• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Oshi no Ko

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic show! Sure, the finale lacks Oomph! but I'm still hooked and will patiently wait for S2. A production this good needs to be enjoyed fresh in anime form!

Also I'm going to toss out some wild speculation here (I have not read any of the manga) -

I'm getting the impression that the twin's father has nothing to do with Ai's death.

Episode 1 casually dropped some zingers that I believe wil be relevant:

- Ai is really bad at remembering faces of people.

- Ai's mother was a criminal.

I'm guessing that the focus on someone in the industry is a red herring. Ai's mother could have been let out from prison and recognized her abandoned daughter as an idol and thinking she was rich, maybe tried to extort money from her. Ai must have rebuffed her and she could've been keeping tabs on her using unstable obsessed fans and psyched one up to disturb and harass her. Maybe she wanted Ai dead, but more probably scared with intention to blackmail and the murder was not intended. She likely needed hard evidence, especially since nobody would take a criminal seriously. Using a crazed fan was a last ditch effort.

The only issue would be how the fan showed up at the same moment Ai expected the father? This could be settled as an unlucky fated coincidence. Ai being a ditz might have not recalled the right time he was supposed to come by or just presumed he'd come much earlier than expected. Maybe by the time the father got there, it was in time just to see her body in an ambulance.

Also I speculate that the father might not be the guy Ai met at Lala Lai either. I don't see this story making things that straightforward. It is entirely possible that Ai may have had a forbidden love - Someone older and married - but in some lapse of judgment or heart broken-ness, had a relationship with some other guy she didn't love, but might've loved her and she herself broke it off, contributing to another theme of lying - but to herself and to him. This will also thematically play in to the feelings Sarina had for our doctor. A love that wasn't circumstantially possible. Which is why I ironically feel it's possible that Ruby may find the father long before Aqua does, like maybe he also visits Ai's grave at the cemetery.

I'll be waiting eagerly for next season. This rotating theater 2.5D play is the first time I'm hearing about the existence of something like this. Like is it a green screened live play with real time screen VFX? Or just a recorded theater play on multi screens forming a circular continuous stage? Whatever it is, it sounds awesome! Sign of the times, eh?
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

I'll be waiting eagerly for next season. This rotating theater 2.5D play is the first time I'm hearing about the existence of something like this. Like is it a green screened live play with real time screen VFX? Or just a recorded theater play on multi screens forming a circular continuous stage? Whatever it is, it sounds awesome! Sign of the times, eh?

From the translator’s notes included in the chapters in the manga where it was first mentioned in the scanlations I read, it’s more the former. Real acting, but with the backdrops all greenscreened with visual and other effects. I believe there’s only one theater in Japan configured to do a production in that manner; most anime adaptations that get a 2.5D stage play, even the most popular recently like LycoReco and now Bocchi have to do things the old fashioned way.

Here’s a Wikipedia article about the kind of play that they’re doing, called a circle around apparently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SceneAround

Not going to say anything about your speculation because that would be spoilers.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame we didn't get the rest of Mana's material; that's the first real flaw the anime has shown. Otherwise it's been perfect, and I can't wait for the second season.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit sad to see the Mana chapter get stripped out but not necessarily surprised. It's a nice little commentary on the Idol industry but in the grand scheme of the plot it's not particularly important so I can see it getting stripped out to focus on the staging for the performance and setting up the next arc as being deemed more important. You really would have needed more than a few extra minutes to get her experience and it'd require flashing back to the concert that had JUST occurred. A bit disappointing, but not surprising.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
For those curious about the StageAround technology, here's a video primer from the Dutch firm that created it -- super neat. It amuses me to see that the 11 comments underneath are almost all about Oshi no Ko.

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
They adapted one more chapter than I expected

That didn't surprise me, given their established pace. I think there were still parts they could've cut to make room for Mana -- lots of anime drop the OP for the finale, they chose to use the extended ED for the first time, they could've cut out the redundant scene of Akane getting her new role that was originally a chapter-ending hook and probably tightened a few other bits like Aqua's flashback to dinner with Kaburagi…

Well. I'm no storyboarder, pro or amateur. They knew the job better than I do.

jdnation wrote:
I'm getting the impression that the twin's father has nothing to do with Ai's death.

