• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madoka Magica: Rebellion US Premiere

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Man, what an amazing experience Rebellion was, coming up to Kansas City via MegaBus and seeing the Madoka film with a good friend from KC. And to add to that, though I've watched the series with him between late winter and early spring of this year, we went ahead and pretty much marathoned the prior two movies anyway, *right* before making the drive to the theater. (It stinks that I didn't make it in time to get an autograph board. Wish I knew it was limited to the first 100 ticketholders!) Re-acquaintancing ourselves with Madoka Magica proved quite helpful, in light of how appreciation of Rebellion depended on the intimacy with the material.

On the other hand.... with all the Madoka anime being a near-singular priority of mine over the past week media-wise (as I also watched the TV series yet again, but with audio commentaries on), my attachment to the franchise reached its old nearly-dangerous highs. Having given Madoka a practically religious devotion for the months of March and May of 2011, the series original air date, the ending of the original series-- so thoroughly beautiful, bittersweet, and honestly-told-- gave me such an incredible amount of joy. Not only was it artistically sound, but also personally powerful, resonating with me in a positive emotional way that I think I really needed at the time. Comparatively, Rebellion's unexpected developments spoiler[in its last 15-20 minutes have comprised a tougher pill for me to swallow, and the more I roll the ending around in my tongue, the emptier the emotional pit it seems to leave in me. *cries* ]

spoiler[Had Rebellion ended with Madoka taking Homura to that Mahou Shoujo Valhalla of hers, I think I would've been altogether fine with that. Though that probably would've left us with a "safe" and less "artistic" ending not really different from that of the original series, I thought that pretty much everything leading up to that point more than made up for it. (Who cares if there was a lot of fluff in the first half? It was exciting and beautiful fluff! Razz Long Live Gekidan Inu Curry!) TLDR; +1 for emotionally appealing ending, 0-sum for lacking in super-artful ending.]

spoiler[ But nope, Homura had to become a sadder, more selfish character and wreck s**t up so as to propel the conclusion in a direction contrary to the series' ending. More innovative and diverse in an End of Evangelion-esque way, perhaps, but definitely still a great downer for me.] Granted, there was this aspect that I first overlooked...
Juno016 wrote:
Homura is the one making the assumption that Madoka is destroying herself. In a way, she was right. spoiler[The incubators almost took control of Madoka until Madoka regained her memories again and everyone stopped the incubators from having any say in the events proceeding. Her becoming her "akuma" form or whatever it is kinda shields Madoka from being the object of the incubator's manipulation.]

... where I guess that even *if* spoiler[Homura was taken to 'Mahou Shoujo Valhalla' by Madoka, there was the possibility of the Incubators coming back to try and find a way to control Madoka again through similar efforts. Then again, I thought they sent a strong enough message to the Incubators with that super-arrow-attack to keep them away in the future... was that too naive of a hope? Sad Anyway.... as it stands for now, it's still so sad. Even if it can be called "bittersweet," it feels like the "sweet" parts are "sweet" for all the wrong reasons-- because of what's essentially brainwashing and a dreadfully selfish and protective "love" of Homura's. TLDR; +1 for artsy(?) ending, -1 for an unappealing ending emotionally. Sad I feel that I'll only gain a truly greater appreciation once I see/better understand where the franchise is going to go from here... there's a lot more room left over for more story with this film's conclusion than the series' conclusion, after all. ]
------

Degrees of inner turmoil about some of the content aside, I really loved the production effort overall. It was a nearly-orgasmic feast of art for the eyes, to use somewhat colorful language. The staff wasn't kidding when they talked about Gekidan Inu Curry's immense involvement this time around!

Chagen46 wrote:
I said nothing on the animation quality, Zac. I was talking about the amount of stuff on the screen during the nightmare battles. They are very cluttered visually, quite often to the point of collapsing into a nearly-incoherent mess. They look NICE and flashy, no doubt, but I personally preferred the more subdued environments of the show. It feels like they took their movie budget and justified it with endless amounts of detail almost to a detrimental point.

That and, at least of the first one in the film, they don't relate much to the character/theme they're supposed to embody.

