• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for your kind words. They're very much appreciated :')
ArcadeWeapon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to jumping in to this show. Living up to the praise so far Very Happy
Philville

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words. They're very much appreciated :')

My condolences, James – I know from experience that losing a pet, especially after having to make such a tough decision, is heart-breaking (I remember how devastated we were when we had to put down our dog of 18 years). At first I thought that bringing Mitty back this season was one of the series' rare missteps, because I saw it as a narrative contrivance with the sole purpose of having Nanachi become Belaf’s prisoner so that Faputa would eventually be able to enter the village, but your comments have put that into perspective and I have to admit that the reunion and subsequent farewell was handled with great poignancy and grace. In fact, I was in tears by the time Pigymuu (?) and the little Hollows ran after Nanachi and Mitty to offer them a parting gift mere seconds before disintegrating too.
dm wrote:
The music continues to bring its A game in episode 10.
I feel sorry for Faputa's voice actress --- I felt like I could hear her voice giving way as she howled out Faputa's anger and anguish.

Agreed on both counts. That's an award-worthy performance.
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
My man Reg really promised Faputa to build a life and a family together only to come back with another woman. The sheer audacity...
Hot damn, that was the best episode of Made in Abyss yet, both from a technical and emotional standpoint.

I couldn’t have put it better. The back-and-forth transitions between past and present were seamless and technically brilliant (for example when Faputa removes Reg’s helmet). The editing in these past few episodes has been off the charts.
Blood- wrote:
Just chiming in with my own enthusiasm for the episode. It astounds me how Faputa can be so adorable and terrifying all at the same time. Not an easy trick to pull off.

It’s almost like a Jekyll & Hyde situation, isn’t it? Her eyes and teeth became utterly terrifying this episode. Also, while on that topic… poor Kaja.
Pandsu wrote:
This episode had everything. . . . The little bits of cute brevity were refreshing in contrast to the beautifully animated and powerfully acted battle scenes.

From an emotional perspective I actually found that harder to watch than the gross or traumatic stuff that puts most people off, just because of Faputa’s carefree, childlike innocence (like when she’s first praised for speaking elegantly and then jumps around gleefully shouting “Sosu!”). It makes her subsequent sense of betrayal and downward spiral into savagery hit so much harder.
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
My only complain is I feel that not all of the buildup to this moment was necessary. I feel like some portions of the misery fest in the earlier episodes (and presumably chapters in the manga) could have been cut with no loss in payoff, at least to this moment.

Are you thinking of anything in particular? Because even if the Irumyuui stuff is hard to stomach I think the emotional impact would definitely have been lessened if we hadn’t gotten a clear sense of her anguish and the injustice she suffered in the previous episodes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss got a cafe collab in Ikebukuro Laughing

https://collabo-cafe.com/events/collabo/made-in-abyss-cafe-ikebukuro-parco2022/

The Maa parfait and Faputa waffle look good! You can also get Muscat Riko lemonade xD Every character got a treat in their 'image'. I love stuff like this.

Translation from left to right:

Narehate (hollow) dining: all'arrabbiata (um it's pasta lol) with fried egg

Qubecacus (spinach curry) with fried egg (the only thing that looks icky to me xD)

Faputa Fromage Berry Sauce waffle

Maa-san Parfait

Riko's Muscat Lemonade

Nanachi's Strawberry Milk

Faputa's Cranberry Calpis

Not pictured is Reg's Cafe Mocha (I found it on Twitter though)
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
Also, while on that topic… poor Kaja.

What do you mean by that? I don't think Kaja was even in the episode.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Dunno. Food doesn't exactly get shown in the best light in this series.....
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

While it didn't happen in this arc, some of the dishes Riko makes look pretty good to me, if I'm being honest.

Like the first one she gave Nanachi that actually made her cry. xD I also like how they explain the ingredients and cooking process with each one.
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Philville wrote:
Also, while on that topic… poor Kaja.

What do you mean by that? I don't think Kaja was even in the episode.

I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure there's a frame showing spoiler[Kaja ripped to bits] at the very start of the episode while Faputa is going apeshit. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:
I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure there's a frame showing spoiler[Kaja ripped to bits] at the very start of the episode while Faputa is going apeshit. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

spoiler[That's someone else unless they go anime original, in the manga Kaja still has a part to play...]
Philville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Philville wrote:

spoiler[That's someone else unless they go anime original, in the manga Kaja still has a part to play...]

Hmmm... it would surprise me if they made such a big change, so my bad I guess. I'll check again in a little while but there's a pretty mangled white-colored corpse with an open mouth shown a little while after the title screen (when Reg rushes in to face Faputa) and I initially thought that was Kaja (as far as I recall you don't see the whole body, just the head). I suppose that just gives me another excuse to watch this amazing episode again. Razz If I'm wrong then sorry for the false alarm. Wink

dm wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

LMAO. This café better offer slimy food that squirms about (non-living, of course).
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

... and stay out of the restroom.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
Another beautifully soul-crushing episode today. Faputa's VA is still going all out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
GO, LITTLE PRINCESS. FIND YOUR LIGHT!!

(I bought stuff to make the plush but I'm working on an unrelated fanzine now so it has to wait a little bit. lol)
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nanachi had to choose to say goodbye to HER dearest treasure, to hold her and kill her with dignity and love, though they don't know if they have the strength to make that choice again

This truly is a brilliantly written review for an episodes 9 & 10 that may just send Made In Abyss towards the top of the list of my all-time favorite anime series. That said however I couldn’t help but notice a small typo in the second to last paragraph where Nanachi is referred to as “her.”
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 seems more like a transition episode — or maybe I mean the first part of a longer episode. A lot happens, but it feels like the significance of it won’t be revealed until later.

Nanachi powers up by ingesting Belaf’s memories. If you didn’t like Wazukyan before, just wait until you hear Nanachi’s speculation about what he intended for Rico.

Faputa keeps losing treasures: her robot friend stops her, warns her that harming Rico will be harming herself, then is destroyed by the turbinid dragon.

Is next week the special for long episode?

Hey, ANN, I hope you get a chance to interview Faputa’s voice actress about these episodes (hey, Sentai, that would make a great extra for the DVD release).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16