• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Tokyopop Discontinue DVD, Print Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I'm sad to hear about Gokujo Seitokai as I was hoping for a thinpak/boxset release.

At least I see all DVDs have been released, so I can easily pick them up though =)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
I already own 5 Centimeters and Best Student Console (a surprisingly great show by the way), so I'm good.
I already enjpyed Best Student Council, but anime on-demand on my local cable company, stopped airing it 3 episodes before the end so i never got to finish it.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ARGGH!!! Best Student Council?!?!?!
Grrr....
I hope someone else picks this up and releases a thinpack release for it...

THIS BITES!!!
Kakalini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
No Kindaichi? That's sad, it was one of the few series I'm still collecting.
On the plus side, I suppose I can sell my Lagoon Engine manga without feeling like I might be missing something now.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
They were saying stuff like Neo Tokyo was discontinued before, and then ADV put them out in special 2-packs. So I'm wondering if that's really official.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
A user on AoD noticed that 5 cm/s, Best Student Council, and Innocent Venus were among ADV's post-Sojitz licenses and weren't included in Funimation's pickup. So my guess is that ADV lost the licenses for those three shows at the same time that the rest of the licenses got transferred to Funimation.

Are you sure about that? All of those titles except Robotech were part of the ADV shutdown back in January/February. My impression was that all of the titles that were announced then were made through Sojitz. (and wasn't shattered angles licensed after that ordeal - or at least it was announced afterwards - and it was through Sojitz, right?)

Basically the only release ADV has left then is Kurau (which was also on the list back in February, so it might not be long until that goes too)
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted 5 Centimeters Per Second, time to look around and see what I can find before it disappears completely I guess. I was also really enjoying The Queen's Knight, and is it definite that they have cancelled BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (want to read that one so much)?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
No more Kindaichi? Damn. I know it wasn't always a huge seller, but considering Tokyopop did squat to promote it, that's to be expected. And it always got excellent reviews, even in some mainstream non-manga publications. Quite a shame. Now I have no reason to continue supporting them, since all their other series I was following have concluded.
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I guess now is a good time to grab 5 Centimeters Per Second. Let's wish ADV well from here...

None of the discountinued titles from Toykopop concern me. Thank god for that. Wink
Orange_Popsicle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Whew.

Nothing I'm collecting got discontinued. The only title I actually care about on that list was 5 Cms and, luckily, I already own it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
i just hope that they dont cancel the last vol of grenadier
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nooo~ Poor Lagoon Engine. What'll I do without my Sugisaki fix? Sad
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Already got 5cm, BSC and IV so I'm in an awesome place but I feel very badly for those who still haven't gotten them or wanted a thin pack. Time to just break down and get singles if you want them. (Then buy a cheap multi-disc case and print your own cover art so you can still save space.)

And I'm with MARl0, Best Student Council is a surprisingly fun little series. It actually manages to become quite cool as it goes along. Zany and over-the-top but good.

I wonder if these might pop up with Funimation down the road or if they're just gone now.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
Well, if ADV stops distributing "5cm Per Second"...
I guess it means they probably won't pick up future Shinkai titles Sad

Bad news.

Indeed... I really enjoy Makoto Shinkai's work, and the heart he puts into each of his pieces... I'm still a huge "Voices of a Distant Star" junkie.

I wanted more Lagoon Engine to tide me over until Sugisaki finishes DNAngel (If it ever comes off hiatus), and I was starting to enjoy Nosatsu Junkie. Oh well -_-;;
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
i didn't even know ADV had Robotech. i'm surprised they're shelving 5 Centimeters Per Second, given how much promotion they gave it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6