I think you're trying to play semantics a little too much with what Zac is saying, if not just overlooking some of what he's saying-- he brought up both animation quality *and* production value, and the "amount of stuff on screen" relates to production value, at the very least. Seeing as you're using a cam-rip (of questionable quality for virtue of being a cam-rip), I think its perfectly valid to question the backing of your assertions of it being too cluttered. Simply saying someone that's seen the movie in person "agrees" with you doesn't help matters if you're still in the position of having seen it on a miniaturized cam-feed).

And you say that the design of the first spoiler[Nightmare] doesn't relate much to the character/theme they're "supposed" to embody? What theme do you think they were trying to represent in the first place?

Last edited by Animerican14 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Why are you being so rude to me? Surprised

A valid concern. Start at least pretending to be respectful Fencedude because you're going way past the line here. The rules state you need to be respectful of others opinions and civil, no matter how much you disagree with them or how much their posts may frustrate you. This is getting ridiculous and it's time to dial it down a few.

Interesting that you said and did nothing about the issue with the quoted user that was reported multiple times 8-12 hours ago.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
I think the nightmares are meant to all look similar. They're all dolls with the human faces of their human counterparts attached to their bear-like stuffed body. Interestingly, I noticed quite a few things about both nightmare encounters that are pretty neat and I want to re-confirm one when I get to see the movie again (ugh, I don't want to go find the camrip for this, but... I don't want to wait for the BluRay, either... D:

spoiler[1) In the first three minutes of the movie, which we do have on television in good quality, the Nightmare has this price tag thing. On the price tag is, in runes, "Homulilly." In the PSP game, this was the name of Homura's Witch, so that was a dead giveaway and I already figured out the first twist after this.
2) When the first Nightmare fled into the building, it zoomed past a ton of doors, not unlike the doors that opened to Gertrud in episode 2 of the anime. Escept this time, each door that opened, if you were REALLY quick to look, had a different motif on it. The first one was thorns and butterflies. The second one had sweets and pictures of cheese in it. The third had sailor blazers hung up on clotheslines in the sky. The one after that was nearly empty, but the lamp posts looked like Treble Clefs. The one after that was blanks, I believe. The one after that had a figure of Madoka being pinned up like a butterfly display, with the words, "Who am I?" behind her in runes. The door after that was colorful and had more runes over it that said, "Does not matter the (then?) let's dance now." After that was what looked like a Bambi-esc deer figure being impaled by a fork, spilling blood from the wound, with screw-headed faces that look like Homura's Witch's familiars crowded around it. Of course, the first several doors obviously symbolize the Witches from the previous series. =P
And 3) Behind the Nightmares both times through were these blue-ish hands that looks like they were puppeteering them. At first, I figured they were just a part of the Nightmare design. But later on, outside a Nightmare battle, I swear I saw one of those hands come down and place something in the city or something. As if they were "creating" or "puppeteeing" the world itself. They have these circle polka-dot thingies on them. And when Homura is turning into her Witch form, I noticed... those same polka dots appeared in her soul gem. Along with hands covered in the polka dots as well. So those hands puppeteering everything were likely Homura's hands all along...]

I want to try and find where I saw that last part, though. My memory on that is only vague, so I don't think I'm making things up. I swear I saw it. Can anyone with the camrip or something confirm this for me?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Why are you being so rude to me? Surprised

A valid concern. Start at least pretending to be respectful Fencedude because you're going way past the line here. The rules state you need to be respectful of others opinions and civil, no matter how much you disagree with them or how much their posts may frustrate you. This is getting ridiculous and it's time to dial it down a few.

Interesting that you said and did nothing about the issue with the quoted user that was reported multiple times 8-12 hours ago.

Remember, the worst thing anyone can possibly do here is be less than completely polite. Especially to someone who spends a dozen posts jerking you around and repeatedly ignoring several basic requests.

But oh man, you be a bit "rude"? Well thats just terrible!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
spoiler[1) In the first three minutes of the movie, which we do have on television in good quality, the Nightmare has this price tag thing. On the price tag is, in runes, "Homulilly." In the PSP game, this was the name of Homura's Witch, so that was a dead giveaway and I already figured out the first twist after this.]

