number of Tales games that haven't been.
vwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'd love this as i'm a big fan of the Tales series...but only if something like a gaiden or a sequel. I don't really need a retelling of the story like the Tales of Symphonia OVAs, I already have the game.

EDIT: Well...I may still be somewhat interested given I remember enjoying Xenosaga the Animation after playing through the game (even though they changed some key parts of the plot). Its nice for those who haven't played the game or want to experience the story again without having to play the game again, but i'd still prefer an addition to the story rather than a retelling.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, more information just emerged.

According to this, Sunrise will be animating it, and it will be directed by Kenji Kodama, and the Character Designs will be by Yoshihito Hishinuma.

Interesting...
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Well, more information just emerged.

According to this, Sunrise will be animating it, and it will be directed by Kenji Kodama, and the Character Designs will be by Yoshihito Hishinuma.

Interesting...

The original source for those Sunrise and staff rumors is Moon Phase Zakki, not Moon Phase itself. Moon Phase Zakki is a board where anonymous posters can post. Those rumors might be true, but there's no backing now.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20080613#p6
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Give this a try:
http://www.amazon.com/Namco-Tales-of-the-Abyss/dp/B000G7X5MM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1213424898&sr=8-1

I keep forgetting that I own this game. I need to play it real soon. I'm a longtime fan of all things Tales, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Just want to thank you for linking to Amazon. For awhile, I was ready to bid on the game with Ebay, but I find Amazon a bit more worth the time than trying to spend it on bidding. Razz Looking forward to playing it sometime next week! ^__^
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
@Unknown Memory

I'm glad I could help. Smile

I've always found that if you can't find something at the store, try Amazon,then try ebay. Unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy my copy as early as next week, but I plan to as soon as I can. I want to play it before I see the anime, assuming it is licensed, that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2