• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Another thing to point out is if different characters say the same line. Spike from cowboybebop wasn't the only character who ever said "bang"

I covered that in my potential rules already. If it's said twice in the same show, ya gotta get the show right and one of the characters that said it. In the case of the example I used, that's the risk in guessing if it sounds like a couple of things. However, the line I used is almost always associated with THAT scene in THAT show, so a few guesses in should have gotten it. If it's really really ambiguous, that's what you have the negate function for. Clearly, my one-word example wasn't.

By the way, I just figured out a sickeningly easy solution to our Google dilemma, which I'll edit into the potential rules: In a guess, you should name the character, the show, and either who the character was aiming the quote at, or a very simple blurb explaining the context of the quote, or both.

So, this would be acceptable:

"The balls are inert."

spoiler[Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, to Gohan and friends]

or if you wanted to be fancy:

spoiler[Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, to Gohan, complaining about starting at square one without Dende.]

Now, if that isn't a simple fix, I don't know what is. Very Happy
goodwin999

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I like JesuOtaku idea

Adding another game wont kill anyone and having 1 tournament/1 game at a time kinda kills the little fun this forum has left. I also think having 1 game at a time is stupid what is wrong with having two or more. Give us a reason to visit these forums more often everything is so bland now.

There are some kinks to work out in the game but I think if the people on the forums agree not to use google and put spoilers on the quotes we will all be fine.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, the forum is there for discussing anime/manga and the site's news of course in the first place. The games are just added fun. If you think it's not interesting enough, you could always go watch some anime.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the flippin' sweet feedback! Very Happy For now, unless someone has an advisory to amending the current rules, I'll have to ask that people not post until I hear back from the few moderators I PM'ed about whether this is viable or lockable, so we can begin it/end it.

(I sincerely hope the answer is yes, though. This game seems like even more fun to me than the picture one, because I lurve da quotes!)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Another thing to point out is if different characters say the same line. Spike from cowboybebop wasn't the only character who ever said "bang"

True, but it took me one 10-second google search to get a page which attributes that quotation to Spike.

Frankly... I like the idea of this game, but I simply don't think it's workable, for several reasons:

1) People are not honorable, as a general rule. Honor is a rare thing these days, and a significant segment of the internet's user corps have a level of morality equivalent to a spoiled five-year-old. If they can cheat, they will. Sure, about 25% (myself included) won't... but where's the fun in being cheated all the time?

2) It would require constant moderation to avoid spoilers, arbitrate cheating, weed out too-general quotations, etc. We simply can't spare the moderation staff.

3) The general attitude among the senior admins here is that the forums (and the Encyclopedia, for that matter) are secondary to the site's primary rôle as a news content provider. Within the forums, the frivolous content (such as the guessing games, tournaments, getting-to-know-you threads, and to a certain extent the recommendation threads) is considered secondary to the primary function of debate and discussion. So, the forum game that is in play, and the tournament, are tolerated, but viewed as "acceptable noise". I doubt the senior admins will accept more "noise".

For these reasons, I think this game is a no-starter. Sorry, JesuOtaku. I think it was a fun idea, but it isn't workable.

Please feel free to kick the idea up to Zac or tempest, however -- there's always a chance that they will overrule me, and I can't say that would displease me.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
The news is this site's primary role? Are you sure that your visitors agree? I for one find the encyclopedia, viewed/wanted anime tracker, and forum discussions much more useful than the news section. That isn't to say that the news and columns are a waste of bandwidth, not at all, just that I use the other functions much more often. The guessing game(s) and contest are sources of recommendations for me too, so I wouldn't dismiss them as 'noise'.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
The news is this site's primary role? Are you sure that your visitors agree? I for one find the encyclopedia, viewed/wanted anime tracker, and forum discussions much more useful than the news section. That isn't to say that the news and columns are a waste of bandwidth, not at all, just that I use the other functions much more often. The guessing game(s) and contest are sources of recommendations for me too, so I wouldn't dismiss them as 'noise'.

It is called Anime News Network. I have to say that I would place far more importance on the front page items, with the rest of the site's content here as supplementary to the news.

The Encyclopedia is really good, though admittedly a lot of this information is available elsewhere, ex Wikipedia. And there are tons of forums to discuss anime (though I find that the rules of this one keep me coming back, because they tend to weed out to internet stupidity quite well).