Just curious, and I'm totally serious here. Have you gotten so proficient, that you can read the Madoka Magica runes "on the fly"? I'm honestly kind of impressed if so. I saw the runes throughout the movie, and one day might look for screencaps that translate them, but there were a few spots in the movie where I almost laughed to myself thinking "that's great that they put that in there, but WTF does it SAY?!?"
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I think you're trying to play semantics a little too much with what Zac is saying, if not just overlooking some of what he's saying-- he brought up both animation quality *and* production value, and the "amount of stuff on screen" relates to production value, at the very least. Seeing as you're using a cam-rip (of questionable quality for virtue of being a cam-rip), I think its perfectly valid to question the backing of your assertions of it being too cluttered. Simply saying someone that's seen the movie in person "agrees" with you doesn't help matters if you're still in the position of having seen it on a miniaturized cam-feed).

And you say that the design of the first spoiler[Nightmare] doesn't relate much to the character/theme they're "supposed" to embody? What theme do you think they were trying to represent in the first place?

I'm not saying that I'm in the best position to judge the film. I'm not. But I personally felt, from what I saw, that the visual flair of the movie is a little overdone. It's just what I think, maybe it looks better in person, I dunno.

And looking back on it, the environment of the first nightmare actually did fit pretty well, I was tired while watching it so I wasn't in the best position to judge.
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
That's too much swag for one theatre, I'd buy at least half or more of what they got for sale... sad that the Valley Art Theatre isn't even gonna see anything close to that when it arrives in my hometown on Dec. 13th >.<

Oh well, at least I still got a somewhat nearby theatre to go to see it.

It's all good Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'm not saying that I'm in the best position to judge the film. I'm not. But I personally felt, from what I saw, that the visual flair of the movie is a little overdone. It's just what I think, maybe it looks better in person, I dunno.

My eyes started hurting after what felt like Hour 6 of the InuCurry Parade. It became overkill late in the 3rd act.

Don't get me wrong, I love that stuff, but it felt like I'd had 3 slices of cake and they were like WANT MORE CAKE and I was like holy crap no i'm stuffed and they were like HERE HAVE SOME MORE
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well there this

Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
spoiler[1) In the first three minutes of the movie, which we do have on television in good quality, the Nightmare has this price tag thing. On the price tag is, in runes, "Homulilly." In the PSP game, this was the name of Homura's Witch, so that was a dead giveaway and I already figured out the first twist after this.]

Just curious, and I'm totally serious here. Have you gotten so proficient, that you can read the Madoka Magica runes "on the fly"? I'm honestly kind of impressed if so. I saw the runes throughout the movie, and one day might look for screencaps that translate them, but there were a few spots in the movie where I almost laughed to myself thinking "that's great that they put that in there, but WTF does it SAY?!?"

lol I'm "on the fly" proficient with some of the fonts, yes, though this one was harder to read because of the format it was in. I actually got to see the first three minutes online, as it was shown on TV Tokyo in a TV Special that condensed the first series again. So I had more tools to pause and move frame-by-frame and read the runes within the first three minutes, during that first Nightmare battle. When I was in the theater, I was able to read things that were on the screen for more than a few seconds, though most of them actually flashed waaaaaaay too quickly for me to even read, or for most people to even notice. And when it got to the end of the movie, it was like "Wer something" and I was like, "Is this German?" XD

On that note, it's neat how they hint towards what's going to happen later on within the runes, but runes that no one can read unless they're a crazy fan like me and have frame-by-frame photographic memories (and know German, which I don't) can't be a replacement for the unique foreshadowing they had in the original TV series. They had some good in-dialogue and visual foreshadowing here that could be disguised within the other discussions and visuals and some were actually quite nicely obvious, but without context. Still, though, it was nothing like the original series, in which we had things like spoiler[Sayaka joking about Homura crossing time and space to see Madoka in episode 1, or the very beginning prologue scene's ominous shots of Homura yelling with no words coming out, or the episode 5/6 scene (shown in both episodes, so TWICE!) where we see time stop the water drops as Homura's reflection in them moves, hinting toward her power.] Now THOSE were nice additions. I don't see as much blatant, but clever hints in the dialogue this time around, but I'm hoping to see some visual foreshadowing outside the first three minutes the next time I watch the movie.

