• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragonar Academy (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Eco is a baby dragon only a few months old... So does this mean Ash is a pedophile?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Not only is he a pedo, but one of the worst kind: a bestiality pedo.

*waits for Chiibi's head to explode*
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Horray for forbidden love. That makes it even hotter. :'D
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess you can say. . .

Ash puts the D in Dragon.

Cool

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering about compatibility. though she may be incompetent, Prim did bring a up a good point. Eco may look human, but she's still a dragon and that's bound to bring up all kinds of complications.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I guess you can say. . .

Ash puts the D in Dragon.

Cool

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

..........good one. :'D
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Harem MCs can't win. When they make moves, people call them pigs; when they don't, they're accused of being gay pansies. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Could you be asked to turn in your fem-card for writing stuff like this?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat surprised that I stuck with this one to the end, because overall I found this to be a weak execution of a very mediocre premise. The fan service elements didn't work for me at all (never a good sign when I find costumes that are supposed to be sexy to be laughable instead) and everything in the storytelling felt retread. I also couldn't ever look at or listen to Eco without thinking of Taiga from Toradora!. I watched it out mainly because I found the concept of the Arch armor to be interesting and the mystery behind why Eco was the only dragon to appear in human form to be kind of interesting.

As for Ash and Eco together? Enh. When magic is involved, problems with incompatible biology take a back seat. (For instance, see Piers Anthony's Xanth setting, where a member of any race can mate with an opposite-gender member of any other race when a love spring is involved.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Harem MCs can't win. When they make moves, people call them pigs; when they don't, they're accused of being gay pansies. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Could you be asked to turn in your fem-card for writing stuff like this?

Whyyyy

Girls can write stuff like that!! Lordy, lord, you should see how my friends write!! I'm an innocent maiden compared to them!! Anime hyper

Quote:
When magic is involved, problems with incompatible biology take a back seat.

Thank you, Key. :3
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

As for Ash and Eco together? Enh. When magic is involved, problems with incompatible biology take a back seat. (For instance, see Piers Anthony's Xanth setting, where a member of any race can mate with an opposite-gender member of any other race when a love spring is involved.)

sure, but nobody brought that up, which leads me to believe that in this universe, Dragons and Humans cant mate
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
It is not like mating is something needed for a relationship, sure it might help but not necessarily needed.

If I remembered properly in SHUFFLE polygamy was allowed in one of the elf eared people's culture, clearly this shows who else he should pick in this show.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Anyone can get together with dragons (even if Eco has the anatomy of a Barbie doll) -- look at Donkey from the Shrek movies. He managed to bag that big red dragon!

I'm still a Silvia fan, though. She packs some nice booba-- I mean baggage. Wink
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
sure, you can be couple without the sex, but I figure this is a setting where your name means everything. They are a nation that prides themselves on taming dragons and riding them into combat and stuff. Become an excellent dragon knight, people remember you and celebrate your name. start a family, have a kid become a knight, carry on the family legacy, and so on. Ash is unique and shown to be really good, surely he'd want to pass that on, and you can't do that if your mate can't bear your children.

Last edited by getchman on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Must resist urge to make really crude jokes in response to getchman's last statement. . . Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
sure, but nobody brought that up, which leads me to believe that in this universe, Dragons and Humans can't mate

Well, Eco is the only known humanoid dragon, so I doubt there's a precedent for that kind of thing.

I'm not inherently against the idea, but it needs to transition properly. On several occasions Ash has refered to Eco as a baby dragon, he scolds her like one would a child, tries to shield her as one at times (ie, not wanting her to know what sperm is), bribes her with crepes, and thinks nothing of sharing a bed with her. There was the hand holding thing, but that was portrayed as a "swept up in the mood" thing (I concede that the thing with Silvia is the same). Even if that wasn't the case, right after that Ash has absolutely no reaction to Eco in a dress, yet Silvia gives him a one way ticket to boner-ville. This is what makes me say that he doesn't see Eco as a girl.

It also doesn't help that she acts very much like a child, so it's hard to see her as anything else.

Let's say one of Key's students, one he's quite fond of in a strictly teacher-like fashion, suddenly tells him she wants their relationship to be more. How likely would you say he'd be able to, on the spot, suddenly see her as a woman and go in for a kiss? Sure, he could (whether he should is a different matter) see her as a woman, but he'd probably have to mull over it for awhile before coming to a decision.

That's what was missing here, Ash mulling over it, reconsidering his relationship with Eco, and then deciding he wants more too. Obviously I understand the time constraints and whatnot since it was the end of the show, but the shift in Ash's perspective could have been gradually shown over the course of the show. Instead, after he just finishes telling her he'll always be her knight and she'll always be his pal, he's all "Okay, forget the knight and pal thing, let's make out!"

So that's where I'm coming from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12