But this really is my only source of anime and manga-related news, beyond what they print in Shojo Beat (which isn't much). Sure, it's not the only site out there, but it's the only one I go to for that.

So yes, I think it's completely fair and accurate to consider the forum noise. And I agree with abunai overall that the logistics of a quote guessing game online just doesn't quite work (though it is fun in person, we've had entries like this in our anime trivia at Animaritime for years).
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1) People are not honorable, as a general rule. Honor is a rare thing these days, and a significant segment of the internet's user corps have a level of morality equivalent to a spoiled five-year-old. If they can cheat, they will. Sure, about 25% (myself included) won't... but where's the fun in being cheated all the time?

That's probably quite a big problem - it's a lot easier to google a quote than a picture. Maybe if the game was something similarly ungooglable, but all that really leaves is an anime music guessing game. Which might work, but it's generally more difficult to upload and download music than pictures.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
I think the idea of a music game has been discussed before, but it was rejected on the grounds that it might infringe on copyrights.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Tragic, but true. Honestly, though, the change I made to the rule requiring context or the person to whom the quote was aimed should solve the problem. At the very least, it requires a lot more research. You'd have to look up the episode itself, which requires enough effort.

(There are some quote banks that will list this information...but not many. Besides, if it's a quote that common to be listed somewhere like that, it was gonna be easy anyway..)

I honestly don't think this is an issue anymore, no more than the pic thread. The game is still easy, but you do have to try harder, can't just cheat unless you get lucky.

abunai wrote:

2) It would require constant moderation to avoid spoilers, arbitrate cheating, weed out too-general quotations, etc. We simply can't spare the moderation staff.

3) The general attitude among the senior admins here is that the forums (and the Encyclopedia, for that matter) are secondary to the site's primary rôle as a news content provider. Within the forums, the frivolous content (such as the guessing games, tournaments, getting-to-know-you threads, and to a certain extent the recommendation threads) is considered secondary to the primary function of debate and discussion. So, the forum game that is in play, and the tournament, are tolerated, but viewed as "acceptable noise". I doubt the senior admins will accept more "noise".

For these reasons, I think this game is a no-starter. Sorry, JesuOtaku. I think it was a fun idea, but it isn't workable.

Please feel free to kick the idea up to Zac or tempest, however -- there's always a chance that they will overrule me, and I can't say that would displease me.

The second two stipulations, however, are totally valid. Sad

I did throw a PM to tempest, so once he responds to me, I guess we can close the case. Sadness. Well, there was no harm in throwing it out there.

I would like to request, though, that the game at least be given a trial run, to see if it can be user-run, as the pic game is (for the most part.) If moderators have to intervene early on for the reasons you listed, it could be locked and shelved. But I have a little more faith in the ANN population than that. It would be nice to at least give it a trial, and if spoiler issues or flame wars over rules erupt so early on, it will be obvious that the idea won't work.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I think the idea of a music game has been discussed before, but it was rejected on the grounds that it might infringe on copyrights.

Wouldn't the current picture game have the same problem?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess technically yes.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K., in a message to me wrote:

I'm indifferent when it comes to game, tourney, and other incidental list threads (i.e. avatars, what you're watching now, what you just bought, etc.), so do what you want. The format looks good enough.

I think that's a yes. Confused All around, shrugs, indifference, and a few yippees are the feedback I'm getting, soooo...

Eh. Seeing as people are at least "okay" with a trial run, I will start the game OFFICIALLY with a quote tomorrow at 9 AM U.S. Central Time, unless I get a big "no" from the powers that be. From there, we'll see what happens. If it's a bad idea, it will show real quick. In the meantime, I'll polish and refine the rules to reflect the clarity and detail of the picture game's. Sound okay?
braves

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Not really. Pictures, along with avatars, fall under the "fair use" doctrine. Music, on the other hand, is a much more complicated situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Showsni wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

Not really. Pictures, along with avatars, fall under the "fair use" doctrine. Music, on the other hand, is a much more complicated situation.

I don't see a difference, really; fair use needs:

Quote:
the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Since the picture guessing game isn't for "criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research" it's not fair use; or, if it is fair use, so would a music guessing game be, provided the clip wasn't too long (point 3).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 151