• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Pretty Face

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Loooooved this series! So glad I collected it when it came out. I will always hang onto it. I liked the school sports festival arc the best. I liked the ending; in fact it was really pretty good. Sure they could have went darker or made the story longer, but I liked it just fine. This manga is a really great pervy/comedy blend. Not a lot of nudity, alot of panty shots. Very funny series.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
Kind of off-topic, but after reading the article on the manga you enjoyed editing the most, I have to thank you once again for treating Yu-Gi-Oh! with the kind of respect that it never gets. Not from the anime/manga community, not from the guys that did the English versions of all the other bits of the franchise, and these days, not even the Japanese holders. It's one of my favorite series and the reason I love manga so much, but all I ever hear from people is how it's a dumb trading card ad...

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! (Well, the original series; I didn't really get into Yu-Gi-Oh! GX or the other sequels.) It was a big influence on my own series, King of RPGs.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
A question for Jason himself (though I'm not sure if he checks the replies here or not) - I remember the Video Girl Ai review from a long while back, and seeing your comment about enjoying 'perverted' manga, I was wondering if you had read I"s at all and if there was any chance of it ever being covered here? I'd love to see your thoughts on it eventually if so.

Thanks for asking! I like I"s, but it's not one of my all-time favorites like Video Girl Ai is. But I might write about it eventually.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow... really? This manga carries enough nostalgia to it now to have an entry in House of 1000 Manga? Laughing I might've actually ended up reading most (if not all) of this series via scanlation sites before it was released here; it was quite fun. I believe that I actually got my first exposure to it through a one page article about it in one of the earlier issues of the American Shonen Jump... that, or an actual chapter of it in a random 2003 issue of the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump that I got while visiting Brazil to see family. (Man, that issue's almost ten years old now...)

Oh, and I didn't know you were behind the editing of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga! Man, that was truly the biggest hook for me in the early years of the U.S. version magazine (and yeah, I really enjoyed the Millennium World Arc). A little question actually comes to mind about that, actually and maybe all the other manga that was in the magazine overall... and that actually has to do with some of the language content. (This not being relevant to Pretty Face, I'll try to make it short) Being the utterly teenage boy whose main exposure to anime was through what 4kids produced, I was like, "WHOA!" when I saw KidsWB anime characters cursing. But if I remember correctly, sometime around the insane Kaiba Land/ Death-T arc, it seemed to be "toned down" with place-holders like "@#%$" for curses, until curses seemed excised altogether. I understand that Japanese "cursing" isn't quite like English cursing, but still, I remember being a bit upset at the time about it, hah. Never buying individual copies beyond the first two volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh!, was this a magazine-exclusive trend, with the mass-market magazine issues being more "censored" or toned-down in dialogue/visual content than the individual volumes...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
A question for Jason himself (though I'm not sure if he checks the replies here or not) - I remember the Video Girl Ai review from a long while back, and seeing your comment about enjoying 'perverted' manga, I was wondering if you had read I"s at all and if there was any chance of it ever being covered here? I'd love to see your thoughts on it eventually if so.

Thanks for asking! I like I"s, but it's not one of my all-time favorites like Video Girl Ai is. But I might write about it eventually.

I look forward to that day if it comes then. Very Happy I like both, but I much prefer I"s - though my opinion is very well biased I think, as I came across I"s first. I'm a nut for anything Katsura writes though (save for a few of his more out there one-shots...I'm looking at you 'M'...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I love Pretty Face. I first heard of it when Shonen Jump USA did a spotlight on it and I later read the scanlations. When I saw the actual volumes in the store I knew I just had to buy them! The art is what makes the fanservice work. Kano is one of my favourite artists (behind Yabuki) and I wish he did more.

One of my favourite mangas and I'm very happy to see it get some love Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This manga is pertinent to my interests.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! (Well, the original series; I didn't really get into Yu-Gi-Oh! GX or the other sequels.) It was a big influence on my own series, King of RPGs.