And on the topic of InuCurry, I'm an artist who loves abstract art and was mesmorized by InuCurry's contributions in the original series, so I think my tolerance level for it was pretty high up for this movie. I was paying attention to everything that was going on and completely interested in it. They really outdid themselves and I love all the symbolism from them and SHAFT as spoiler[Homura broke down and attacked Kyuubey, and then turned into a Witch, along with the chair scene that referred back to the opening in the first movie. Was that the same chair in the epilogue or no?]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

... where I guess that even *if* spoiler[Homura was taken to 'Mahou Shoujo Valhalla' by Madoka, there was the possibility of the Incubators coming back to try and find a way to control Madoka again through similar efforts. Then again, I thought they sent a strong enough message to the Incubators with that super-arrow-attack to keep them away in the future... was that too naive of a hope? Sad ]

I do think this is part of the reason she did this; remember, Incubators couldn't care less about spoiler[being mass-murdered], since they can regenerate endlessly and have no individuality. Probably bothered them about as much as cutting the tail off a lizard.

Whatever the meaning behind it is supposed to be, it does sort of make sense that the movie ended the way it did, because there actually was an unclosed thread from the series that everyone seemingly forgot about: spoiler[Homura never got what she wished for. She never became strong enough to protect Madoka, because the latter became more powerful with every loop and was determined to sacrifice herself. Whether that wish actually compelled her to usurp Madokami is less clear, but it does explain why she was able to overpower the most powerful being in the universe. And now that that wish has been fulfilled, the story could go in almost any direction.]
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
spoiler[but it does explain why she was able to overpower the most powerful being in the universe.]

Actually, I think spoiler[she got the power to overpower Madoka's universe by stealing Madoka's power when Madoka presented herself in front of her. Either that, or she was given the power by the incubators when they trapped her in her Soul Gem and her curse accumulated.] It's not exactly clear how it happened, though. But yes. It does spoiler[fulfill Homura's wish to be the one to protect Madoka, and it's evident that Madoka's wish is half-moot now. The Law of Cycles is still going on, but if Madoka isn't the one in charge of it anymore, then the part of her wish that said "by my own hands" is no longer viable.]
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Actually, I think spoiler[she got the power to overpower Madoka's universe by stealing Madoka's power when Madoka presented herself in front of her. Either that, or she was given the power by the incubators when they trapped her in her Soul Gem and her curse accumulated.] It's not exactly clear how it happened, though. But yes. It does spoiler[fulfill Homura's wish to be the one to protect Madoka, and it's evident that Madoka's wish is half-moot now. The Law of Cycles is still going on, but if Madoka isn't the one in charge of it anymore, then the part of her wish that said "by my own hands" is no longer viable.]

So spoiler[the Law of the Cycle] is definitely still going on in someway, then I more or less thought that was the case, but there has been a fair amount of confusion about the end for me, much like there was on your end. I might've missed something amongst the posts in this thread.... but have any of the questions you've raised on the 8th page been answered or better settled for you, then, Juno?
Quote:
I still want to talk about the ending, though. I can't figure out whether spoiler[Homura took over Madoka's duty or not, or if they even hinted at it, or if Ultimate Madoka still exists in any form outside of the "piece" Homura took, and if so, how. Relevant key points that confuse me are the scene where Homura rips part of Madoka from Ultimate Madoka, Sayaka and Homura's dialect about what exact piece Homura took and how Wraiths still exist, and when Madoka nearly "reverted" or "connected" back to her Ultimate self.]

These questions still remain for me. I'm still unsure on spoiler[the nature of Homura's newly conceived role as the "Akuma" of this rewritten universe, other than that she's denying the sacrifice that Madoka made by attempting to give her a safe human life of normalcy, is proclaiming herself as the eventual enemy of Madoka for this definace, and is taking on the burdens of curses that Madoka would've taken otherwise (which I guess then explains why there might still be wraiths around, to offset the burden of those curses). What control does she exactly have over the incubators now, though? And if Ultimate Madoka was to be be an embodiment of hope and uplift magical girls so they wouldn't become witches, then is Akuma Homura some embodiment of despair and bring magical girls down to... what, some Mahou Shoujo Hell, then? (Though with the prior system, the result of becoming a witch offered a sort of Mahou Shoujo Hell already, didn't it?) Is there even some "good" entity anymore that stops magical girls from becoming witches...?] Ugh, I don't even know if I'm making sense to myself anymore with this thinking... Anime hyper

