• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Best Duo tournament nomination thread]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Issac & Miria from Baccano! - Because, quoting the title to episode 8, Isaac and Miria Spread Happiness Without Realizing It. Also, despite their incredible, practically idiotic, optimism, (or perhaps because of it?) they're successful robbers.

Definitely seconded. These two MUST be in the tournament -- either romance or non-romance. They made that show great for me and are quite possibly the most hilarious duo ever. Not that the show already wasn't great, but Baccano! wouldn't have been the same without them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies: Seita and Setsuko for non-romantic.
Brother and sister, the only respite from the horrors of war is each other. Despite a famine crushing them down, these two make the most out of life by simply being together.

No, I am not being "cheesy", but rather emotional. Such a sad movie. And yet, a beautiful one, in its own way.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey Frentymon, while I was looking for posts about Kaleido Star I couldn't help but notice you mentioning Sora as a great character. I will have to say that Sora and Layla might be my favorite non-romantic duo. The dedication between them during episodes 23-26 surpasses anything else I can think of. The scene where we find out that spoiler[Layla is not eating so she can match Sora's weight and the idea that she would put her big film career on hold and fly to the US from London just to appear anonymously for Sora's sake.] really moved me. The ending of the first series is definitely what solidifies this for me. spoiler[Layla with her injured arm knows she will ruin her chance of her performing at the Kaleido Stage (which means more to her than anything else) ever again, yet decides to push herself over her limit in order to perform one last time so that she and Sora can perform the ultimate show.]
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Hey Frentymon, while I was looking for posts about Kaleido Star I couldn't help but notice you mentioning Sora as a great character. I will have to say that Sora and Layla might be my favorite non-romantic duo.

I'll second Layla and Sora, but I think the end of the second season when spoiler[Layla becomes Sora's "demon" in order to lift her to the level of an "angel" ] completely solidified their connection to me.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
I would like to suggest Daisuke Arora and J of the anime Heat Guy J, if nobody has not yet. if someone has, i second it !
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Hey Frentymon, while I was looking for posts about Kaleido Star I couldn't help but notice you mentioning Sora as a great character. I will have to say that Sora and Layla might be my favorite non-romantic duo.

I'll second Layla and Sora, but I think the end of the second season when spoiler[Layla becomes Sora's "demon" in order to lift her to the level of an "angel" ] completely solidified their connection to me.

I never did finish the 2nd season.....after not being able to contain myself and having to look at the spoiler I must go and update my Netflix queue right now heh.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Nominations:

Éclair & Lumière from Kiddy Grade, clearly. I'll be kind to you all and assume you were waiting for me and they they haven't just been missed out.

I'll also chuck in

Ichika & Manatsu, and (for the shounen-ai included) Sei & Kai, both from Uta∽Kata

I'll second:

Kyon & Haruhi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Daisuke Niwa & Riku Harada from DNAngel
Hibiki Tokai & Dita Liebely from Vandread
Akito Tenkawa & Yurika Misumaru from Martian Successor Nadesico
Arashi Kishu & Sorata Arisugawa from X/Tsubasa Chronicle

Sakura Kinomoto & Li Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura
Sakura Kinomoto & Li Syaoran from Tsubasa Chronicle
Minoru Shiraishi & Akira Kogami from Lucky Star
Kino & Hermes from Kino's Journey
Yukito & Touya from Cardcaptor Sakura
Kirika & Mireille from Noir
Akito Hayama & Sana Kurata from Kodocha
Aoi Sakuraba & Kaoru Hanabishi from Ai Yori Aoshi
Chrono & Rosette Christopher from Chrono Crusade
Kaname Chidori & Sousuke Sagara from Fullmetal Panic

[edit]fixing some tags[/edit]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kimihiro Watanuki and Yuuko Ichihara from xxxHOLiC - I saw that Watanuki and Doumeki had been nominated, but I actually find this pair to be interesting as well, as their interaction becomes increasingly complicated. Between them there's elements of friendship, as well as teacher/student, mother/child, master/servant, owner/pet...

I Second this

I also like

Yano Motoharu and Nanami Takehashi From Bokura Ga Ita

Gohan and Videl Satan From Dragonball Z

Keitaro and Narusegawa From Love Hina
Finally
Kaoru Hanabishi and Aoi Sakuraba
Olliff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
velocet wrote:

Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh - what would Tomo do without Yomi? Their friendship is baffling and entertaining in equal measure.

Personally, this one seems a little forced. Although, I can sense the tension between these two characters, it hardly deserves a formal pairing. There are just so many other more natural duos to choose from.

