• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Weren't Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask in the accepted list previously?

Yep, but there ended up being such an excess number of characters (~160/128) that I had to move some from the previous Accepted list that I didn't think were the strongest.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Weren't Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask in the accepted list previously?

Yep, but there ended up being such an excess number of characters (~160/128) that I had to move some from the previous Accepted list that I didn't think were the strongest.

Well, phooey! Wink But, as you saw, I seconded them.

Now for my vote against. I could only find one that I could really, really disagree with and that is:

Inu Yasha and Kagome

Mainly because the furry idiot can't decided between the living girl or the dead one!
CSousuke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'll have to second one as well:

Kaname Chidori & Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic!

One of my favorite series, that fight would look awesome.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Okay, I added a new rule which can be found here (maximum of 3 votes for, and 3 votes against), due to my realization that if I allowed unlimited seconding, the bracket would be overflowing again in no time at all.

LydiaDianne wrote:
list of seconds

I hate to do this to you since I made this rule after you provided your list, but do you think you could choose 3 out of that list to be your 3 seconds? Sorry about this.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Okay, I added a new rule which can be found here (maximum of 3 votes for, and 3 votes against), due to my realization that if I allowed unlimited seconding, the bracket would be overflowing again in no time at all.

LydiaDianne wrote:
list of seconds

I hate to do this to you since I made this rule after you provided your list, but do you think you could choose 3 out of that list to be your 3 seconds? Sorry about this.

Not a problem, but it was a bit tough! I don't remember all of whom I nomintated!

Okay, the three I've chosen are:

Sanzo & Goku from Saiyuki
Ed & Ein from Cowboy Bebop
Ranpha Franboise & Forte Stollen from Galaxy Angel

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Am I allowed to second a pairing that I contributed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Am I allowed to second a pairing that I contributed?

Nope, sorry. I probably wouldn't find out even if you did, but I think it'd be best to have diverse opinion on all of them...

Honor system, I suppose (not to say seconding your own nominations is really "cheating" or something awfully bad).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
frentymon,

I changed two of the names that I seconded since I originally nominated them.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Okay then, I'm going to second:

Ranpha Franboise and Forte Stollen from Galaxy Angel
Ed and Ein from Cowboy Bebop
Miki and Kozue Kaoru from Revolutionary Girl Utena

'Cause I'm an honest person. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Relena and Heero from Gundam Wing are listed twice under the pending group. Is this deliberate?

Quote:
Heero Yuy & Relena Peacecraft from Gundam Wing

Quote:
Relena & Heero from Gundam Wing

As for seconding Anime, I really cannot decide at the moment. I may post them later, providing I can make up my mind.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute I have already seconded one pair before the latest rule. Therefore, can I still second that pairing for this new rule?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
I'm adding my opinions to the names added to the update that I have not mentioned yet.

I also second the Amano and Noriko Aim for the Top combo. If you think about it spoiler[all they have at the end of the series is each other]

I agree that Hikaru and Misa is still the strongest romantic couple from the various Macross series, but I think the Hikaru and Roy combo is an even stronger bond.

Yomiko and Nenene from ROD. This is a really interesting one since a good deal of their relationship occurs before the series and off screen. The fact that Nenene constantly talks about Yomiko, even though she isn't present only strengthens their bond. I will second this one.

Are we considering rivals under Best Duo? I would vote against Lupin and Zenigata since it seems like a one sided rivalry since Lupin makes Zenigata's life horrible. Same goes for Brandon and Harry who I believe should be in a best rivals tournament instead of best duo. The same goes for Albert and the Count from Gankutsuou. I think comparing two people who have a hatred for each other is even harder to compare against two people who like each other and two people who love each other. I'm also think one sided relationships don't work well for a "duo." I hope to see all of these (along with Amuro and Char) reappear if we have a best rival tournament.

I want to throw another one that I'm shocked nobody mentioned:

Kenshin and Kaoru from Kenshin. I will vote for this one under romance. I like the controversial Reflections end, although they work well even without it.

Last edited by Randall Miyashiro on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
If I could, it would be nice to see at least one pair from the Fruits Basket series in the tournament, and I see that all of them are pending so far, which probably means they have not had votes for them at all.

They are:
Kyo Sohma and Tohru Honda
Shigure and Hatori Sohma
Ayame and Shigure Sohma (My own nomination)

I would like to vote for at least Kyo Sohma and Tohru Honda to be in the tournament, as a romantic couple. I see them as young and starting off, though it never gets to the point, you could say that it's the flower in the spring before it blooms. Poor excuse, but I vote for them.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
Okay, here are my seconds

Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon
Trowa and Quatre from Gundam Wing
Nana and Nana from NANA (since they don't have any seconds beside their name in the accepted list)

(also, a note...Hotaru & Kakyo from X TV should be Hokuto & Kakyo)
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Um, wait a second. Haruka/Sailor Uranus and Michiru/Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon already had at least two nominations (both Lydia and I included them in our very first sets of nominations.) Shouldn't couples that had already received multiple votes be left in?

Seconding:

Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen from Sailor Moon

Against:

TBA

We don't have to accept and reject the same number, correct?

Edit: Removed my rejections after realizing the current accepted list contains less than 128, so I didn't necessarily have to vote against them to get others in, and quite frankly, most of the strong competitors have already been accepted.

Last edited by Mylene on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 28