Episode 1 casually dropped some zingers that I believe wil be relevant:

- Ai is really bad at remembering faces of people.

- Ai's mother was a criminal.

I'm guessing that the focus on someone in the industry is a red herring. Ai's mother could have been let out from prison and recognized her abandoned daughter as an idol and thinking she was rich, maybe tried to extort money from her. Ai must have rebuffed her and she could've been keeping tabs on her using unstable obsessed fans and psyched one up to disturb and harass her. Maybe she wanted Ai dead, but more probably scared with intention to blackmail and the murder was not intended. She likely needed hard evidence, especially since nobody would take a criminal seriously. Using a crazed fan was a last ditch effort.

The question still remains the same: Whoever passed Ai's address to Ryosuke, how did they know it? On top of that, would Ai have let the mother who beat and abandoned her know where her own children lived? And what leverage could her mother have had on her?

Azure Chrysanthemum wrote:
I was a bit sad to see the Mana chapter get stripped out but not necessarily surprised. It's a nice little commentary on the Idol industry but in the grand scheme of the plot it's not particularly important so I can see it getting stripped out to focus on the staging for the performance and setting up the next arc as being deemed more important. You really would have needed more than a few extra minutes to get her experience and it'd require flashing back to the concert that had JUST occurred. A bit disappointing, but not surprising.

"Not particularly important" is why I feared it'd be cut, but also, weirdly, why it's so important to me -- this story of spoiler[someone of no consequence, as lovable and worthy as any other idol but, through no fault of her own, just not one of the few exceptional and lucky enough to make her dreams come true]. I'm not sure how to articulate it better. (And in any event, we're well into manga spoiler territory here.)

You don't need any flashbacks. The positioning of what little presence she still has in the episode makes that clear -- keep that where it is, and shift to her POV for B Komachi's… third song? I dunno, how many songs would an idol group be doing in their set here? GhostStalkerSA?

As for amount of time? They cut 9.5 pages out of 18 in chapter 39. Their pace has been three chapters in a 24-minute episode; subtract OP and ED, divide by three, that's seven minutes per chapter on average. (More precise breakdown here.) Obviously some kinds of scenes translate to more seconds/page than others, but I'm willing to assume a spherical cow and say what they cut would've been about four minutes of material.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:29 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
It's a shame we didn't get the rest of Mana's material; that's the first real flaw the anime has shown. Otherwise it's been perfect, and I can't wait for the second season.

From how others are describing this, maybe they are holding it back as a good way to open Season 2? With the appropriate flashback/set-up reminder of how the last episode ended? Sounds appropriate as it'd summarize the life of an idol, and maybe conveniently recap Ai's tragedy?

Shay Guy wrote:
The question still remains the same: Whoever passed Ai's address to Ryosuke, how did they know it? On top of that, would Ai have let the mother who beat and abandoned her know where her own children lived? And what leverage could her mother have had on her?

My thinking is that her mother being a criminal (A thief? If I recall...?) may have had some street smarts herself to follow/track someone down. Likely possessing a few acting con-artist talents herself. Heck, Aqua himself does such borderline things. This fits in with the show's deception themes and it'd be on point for a detective/mystery story to have a Sherlock/Moriarty dynamic between Aqua and "the culprit."

Ai, of course would never volunteer such information to anyone. But she can be careless, even entertainment people in the industry gossip, Akane herself figured things out without realizing it. It'd take some detective work, but someone is paying for Ai's accomodation, travel , hospital visits, baby supplies etc. Putting together her absence of so many months, rummaging through trash for receipts and baby products, perhaps breaking into Strawberry Production's office and rummaging through finances or following the manager around could help piece things together. I don't recall if Ai's home is a total secret, people narrow down where celebrities live fairly often. What's important is security, but perhaps the baby secrecy prevented this as the circle of people involved needed to be small.