That being said, they do have nearly polar opposite personalties, however, this doesn't mean they are a duo.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
hollaback!
all the way from spain, look at this dedication
I´d like to nominate one of my favorite couples of all time, Yusuke Urameshi and Keiko from Yu Yu Hakusho.

so much to do and so...well you know the rest.
critnal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Emiya Shirou and Saber - Fate/Stay Night
Awesome pair with a tragic love that can't last (same vein as simon and nia) they beat hercules and gilgamesh the king of heroes together...... i mean come on
Claus and Lavie - Last Exile
A great flying team who maneuvre all sorts of perils and bring about the destruction of an evil empire
Sawamura Seiji and Kasugano Midori - Midori Days
Funny as hell couple that keeps company during an extremely inconvenient/awkward situation. they deserve a medal for keeping their cool i reckon
Ikari Shinji and Ayanami Rei - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shinji's weakness aside these two continue to work well together and save the world on several occasions. i realise they don't have much of a relationship but they make a great team when they have to
Tsukune Aono and Moka Akashiya - Rosario + Vampire
These two find each other at a low point in their lives and decide to support each other in spite of their dangerous differences. and noone kicks as much arse as moka in the world of monsters
Shuji and Chise - Saikano
Most courageous love ever?? these guys struggle through the most depressing of circumstances and stay strong till the very end
Harima Kenji and Tsukamoto Tenma - School Rumble
These two are just hilarious. Their stupidity and ignorance compliment each other and land them in many amusing situations.
Nagisa Aoi and Shizuma Hanazano - Strawberry Panic
Easily most frustrating yuri relationship i've come across. It was fun and embarassing to see Nagisa be tossed around by Shizuma. Also spoiler[one of the sexiest kisses i've seen]

Has Shakugan no Shana been put out there yet? not that i support Shana and Yuji i find them pretty boring but i didn't see it mentioned.

And can i voice my support for Chrno and Rosette, Light and L, Kyon and Haruhi, and undeniably Simon and Nia... although i was thinking Simon and Kamina were a more formidable 'duo'
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
First things first: I've finally completely updated the nominations list; you can find it here! (it's still in the first post of the first page).

Regarding same duo but different series (Sakura and Syaoran in Cardcaptor Sakura and Tsubasa Chronicle), I'm only going to accept one out of the two duos. I'm going to make them a special case, and count them as together for now, but will hold a vote before the start of the tournament to see which pair people prefer. In the case of a tie, I'll step in and choose one.

Regarding parent/child relationships, I agree with Key, I think it'd be okay to include some rare exceptions that really stand out (ex. Solty and Roy), but if there's too many I'd have to start rejecting them. I'd say at most...3 (there's 2 I think right now).

On spoilers and the like, I've decided that spoiler couples won't be included, and that we should keep spoilers to a minimum throughout the tournament or at the very least always remember to incorporate spoiler tags when necessary. I feel like we lost a lot of potential participants last tournament due to spoilers, and I don't really want that to happen again. Last tournament, we kinda didn't have a choice since the theme itself (evil characters) was an invitation to spoilers, but for a vast majority of duos, the chemistry between the two characters is usually pretty apparent right from the very beginning (although the magnitude may very well not be).

next, and importantly...

Nominations are now closed!
[EDIT]: Okay, I'll continue to take nominations, but only if you think they're an extremely strong pick and necessary to have in the tournament, and please limit it to one per person, please. Thanks.

Which brings us to our next step...

Swapping in/swapping out

To be quite honest, out of all the tournaments I've witnessed here on ANN, we've never really had much with the nominations process. Usually, we just accept nominations until the bracket of 128 is filled, stop the nominations, most everyone is satisfied, we start the tournament. This time around though, we have over 200 nominations and only 128 slots, so I had to be extremely selective about putting nominations in the "Accept" section (notice that most nominations in that category have been seconded, and the select few that haven't are ones that I really feel should be in the tournament...).

So basically what's going to happen is...

No more nominations, but seconding and votes against will continue. If you feel a character that isn't in the "Accept" section belongs, cast a vote for them ("second"). If you feel a character in the "Accept" section doesn't belong, cast a vote against them (btw, don't be shy to cast votes against, it's perfectly fine).

After all this is done, we probably won't have perfectly 128, so we'll see what we'll do from there (probably divide into groups and vote in/out).

For now though, feel free to just provide all the votes for and against that you see fit!

New Rule: One person can vote for ("second") a maximum of 3 pairs only and can only vote against a maximum of 3 pairs only, regardless of which list the pair is currently in. So please, only second/vote against the pairs you feel the most strongly about. Thanks.

Last edited by frentymon on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:34 am; edited 3 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Before I go to sleep, I'd like to nominate 3 IMO worthy pairs to be included in the tournament (they'll go in "Pending")...

Nagisa Furukawa & Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad

Not sure why they haven't been brought up yet, but they have a very powerful friendship thus far which will inevitably end up in romance. I like them because not only are they the main pair in the series, they fit really well together and it's easy to see how much they appreciate having each other by their side.

Mai Kawasumi & Yuuichi Aizawa from Kanon 2006

Doesn't seem like any pair from Kanon has been brought up anyway, and I think they're the strongest best working duo in the series. He's like the bright shining star in her life, kinda...

Karada Iokawa & Hiro Iokawa from Asatte no Houkou

Perfect sister/brother relationship, it's extremely apparent how much Hiro cares for his little sister, and how much she looks up to him as a person.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Weren't Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask in the accepted list previously?

Oh well, I second these names:

frentymon wrote:

Removed list to avoid confusion.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
lets see I think I'll second

-Athrun Zala & Cagalli Yula Athha from Gundam Seed
-Yusuke Urameshi & Keiko Yukimura from Yu Yu Hakusho
-Yoko & Rakushun from Twelve Kingdoms

don't see any I really think shouldn't be in...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 28