I've read bits of the sequels (Well, all of R), they're okay, but they really aren't anywhere near as good the original series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
This is indeed a classic. I recently Yasuhiro Kanō's Mx0 and enjoyed it as well :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
As a gender-bending connoisseur, this manga is one of my all-time favorites and I have read it several times, definitely worth a buy, but perhaps not perfect for weddings or bah mitzvahs unless the subjects of one or the other are transgendered. Anyway, so happy to see another review of a manga I love here.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Oh, wow... really? This manga carries enough nostalgia to it now to have an entry in House of 1000 Manga? Laughing I might've actually ended up reading most (if not all) of this series via scanlation sites before it was released here; it was quite fun. I believe that I actually got my first exposure to it through a one page article about it in one of the earlier issues of the American Shonen Jump... that, or an actual chapter of it in a random 2003 issue of the Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump that I got while visiting Brazil to see family. (Man, that issue's almost ten years old now...)

House of 1000 Manga isn't *just* old manga, I'll be reviewing more new stuff as time goes on! Although Pretty Face is 10 years old now, so I think it's old enough for nostalgia... -_-

Animerican14 wrote:
Oh, and I didn't know you were behind the editing of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga! Man, that was truly the biggest hook for me in the early years of the U.S. version magazine (and yeah, I really enjoyed the Millennium World Arc). A little question actually comes to mind about that, actually and maybe all the other manga that was in the magazine overall... and that actually has to do with some of the language content. (This not being relevant to Pretty Face, I'll try to make it short) Being the utterly teenage boy whose main exposure to anime was through what 4kids produced, I was like, "WHOA!" when I saw KidsWB anime characters cursing. But if I remember correctly, sometime around the insane Kaiba Land/ Death-T arc, it seemed to be "toned down" with place-holders like "@#%$" for curses, until curses seemed excised altogether. I understand that Japanese "cursing" isn't quite like English cursing, but still, I remember being a bit upset at the time about it, hah. Never buying individual copies beyond the first two volumes of Yu-Gi-Oh!, was this a magazine-exclusive trend, with the mass-market magazine issues being more "censored" or toned-down in dialogue/visual content than the individual volumes...?

As Shonen Jump USA went on, the language requirements got stricter, so we couldn't say "damn" and things like we could at the beginning of the manga. I started substituting "@#$%" because then you can at least *imagine* that they're really cursing. The only alternative I would've been able to do was to use really intentionally cheesy fake-cursing like "Holy crumbs!" That's what they did in the Viz edition of YuYu Hakusho, and actually it's pretty hilarious if you're in the mood, but I don't like that %$@#&%@ stuff as much. Wink
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
When I saw this title in this column I leaped for joy. One of my fav comedy mangas ever. And not only is it funny as hell, but the artwork is killer good. Man, he can draw hot girls with ease. A series I'll never part with!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for me, spreading perverted manga is my only joy.

Perverted anime for me! KINSHIP ACQUIRED! ^O^ d

In all seriousness, when I saw the description of this column, I couldn't help but think "Gee, Jason Thompson sure writes a lot about gender-swap and weird sexual situation-type manga. Is it really just a coincidence orrrr...?"

Well, now that I know it isn't, and he has a propensity for such subjects, I get it. Really, I do. Give me a screwed-up premise that doesn't shy from the many weird possibilities it portends, and I'm typically on board just to see *what will happen.*

At some point, this became such a common tic with anime that I gave it a nickname: JYAW syndrome. Anime dazed (Japan You Are Weird) And yet I can't stay away~! Anime hyper I can't even count the number of times I've ended up rewatching Midori Days. It's just one of those weird things... ^^;
Elmenster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
This was the first gender bender manga that I read. It was Jason that introduced me to it when I won a manga giveaway contest he hosted at a publishers blog. I was a little unsure if I would enjoy it, but it was so entertaining I read through the entire series in a day. It also sparked an interest in the genre.

Although, I feel a little bad now. I probably have the only copies Jason had of this series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
willag+Brainchild: The most expensive used manga right now has gotta be the TP Tokyo Babylon and the 80s single issues of Golgo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3