The leverage the mother could have was simply to threaten to expose her pregnancy and destroy her career, of course she'd need hard evidence, and she'd have to find a way to do it without incriminating herself. Ideally you'd use others to do it for you. Her motivation could simply be blackmail for money. Potentially also jealousy/misplaced anger depending on backstory. I assume that like Ai, she'd also be, or had been, beautiful. Some kind off obsession, like Aqua's, to keep tabs on her and know the moment she went on haitus and skipped town to the countryside. It'd simply be a case of following the manager. I think if Aqua ever encountered such a character as obsessed as he has been of finding someone, he'd reflect on himself and what he's turning into.
bananaClown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I would gladly watch Tokyo Blade over Demon Slayer. The theater adaptation was sick.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Great episode, but not that great of a season finale. Glad we already have the confirmation for the second season.
I like seeing a different side to Akane (and longer hair for next season!) and having that connection with Kana adds another great layer to her reaction to Aqua & Akane's "romance"
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:09 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

You don't need any flashbacks. The positioning of what little presence she still has in the episode makes that clear -- keep that where it is, and shift to her POV for B Komachi's… third song? I dunno, how many songs would an idol group be doing in their set here? GhostStalkerSA?

As for amount of time? They cut 9.5 pages out of 18 in chapter 39. Their pace has been three chapters in a 24-minute episode; subtract OP and ED, divide by three, that's seven minutes per chapter on average. (More precise breakdown here.) Obviously some kinds of scenes translate to more seconds/page than others, but I'm willing to assume a spherical cow and say what they cut would've been about four minutes of material.

Again, I’ve never been to TIF or any actual festival live in Japan, but from my wota friends who have (and are going to Anisama in August), around 3 is standard, since you only really have a half hour block to perform in, and you have to take into account MC segments and also setup time.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:08 am Reply with quote
I pretty much forgot about Mana.

But all you folks complaining might want to check the manga --- her material is in the chapter following the concert. Look for it during the first episode of the next season.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I pretty much forgot about Mana.

But all you folks complaining might want to check the manga --- her material is in the chapter following the concert. Look for it during the first episode of the next season.

Her material is in chapter 39, whereas this episode adapts the first part of that chapter that introduces her, then skips over the pages of her conclusion while folding in the parts of the previous chapter that cover B-Komachi’s live in chronological order, and then adapts the back half of chapter 39 with chapter 40 and some padding.

Sure, they could do the skipped over pages as part of the intro episode of the second season, as part of a flashback, but that doesn’t make much sense as a launching point into the next arc, which is all Tokyo Blade.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Timestamp 8:24 on HIDIVE's stream is the exact point where the cut material would've gone.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Sure, they could do the skipped over pages as part of the intro episode of the second season, as part of a flashback, but that doesn’t make much sense as a launching point into the next arc, which is all Tokyo Blade.

It could work. A little rewriting could have it serve as a recap of last season and the show's idol/entertainment themes. Then play the new OP that will have brief imagery of what Aqua/Ruby and the gang have been through, and then immediately transition over into the next arc's material.

Anyway, that 2.5D stage people linked to looks awesome! I'd definitely love to someday check out a show, but I imagine that such productions can get ridiculously expensive. You'd need like ‘AVENGERS: The Musical’ level to get people to show up.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Anyway, that 2.5D stage people linked to looks awesome! I'd definitely love to someday check out a show, but I imagine that such productions can get ridiculously expensive. You'd need like ‘AVENGERS: The Musical’ level to get people to show up.

If you're curious, the Japanese Wikipedia article has a list of the productions it's housed, including a production of West Side Story in 2019, two Touken Ranbu plays in 2021, a… Hello Kitty musical later that year? Bunch of kabuki, including a play earlier this year based on Final Fantasy X.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, after thinking a lot about this show, this is a pretty cool show though not a total favorite of mine. I liked how much behind the scenes stuff gets explored in different aspects of the entertainment industry through the characters without too much being the author's mouthpieces.

Though I have to say, it still just astounds me the crazy road this show had to go through just to get to the main point which is about our main characters navigating through the rocky road of entertainment industry. And to this day, I'm still upset that Ai had to die like that especially there could have been a much more intriguing story that could be explored. Like why not have Ai play double duty as a mom and an idol/actress while she helps her kids Aqua and Ruby get through their dreams? You can still have Akane's and Kana's subplots and the weird love triangle with Aqua still be in tact, right? But no, the route we're on has a far more of an audience attention grabber kind of thing.

Also, I felt a bit bad for Ruby who felt like more of a secondary character compared to Kana and Akane especially compared to her debut with Aqua. And from what I heard about the latest chapter in the manga, it seems like she'll be gaining more screen time probably around the time the anime reaches like a Season 3 or 4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12