I think I need to see a simple chart/diagram that shows for sure what Homura can do as an "Akuma," as illustrated/explained by the film. I'm sure there were a few dots I weren't able to connect when I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

So spoiler[the Law of the Cycle] is definitely still going on in someway, then I more or less thought that was the case, but there has been a fair amount of confusion about the end for me, much like there was on your end. I might've missed something amongst the posts in this thread.... but have any of the questions you've raised on the 8th page been answered or better settled for you, then, Juno?
Quote:
I still want to talk about the ending, though. I can't figure out whether spoiler[Homura took over Madoka's duty or not, or if they even hinted at it, or if Ultimate Madoka still exists in any form outside of the "piece" Homura took, and if so, how. Relevant key points that confuse me are the scene where Homura rips part of Madoka from Ultimate Madoka, Sayaka and Homura's dialect about what exact piece Homura took and how Wraiths still exist, and when Madoka nearly "reverted" or "connected" back to her Ultimate self.]

These questions still remain for me. I'm still unsure on spoiler[the nature of Homura's newly conceived role as the "Akuma" of this rewritten universe, other than that she's denying the sacrifice that Madoka made by attempting to give her a safe human life of normalcy, is proclaiming herself as the eventual enemy of Madoka for this definace, and is taking on the burdens of curses that Madoka would've taken otherwise (which I guess then explains why there might still be wraiths around, to offset the burden of those curses). What control does she exactly have over the incubators now, though? And if Ultimate Madoka was to be be an embodiment of hope and uplift magical girls so they wouldn't become witches, then is Akuma Homura some embodiment of despair and bring magical girls down to... what, some Mahou Shoujo Hell, then? (Though with the prior system, the result of becoming a witch offered a sort of Mahou Shoujo Hell already, didn't it?) Is there even some "good" entity anymore that stops magical girls from becoming witches...?] Ugh, I don't even know if I'm making sense to myself anymore with this thinking... Anime hyper

I think I need to see a simple chart/diagram that shows for sure what Homura can do as an "Akuma," as illustrated/explained by the film. I'm sure there were a few dots I weren't able to connect when I saw it.

I'm honestly not sure. No one answered the questions and I've noticed a ton of misconceptions over the Puella Magi wiki, possibly due to a somewhat weak translation on the camrip. I'm going to be compiling as many interviews about the movie I can and keep watch on what Urobuchi and the others say in the next several months as well. When the original series ended, Urobuchi is the one who actually clarified the whole "Ultimate Madoka Paradise" thing so that we were able to understand what was going on there, since the TV series didn't make it clear enough (and I found out after that it was written in the manuscript, too--just never explicitly illustrated in the animation itself). So I'm hoping he does the same thing here.

I definitely don't find the movie as well-organized or meaningful as the TV series itself, but thankfully, it doesn't "ruin" anything from the TV series for me either with its drastic changes. It's definitely one of the better sequel movies in recent memory, and with so much to live up to, I think it did a great job. I'd put it on par with that "The Different Story" manga in terms of how much depth it added to the original series (whether the manga is canon or not). It was quite ambitious and definitely lived up to the expectations. It just subverted some expectations, for better or for worse, too. And though I doubt it has any real "holes" in it, I definitely think a lot more needs to be clarified before I can truly understand the bigger picture as to how this affects the series as a whole.
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I'm honestly not sure. No one answered the questions and I've noticed a ton of misconceptions over the Puella Magi wiki, possibly due to a somewhat weak translation on the camrip. I'm going to be compiling as many interviews about the movie I can and keep watch on what Urobuchi and the others say in the next several months as well. When the original series ended, Urobuchi is the one who actually clarified the whole "Ultimate Madoka Paradise" thing so that we were able to understand what was going on there, since the TV series didn't make it clear enough (and I found out after that it was written in the manuscript, too--just never explicitly illustrated in the animation itself). So I'm hoping he does the same thing here.

I'd love to know where you can find some of these interview translations you mentioned. I'm especially interested in Urobuchi revealing the nature of Madoka's paradise if you know off-hand where I can find that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15