• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, look at Funimation go! However, I hope they don't overload themselves so much that they end up in a bad situation.

However, what do you think this means for ADV? I really hope they continue... I realy hope this isn't the end for them...
DeliciouslySexy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that these shows will be completed, but it really feels like Sojitz/ARM screwed ADV on this one. At least now ADV can focus on doing things their way and not be tied down by contractual messes and corporate wishy-washiness.

I love FUNimation, but I would love to know what part they played in this whole mess.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
The only thing I want out of FUNi is still just Claymore. And if they have to get these ADV and Geneon titles out first, I'll be years before I see a Claymore boxset, and by then, who knows, I may not care to spend the money.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Well the only series I'd be interested in would be Ah My Goddess, but something tells me ADV is about to close like Geneon.

Too bad for ADV, I liked that company.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Now we know what those "replicator issues" were. Wink

GATSU wrote:
I personally think FUNimation's licensed too many titles, and probably will just end up flooding the market, more than doing the industry any favors.

Depends on whether you think the market is currently flooded. Personally, I don't. There are fewer monthly releases of singles than there was a year ago, and low priced box sets are starting to replace singles as the first release method of choice. Also note that the majority of these titles have been released in full. What will happen is that singles will remain available to stores, but over time, box sets will be made available. They're not going to just throw each title out at one time. I wonder if they have the yet to be announced El Cazador...

I'm guessing the production work is done on things like NHK and Kyoshiro, so Funi will more than likely just slap the stuff on discs and get it to retailers. Since Kanon, Kyoshiro, and NHK were all supposed to street already (and Kanon at it's last volume), they'll probably just keep up the singles.

Someone asked "why would they want Sgt Frog?" Answer: Because they can get it on CN. They have connections that ADV didn't, and Funi will make a total mess of the English dub to get it aired. Uncut on dvd, though, in box sets.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is seriously insane.

I don't know whether I like it much or not. Funi doesn't have the best subs or dubs.

I really, REALLY hope they just finish releasing Welcome to the NHK!, which is a title that I really want to get. I've only heard clips of the dub, but it really is great and I want to have the chance to listen to it all. But since I assume the dub work would be finished, I think it would be pretty dumb of Funi to re-dub it when I'm sure it would be much cheaper to use what ADV has (even if they had to pay more for it).
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
DeliciouslySexy wrote:
I'm glad that these shows will be completed, but it really feels like Sojitz/ARM screwed ADV on this one.

I know people feel protective of ADV, but let's be realistic. This was a business partnership, not a loan between friends, with certain terms agreed to by both sides. ADV obviously didn't live up to their end of the agreement, and lord only knows how much money Sojitz lost in the process. So Sojitz did exactly what any company would do when hemorrhaging profits. They got the hell out and went where the money is. It sucks for ADV that they lost so much in the process, and some of it may have been due to unrealistic expectations on the Japanese side of things, but hopefully they've learned from any mistakes they made and they'll be able to dig themselves out of the hole they helped create.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Some of the news over this weekend has made me pretty much give up on anime, at least for now. I've been dreading for a while that we may end up like Australia, where you have one company pretty much running the show. And it's starting to look that R1 is heading that way.

The Geneon deal is one thing, but essentially poaching titles that were in the process of being distributed is another. It seems to me that this deal was intended to do little more than help them corner the anime market, and deal a possibly deadly blow to one of their biggest competitors. Not to mention tear chunks of content from the Anime Network, which has proved itself more than the Funimation Channel.

It also leaves me with the concern that Funi may have too much on it's plate. It's got it's recent licensing spurt, of some titles of questionable quality, the Geneon catalog, and now these ADV/ARM titles. Funimation is not a large corporation, and this is an awful lot for them to digest.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
oh my god!!! funi is really on a roll!!! im surprised! there starting to become my favorite anime distributer!!! Wink but yea im surprised about adv...i mean i really wanted to finish my kanon collection, only 1 vol left!!! and i didn't even see the fansubs and i really want to know what will happen!!! uguuu...it was staring to get good...so yea go funi! but still i dont want adv to become the next geneon attack!!! noooooooo adv please dont leave!!! Crying or Very sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
dragonrider: Agreed. It'll probably take FUNimation forever to (re-)release many of these shows, and they'll probably prioritize the marketable ones over the fan ones. Oh, well, maybe ADV can make a come-back by cutting a deal with CPM...
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
I am grateful to Funimation and now only want to complete the many series I am in the middle of, but like so many others after that I feel I've been burned so often that I will probably only buy completed series from this point on.

I mean Kanon, NHK, Wallflower, Devil May Cry, Kyo Kara Maoh, Karin, Rozen Maiden Traumend, When They Cry, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon 2nd, I've been scorched 10 times already Rolling Eyes
so, yeah, pretty much learned my lesson on how to purchase future anime
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, Funi's been on a licensing roll. Shocked

I'm wondering if they're taking on too much. First, they make a new channel on Youtube. Then, they got a bunch of titles from Geneon. Now this. They would become the saving grace of the anime industry if they can successfully pull all of this off.

I wouldn't say they completely monopolized the anime industry yet though. Viz and Bandai are still major anime distributors and licensors here in America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Wow... Can you say "monopoly"? Shocked

That jumped in my head as well. Viz is still a major healthy contender. I see the NA industry will become 3 major companies, 3 smaller ones (Media blasters, Animeigo, CPM) and a ton of manga companies.

I really don't think ADV will be here anymore by 2010.
Punynari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
O.O

All hail Funimation. If they can pull this off, I will be a very happy man. There is so many series they have now that I'm interested in. Actually, they have ALL the currently licensed titles that I'm interested in. If they get Clannad as well, I won't have to bother with any other anime company but them. Well, maybe Bandai for Haruhi and Lucky Star but thats it.

I personally thought Shuffle!'s dub was brilliant and in many places flowed alot better than the fansub did. Its one of the few dubs which I perfer without hestitation to the original.

Well, Funimation. I look forward to doing lots of business with you. (: Starting with Kanon vol 6 hopefully.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I did not see this coming.
Yesterday I went from 4 incomplete series (Black Lagoon, Karin, Higurashi, Full Moon) being released to (briefly) just 1 with the Geneon deal.
Then back up to 3 (The Wallflower, Shattered Angels, Full Moon) with the ADV news.

Now today it is back at 1. Though time frames are still unknown.
I am a bit flustered and confused. Actually, I think Full Moon may make it out as a box deal eventually, its a great series, but 3 months per disc for a 50ish episode series killed any buzz it had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16